Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Default '05 Toyota 4Runner V8 towing a '12 214WSB

We bought a new 214WSB and my husband is concerned that the 4Runner isn't strong enough to tow the 214WSB...we have a stabilizer hitch and electric brakes...feels safe to me--We live in FL and have taken it to the Keys, but he's worried about towing it in mountainous areas...(I just think he wants a new car!! ) Anyone else tow with a 4Runner V8? It's a V8 with 4wheel drive and is the biggest engine Toyota put in the '05. In the camper we have the usual microwave, awning, etc. but travel without water in the tanks which adds weight too. Please let me know what you think...I want to go to NC in a couple of days and it won't be a very fun trip if he's worried about the car the whole time. Thanks for your input--

casadelydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

You should be fine. I pulled a similar weight trailer (22 ft , 39XX lbs) with a tacoma V6 .

Not everybody has a Ford truck.

tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng
You should be fine. I pulled a similar weight trailer (22 ft , 39XX lbs) with a tacoma V6 .

Not everybody has a big Toyota Tundra truck.
sorry couldn't resist stamping out the Ford part

OP you should be fine, the 4.7L Toyota V8 engine you have in the 4runner is rated to 7500#'s in their pickup truck of that year model.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

I followed your thread and other forums on the tundra. The new tundra will be my next truck. I heard 2014 is the redesign model .
tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

We purchased a 214WSD just two weeks ago and have towed it twice with our 2011 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 V6. Yes, we are pushing the limit of our 4Runner, but we did fine. We live in Colorado, and both trips involved going up/over mountain passes. Last weekend we averaged 12.2 mpg. Not sure how, but we did. We usually keep it at 60-65 on the highway. Have to go down to 2nd gear on the long uphills, but we do OK.

New tow vehicle is being researched ...

I'd say the V8 4Runner would be fine!

The Toyota Tundra is on the list to take a look at - we do like Toyota vehicles. The thing is ... we want to be prepared, should we decide to upgrade to a 5er in a few years. My husband says he isn't interested in upgrading, but he's been known to change his mind before. I don't want to have to buy yet another tow vehicle if we do upgrade.

I think we are leaning toward a gasser over diesel. From what we've read, the mileage isn't that much different when you're towing. Diesel is more expensive and isn't available everywhere. Yes, diesel has more power, but if we buy a sufficiently powerful gas truck, that solves that problem. Seems smart to consider a 3/4 ton.

Will look at the Tundra and the Ram for sure. Don't know too much about Ford or Chevy, but will do some homework. Seems brand loyalty is fierce!

Tori

2013 214WSD
2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail "Roxanne"
(Hopefully Soon to be Relieved by a New TV)
5 Bicycles, 2 Spinning Wheels, 1 Loom
Chris&Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #6

If you are considering a 3/4 ton truck, you may find yourself limited to diesel 3/4 ton and up are designed for "work"...whether towing or hauling and you cannot beat a diesel for "work". While diesel may not get you that much more mpgs when towing, and they do get better mileage while towing than gas, you do get a lot more of what towing needs. Torque. Horsepower doesn't work, horsepower goes fast. Torque works and diesels have a lot more torque than horsepower. My 6 cylinder diesel is only 305 HP, but, it has over 800 ft/lbs of torque. Look at the OTR trucks...you won't find a gasser in the bunch, because diesels get better mileage (if only a mile or two towing), last longer (the diesel in my truck will outlive me - it's first overhaul isn't until 300,000 miles) and can tow like there is no tomorrow and do it all day long without breaking a sweat. Torque does "work" and my diesel has 800+ ft/lbs of torque, you won't find torque like that in any gasser, no matter what the size and as the size of a gas engine goes up (to get "torque"), the fuel efficiency goes down.

We just got back from almost 11,000 miles (two miles shy) of cross country traveling. I averaged 10.8 mpg towing not quite 12,000 lbs. and it effortlessly climbed every mountain pass we came upon and did it at my towing speed of 58-62 mph without downshifting more than one gear and it does it all at 1500 to 2000 rpm. With the built in exhaust brake, I actually had to "give it gas" to make it go downhill. My Jeep Commander, with the Hemi, would only get 10.5 mpg towing 6,000 lbs and on many passes I would be in third doing 45 mph and then stay in third and ride the brakes going down the other side. When I'm not towing, around town, my 3/4 ton diesel truck gets 17.4 mpg in mixed driving while a friend of mine down the road with a lighter F-250 gasser and is lucky to get 13 by his calculations. Yes, gas is cheaper, but, usually only by 10% and a diesel usually gets better mileage by ~25-30%. As for "diesel not being everywhere"; that isn't what I found in my travels this summer. While not every gas station sells diesel, I don't think there is anywhere that is "no diesel to be found" and I was in some "nowhere, usa" towns. I carried spare diesel in 5 gallon cans "just in case". I unloaded the unused, untouched cans when we got back to use in my tractor. In fact, in traveling, I found more stations with diesel than not...this is a big "country" and being in the country means tractors and work trucks...diesel is more available than you (and I originally) thought. While in a downtown metro area, diesel may be scarce (and that will change), you won't be doing that much towing downtown.

