Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Default Can a 05 gmc sierra denali tow a ff Toy hauler 276?

Hi all,

We are looking into buying a toy hauler. Something with a separate garage space preferably because we have a 10 mo son. We mostly do motorcycle track days and I'd prefer to keep the fumes away from the living space.

Can our 2005 gmc Sierra Denali tow this and the goodies? I've heard it's pushing the limits and could be dangerous?

Our bikes are about 450 lbs and there would be two of them. Then there are the other items to keep in mind too, right?

The specs are as follows:

Gmc
6L. V8
Tow cap 8100
Gcwr 13000

276 ff xtra
Axle Weight (lbs.) 4,240
Hitch Weight (lbs.) 870
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 2,760
Dry Weight (lbs.) 5,110
GVWR (lbs.) 7,870

Also the fresh tank is only 36 gallons. Is that small? Is the gvwr count water?

Sorry so many questions. I know nothing about toy haulers or rvs.

Thanks!
Ils.

Porkchop1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

You should be OK. You'll be approaching the limits of the trailer before you max out your GMC. The only concern will be tongue weight and weight distribution. With a nose heavy, 30' trailer, you are going to need a weight distribution hitch with built in anti-sway...Equal-i-zer (my personal favorite), Reese or Blue Ox, etc.

Toy Haulers are notoriously nose heavy...that means that as a percent of your total weight, your nose will be heavier than a comparable travel trailer without the "garage". This happens from everything in the trailer being "squashed up" into the front part (forward of the wheels). Even with the bikes in the back, you'll still be nose heavy. Normally for that length of trailer and its gross weight, 1,000 lb. bars on a weight distribution hitch would be adequate, however, for a toy hauler, my recommendation would be to go up one notch, say 1,200 lb bars. You want ideally 12-16% of your weight on the tongue for handling, but, toy haulers usually wind up with 15-18% just from the way they are built (similar to a 5th wheel...they tend to wind up with ~20% on the pin). For instance, if you are loaded to 7,000 lbs your tongue weight at 16% would be a tad over 1100 lbs and at 18% would be over 1200 lbs.

36 gallons for fresh water is adequate for most, a lot of people using toy haulers are hauling street bikes, trikes, ATV's, etc. and stay at campgrounds where obtaining water is not that big of an issue, usually water at the site or certainly in the campground. If you are taking dirt bikes to the track and only staying a night or two, 36 gallons will be "tight", but, doable. If you are staying longer, you'll need to figure, in advance, how to obtain more...either a water site at the track or taking additional water in containers...

Nobody's born knowing about RVs, fortunately, the forum is well populated with good folks that "have been around the block" and are more than willing to lend a hand!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply! I just wish I could walk through one. Nothing near me has any... I went to a sow yesterday and couldn't fina anyone that sells fun finders. I guess they aren't an east coast thing? The xlr seemed comparable and that was at the show. Any one see the two in person and can share thoughts?
Porkchop1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
roy

I might can offer some help. My first post BTW. We purchased a 2012 XT-276 the day after 12-26-2011. I have only pulled it home which was about 85 miles. It's winter here and we have no plans to go anywhere in it until May 2012.

I own a 2010 Toyota Tundra DC with the tow package and 5.7L V8, 4.30 rear end gearing. It's built to tow. Truck is rated at 10,000 tow, 1,600 payload. I did not buy a new weight distribution hitch to make the drive home. We traded in a little Blast 150 toy hauler and I used the 800 lb rated WDH and Husky sway. I plan on upgrading to the Equilizer 1,200 lb. hitch with built in sway. The dealer we bought the hauler from did not have that brand in stock. Long story short the 800 lb hitch did the job to get the hauler home.

Dry weight on the hauler with options (it's loaded) is 5,485. The Tundra pulled it great!! 9 mpg at 65-70 mph in rolling hills. The tundra has a 6 speed tranny which has two over drives. In Tow haul mode the truck used 6th gear a lot which it never did with before pulling the heavier more unaerodynamic Blast. i am totally happy with the XT-276.

