Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Winter use

Hello,
Since I have a new trailer, and this is my first winter,I need some advice. I live in Seattle where it can and will dip below freezing from time to time I'm not sure what to winterize etc. I plan on using my trailer on and off throughout the winter but don't want to have any problems. Should I be draining all the water out? What do I do about the hot water tank? I currently keep the trailer plugged in so I have power and hot water but am kinda confused as to what I should be doing. Any help would be great.

Thank You
2012 210UDS

Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Team

It really depends on how cold it gets - and for how long. Where I live we get temps below freezing a couple times a year, but we don't often get a hard frost below 28F. And typically it's back up above freezing by 9:00 am or so at the latest. So probably not more than 6 to 8 hours at the most below freezing. That's just not long enough (or cold enough) for the water inside the trailer plumbing to get cold enough to freeze. Now if you have temperatures that are colder - like in the 'teens and/or for longer than 24-48 hours you may need to winterize.

I also use my trailer year round so I've never winterized it and never had a problem.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

LJAZ, you really know how to make a person jealous! Here in the hills of PA, well, I won't get into our temps....

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Don,

I'll remind you of that next summer when it's 110+ in the shade out here!

I grew up in Erie so I do remember how much fun shoveling that white stuff on a cold PA morning is.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #5

Winter will be here soon.

Friday the forecast is for up to 10 - 12 inches of snow and high winds for the Red River Valley area. That is in North Dakota and over into northern Minnesota.

I don't live there but it is just a forewarning of whats to come.

BTW - I love the changing seasons. One year in Ft. Lewis WA and a year in SE Asia was all I needed to know Christmas just isn't Christmas in the rain or jungle.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

Default Winter use

I'm glad we all figured out what the weather is around the country. I was hoping that someone in the Northwest would respond and give me some more helpfull info. So if it does freeze here for say a week will I have problems? What about putting an electric heater inside my trailer, will that help prevent freezing. Thanks again, just trying to prevent any problems. By the way it's 39 degrees currently in Seattle.

Thanks and enjoy!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Site Team

If you're going to be subject to below freezeing temps for a week I'd recommend winterizing. Even with an electric heater inside - most of the plumbing is outside and will still be subject to potential freezing.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

I'd say to winterize also.

The $12 - $15 cost for 4 - 5 gallons of RV antifreeze, dumping the tanks and pumping the antifreeze in is far less expensive than the cost to replace frozen/split water lines, holding tanks, drain 'p' traps, split faucets, etc. in my opinion. I'd say it's real cheap 'insurance'
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #9

Long and short of it...by and large if you live north of the 34th parallel, you would be safest winterizing. There are exceptions, on both sides; there are areas a bit north of there that may not have a long enough "cold snap" to worry about, and there are areas south of that that on occasion endure sub-freezing temps for several days (even Florida sometimes has several nights of sub-freezing temps). That being said, Seattle is well north of the 34th...I'd recommend winterizing.

IMHO, if it freezes for more than one night with a trailer that isn't being lived in full time, i.e., has the inside temperature maintained in the 65-70 degree range all the time, you are "safest" winterizing. Your system may take a couple of days, it may take a week of below freezing temps, but, weather being what it is, there are no "weather report" guarantees...waiting until the last minute is never a good idea.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #10

Eagle just curious as to why you need 4-5 gallons of anti freeze? With my old trailer I bypassed the fresh water tank and pulled the anti freeze directly from the gallon jug. I only needed 1 gallon this way. This will be my first year doing the FF but won't I be able to do the same thing?
Fredericksburg, Va.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #11

I would think so. I xt276 has the bypass for winterizing. By the time I did the kitchen faucet, bath faucet, outside shower, inside tub/shower, stool, poured some down each drain and some in the fresh water tank....used up 5 gallons.

Maybe I 'overran' the faucets and over-did the amount in the drains/stool but I rather 'overdo' it than have plumbing repairs in the spring.

The cost of Rv antifreeze is cheap compared to repair costs IMHO but then to err on the side of caution can be cost effective in some areas.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #12

Default Winterized for the hunting season!

I'm now winterized but I ain't finished using my trailer! Deer season and fall run Steelhead season is just around the corner. My question is after consuming beer... a few & wiskey... a few, does it hurt to pee a little into the toilet after the winterizing?

I'm thinking the added antifreeze in the drinks shouldn't hurt a lick?

I plan to use everything but the sinks & shower in the trailer...furnace & fridgerator stove & what not...Bottled water for making coffee & wash the dishes in the river if we don't go to town.

It's Michigan...whats a guy do put up his mobel cabin? Not!