Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Default buying our first truck to tow

Hello. My husband and I purchased a 21 ft. Viewfinder two years ago and due to a series of unfortunate events, we have been unable to get it on the road. In the meantime, the vehicle we were going to tow with is no longer usable, so we are about to purchase a truck. We can't manage the price of new, but we know that there are certain essentials for a good towing experience. We also want to allow enough power in case we want to move up to a 30 foot tow along. What are the "must have" features in a tow vehicle? Also anyone know the difference between a vehicle with a towing package vs. a towing prep package? Thanks in advance for your advice.

crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Team

A 1/2 ton truck would be fine for your 21 ft Viewfinder but if you plan on towing a 30 ft trailer you will probably want a 3/4 ton truck. Here's a website that will help you calculate the towing capacity of a particular truck so you can play around with potential trailers you might buy to see what specs a tow vehicle needs to meet in order to tow it safely.
RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears

As far as must have features a tow package should include everything you will need. Heavy duty suspension, brakes, bigger alternator, radiator, transmission cooler, etc. Some optional features that are nice would be things like an integrated brake controller, backup camera and extended mirrors. Then of course for a larger trailer, a diesel engine is a plus.
The difference between towing package vs. towing prep package is likely just marketing by different manufacturers.
Don't be afraid to take time and do lots of research. Tow vehicles aren't cheap and you want to be sure what you get will do the job.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

Default Thanks for the prompt reply 4WD?

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. Is four wheel drive essential?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #4

I'll jump in an say that 4-wheel drive is not an essential - and the tow capacity for a 2-wheel drive is often higher than 4-wheel drive (if maxing out your tow vehicle's capability with those heavy 5th wheels and such.)
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Although 4 wheel drive is not essential for most towing, we discovered by accident that buying a 4 x4 Tacoma really opened up a lot of territory for us. We like to hike, using the trailer as a base camp. We take the truck out every day to remote trailheads.

Especially in Colorado and the Eastern Sierras, the 4x4 has meant that we can reach places that we never would have tried to reach. Fun!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #6

If your tow vehicle is also going to be a daily driver, you may review the cost of diesel vs gasoline. That is purchase cost and maintenance cost, not just fuel cost.

My TV is also a daily driver so staying away from an oil burner was a wise choice for me. However, if I would be towing over 60%of the time, an oil burner should be given great consideration IMO.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

I'll add my 2 cents:
We have towed trailers for 30+ years and generally have had gas engines (5.7L to 7.5L) and learned that a long wheelbase makes for a better TV. Then a few years ago I purchased a 2003 F250 7.3L Powerstroke. Oh my! It is totally stable with the trailer behind, can tow up any grade and gets better mileage. I now realize why I have heard people sing the praises of diesels for years. Regardless, from my experience you will likely need to upgrade the transmission cooler on any TV to a larger one and change your tranny oil more often, using synthetic if available. On my present F250 I added an Eaton TrueTrac which is a gear-type positraction differential that will not wear out. I have been in snow and sand without problems. I now am guaranteed of being driven by both rear tires rather than an open rear end which drives from one wheel.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

Thank you for all your replies and advice. We got a great deal on a Ford 250 gas truck with an excellent towing package. Now we have to get the RV back in shape from winter. Seems the cover leaked and so did the RV.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Nice! With that truck you'll barely tell you're towing that 21 ft viewfinder! Moving up to a 30 footer will be a breeze.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

We purchased the 2017 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L ecodiesel to tow our 18’9” funfinder (with a weight distribution hitch). We couldn’t be happier. It gets great gas milage (about 27 mpg highway) as our daily driver and pulls our trailer with no problems. Even pulling we get 12-14 mpg. Down side is the expensive oil changes, so I’ve learned to do those myself to balance things out. We now have 85k miles, about 1/2 of those towing. Not one issue.

Tags
#towing, #truck