I have mounted the pingel wheel chocks in the back and I am in the process of mounting my Pitbull strapless restraints that I use on two of my motorcycles. The XT-276 pulls great even with the under rated hitch I used. The truck was level and so was the trailer. The hitch could not take anymore weight though and I knew that but like I said it was to get me home.

We have camped in our old hauler which had a 36 gal. tank for a week before. We used the campsites shower facilities. They had no water hook up or sewer but we managed, it was fun.

Here are a few pic's.

In the driveway

Aligning the bikes for transport bracket mounting.

Hauler moth balled for winter under the ADCO cover.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #5

No. I burned up the rear end in my Avalanche pulling this trailer on the first trip. 3.73 rear end at that. Sold it and bought a Toyota Tundra. Pulls the trailer like night and day.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

I purchased the xt276 last year and haul a golfcart and 2 dirtbikes, love the trailer. However, while my 2008 F150 5.7 pulled it ok, that's all, ok. I'm thinking you will have trouble at times under load. I have since purchased a 6.7 2011 Ford F250 Diesel, can't tell the trailer is back there now. Concerning the water, we usually camp 2 to 3 days and the fresh water tank is adequate, but there is one problem that you have to keep your eye on. The shower drains into the black water tank, so your black water tank can fill up very quickly on you. I'm not sure why they did this as it would make more sense to drain shower into the grey water tank. I think most RV's are plumbed with the shower draining into the grey water. As you can imagine, if you primitive camp like we do, this could be a BIG problem.

Good luck.
thetymax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
roy

This is the first I have heard about the shower draining into the black tank. We have not used our trailer yet. We have a week long trip planned in about a month. I need to check into this on ours. If this is correct I will be disappointed in that design. Could be because the shower sits almost on top of where the black tank is. Still no excuse for this type design.

WERA Expert #826
Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
roy

Ok I just checked my black tank to shower setup and my shower drains as usual into my gray tank. So maybe Thetymax3 your plumbing is wrong or cruiser rv changed something along the line. My camper is a 2012 manufactured Dec 2011.

WERA Expert #826
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Mine is a 2011 xt276 purchased March 2011. I was very disappointed in this feature and called the manufacturer. They told me it was the new design so that black tank would drain better or something like that. I'm guessing they had enough calls to change it. I'm glad they did, wish they would change mine. Other than that we love the trailer.
thetymax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetymax3
Mine is a 2011 xt276 purchased March 2011. I was very disappointed in this feature and called the manufacturer. They told me it was the new design so that black tank would drain better or something like that. I'm guessing they had enough calls to change it. I'm glad they did, wish they would change mine. Other than that we love the trailer.
Could have been a design change all around. Ours has a fresh water flush where you screw a water hose into the side of trailer specifically for back flushing the black tank. Not sure how effective it will be as we have not used the camper yet. I'll know in about 4 weeks. I am glad our shower drains into the gray tank but it would not have been a deal killer if it was similar to yours.

WERA Expert #826
Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #11

Roy,

Where did you get the cover for your 276?

Thanks
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Roy,

Thanks
Bought it at the dealer time of purchase. It's not that great it rips very easily. I expected a lot more quality for darn near $400. I'll get two years out of it and that's about what everyone else has told me. It does keep the hauler clean during the winter. I have two rips I need to repair before using it this coming winter. It comes with a basic repair kit and they will send you free repair pieces in the mail if you ask. It is a ADCO brand the one for high moisture climates like we have down here in Ms. They have different types. Our winters are rainy and damp. It's not that hard to get on and off but you cannot have any wind blowing.

WERA Expert #826
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Roy,

Thanks
Bought it at the dealer time of purchase. It's not that great it rips very easily. I expected a lot more quality for darn near $400. I'll get two years out of it and that's about what everyone else has told me. It does keep the hauler clean during the winter. I have two rips I need to repair before using it this coming winter. It comes with a basic repair kit and they will send you free repair pieces in the mail if you ask. It is a ADCO brand the one for high moisture climates like we have down here in Ms. They have different types. Our winters are rainy and damp. It's not that hard to get on and off but you cannot have any wind blowing.

Thanks for the response.
If it's that flimsy for $400, I think I will find something else. Or, I may rent indoor storage for the winter months the TH won't be used.