Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Default ? Winterize black water flush ??

When you winterize your unit, do you winterize the black water flush inlet too?

Reason I ask is last spring the check valve for the black water flush started leaking bad and I had to replace it. It was not easy since required removing a wall panel to get at it ... and took awhile to locate exactly were it was.

Because I've seen the routing of the lines, etc. I believe it's a requirement to prevent having to replace the plastic check valve again next spring.

Opinions please.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
When you winterize your unit, do you winterize the black water flush inlet too?.....
Interesting. It never occurred to me that there may be water inside those lines, and never thought about it. My check valve broke a year ago, and now that I think about it, it was over the winter. So I'm thinking this may have been the issue!

My check valve is under the bathroom sink and easily accessed, so I may just unscrew one side and leave it that way over winter, and also push in the one way valve on the outside to allow air in to drain any water down into the black tank which has some anti-freeze in it.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

I hook up a small compressor to the main water in line using the white screw in adapter that accepts a piece of plastic pipe. I use the compressor air gun and set the pressure at 5lbs. I Go inside and start with the taps that are the furthest away and run them till the water stops and air comes out. Same as the flush.
The system is then filled with plumbers antifreeze using the on-board pump and I run the stuff into the flush and dump some down the tank to stop the dump valves from freezing. Have only had one problem with a pipe that had to be changed due to freezing and that was because somebody told me to just blow the lines out and not use antifreeze the first year we had the trailer.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

I'm with you Citycamper, blow the lines with compressed air than red pop thru the system using the bypass system. Also never thought about clearing the flush system but that'll go on my to do list.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

I just blow them out.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #6

I just took a closer look at my black water flush. No need for anti-freeze and probably no need to even blow out.
The way mine is plumbed, it drains naturally. There are two lines, one going into the one way vacuum valve and one down to the black tank. The intake outside has no one way valve and is wide open, the other line goes straight down into the black tank, no bends or elbows.
Just top be safe, I unhooked the vacuum check valve and was able to shake a few drops of water out of it, but both lines were/are wide open and dry.
Even if I wanted to add anti freeze, it would drip out onto the ground in one line, or flow straight in to the black water tank.