Get what you feel you need and want, but, don't discount the value of diesel, particularly when talking about a 5th wheel. IMHO, you are going to start seeing more diesel automobiles by the big three in the very near future...the engines are as clean burning (some even more so) than gas, the engines are cheaper to make (less moving parts and precision needed), you can put in a smaller diesel and get the same performance as a larger gas engine, they get better mileage and they last virtually forever; the engine will outlast the sheet-metal of the body on most vehicles and diesel is actually cheaper to refine. Resale value on a diesel truck is also much higher than the same truck with a gas engine. Why? Because people buy 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to work (unless you are an "Urban Cowboy") and diesels work, cheaply and efficiently, over the long run, and a diesel isn't even considered "broken in" until around 75,000 miles. I've got 27,000 miles on mine and the mileage is actually getting better; it is just starting to get "broken in" My "high" for this trip was 12.8 mpg and that's towing almost 6 tons that is 8' wide and 12' 6" tall.

I've always been a "gas" person...I only towed bumper pulls that were relatively light or a utility trailer. Gas worked for those, but, when I went 5th wheel, I went diesel (almost had to with the size of the 5er) and, to be honest, if I ever go back to a lighter, smaller bumper pull, I'll keep my diesel, it is paid for and even towing my old 210WBS (I towed the 210WBS with the truck one summer just for kicks, felt kind of foolish at first, the truck is bigger than the 210WBS it was towing - I actually bought the diesel truck for work around the farm), it was much better at towing than my Hemi Jeep and I love my Jeep Commander. I'm a convert. I, literally, didn't know the 210WBS was back there. If you are going to stay with bumper pulls, a gasser is OK, but, if a longer, heavier bumper pull (30+ feet) or a 5th wheel of any size over 32' (and I'm one of those that don't believe in 1/2 ton towable 5ers) then a diesel may well be in your future and shouldn't be discounted out of hand for mileage and diesel fuel availability. Don't get me wrong, gas is fine, but, for "work", be it towing or hauling, IMHO, diesel wins hands down.

Addendum: I was just on another forum and looked around at some of the "gasser" mpg ratings that folks were saying they got; 5th wheel hauling with gas engines ranging from 6 to 8.1 liter gas engines the range was from 7 to 8.5 mpg. Larger gas engines to get the "umph" (torque) necessary for hauling larger loads spreads the mpg difference drastically. So yes, a 5.7 engine will get about the same mpg that the diesel gets when towing a load suitable for the 5.7 engine, but, when the load gets heavier and a larger gas engine is required for the same performance, the spread between a larger gas engine, say 7.7 for an average, and a diesel's 10.5 mpg average, gets much larger.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

2 miles shy of 11,000 miles???? Oh honey, I think I would've driven it around the block a couple of times just to get the 11K....

Thanks for everyone's input...btw, we're going to Chimney Rock NC to a campground called Hickory Nut Falls CG....SO beautiful!! It's interstate all the way, except the last 12 miles through the woods...I'll post pictures when we get back. Can't wait to open the windows and snuggle with the river in the background!!
Thanks again...!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

I started to go to our neighbor's place (he's about 2 miles away - we live in the "woods"; "around the block" is about 40 miles ) but, he doesn't have anywhere big enough to turn the rig around!!!

Have a great trip! We just came up out of Tenessee, via WV and the leaves down that way are just starting to turn...should be beautiful for your stay; it was warm during the day (low 70's) and crisp at night...just the way we like it

Don
Bronwyn

Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Thanks Don - we're packing as I type!! Can't wait to get outta this heat!! Might even leave tonight!!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

Lydia... Never did answer your question directly, but, yes, your 4Runner should be OK. Borderline, but, I have a friend that is towing that trailer with a Hemi Commander like mine. You're right at what I would call the "limit" if you were going to be in mountainous areas exclusively, but, the wanderings you're likely to be doing routinely from Florida the 4Runner should be just fine. Plan on a lot of mountains for long periods and Barry will "feel the strain"

Have a safe trip...we've only been back for 4 days and I'm jealous already!!!!

Don
Bronwyn