Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Default Winterizing FF233RBS

So I haven't bought the FF 233RBS just yet, but I'm reading up on how to maintain and operate it to get a better understanding of how much work it'll take, and I came across winterizing. I live in the Colorado mountains and from October through May it will get below freezing every night, and occasionally down to -20F for a few days. My issue is that I will want to use it throughout the winter to getaway to warmer climes, especially from March onwards and the winterizing procedure looks like quite a hassle if you're doing it 2-3 times per month.

I assume that the potential for damage comes from leaving water in the pipes, pumps, tanks and water heater that would then expand and cause failures. So, instead of winterizing by gravity draining and then adding RV antifreeze, could I just connect an air compressor and blow out all the water? Or are there places that water gets trapped and this wouldn't work? My thinking is that if I can blow out all the water then there will be nothing to expand and damage the plumbing system.

Cheers
Simon

AnimalHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

You're right the reason to winterize is to prevent water in the piping from freezing and causing damage. There are people who winterize by just blowing compressed air through to clean out all of the water. At least that's what I've read on various forums.

Full disclosure: I have never winterized my trailer as we only get a few nights a year where it drops below freezing and it usually only lasts a couple of hours.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

With temps going to -20, it would be a gamble to only blow out the water with air IMO. The water lines are not positioned to 'gravity flow' one way or another. Blowing out the lines removed most of the water but any left in with gravitate to any of the 'low points' in the water lines presenting a possible freeze/burst location.

Remember, you also have to winterize the drain lines that contain "P" traps below the sinks/tub/shower that are filled with water...and drain the black/grey water tanks.

I have blown out the water lines with air but always followed up with RV antifreeze. The few $$ cost for 2 or 3 gallons of antifreeze is cheap insurance over replacing damaged lines or fixtures.

That said, I can see where it would be a hassle doing it two or three times a month in the situation you describe....as it would be with a site built house.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's not the few $$ on RV antifreeze I care about, it's the hassle of doing the whole winterizing procedure 2-3 times per month. Maybe once I've done it a few times I'll have it down and be able to do it pretty quickly?

Cheers
Simon
AnimalHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

You are correct; once you do it a few times it's pretty quick.

I only do mine once a year so this old brain is a tad slower than some but it's faster and easier each time.

Oh, and with a by pass valve, the whole procedure is much easier and faster. If your unit is NOT so equipped, have one installed.