Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Default Do I even "NEED" a WDH?

My "new to me" TV is a '04 Dodge RAM 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel motor. It's a QuadCab with the SLT trim package. 4x4 the tow package and 3.73 gears.

My current TT is a '07 FunFinder x210. We travel fairly light and while I've never weighed the rig when loaded, I'm pretty sure the it's never come near the GVWR of 7360 lbs posted on the load sticker. A data sheet for the '08 FunFinder X product line gives the dry weight for the x210 as 3312 lbs. I'm thinking that the '07 version is a bit heavier dry since I doubt that the cargo capacity of mine is 4012 lbs! I should get some baseline weights before I load up for the Summer camping season.

My TV has a payload capacity of 2220 lbs and a GCWR of 20,000 lbs. While many sing the praises of the various WDH systems, I'm wondering if I truly "NEED" a WDH for my current combo of TV & TT?

I posted in another thread, the problem that I was having with the WDH that I purchased but, alas, no replies with suggestions. Several friends have suggested that my TV will handle my TT without a WDH but suggested that a anti-sway system would be helpful.

That's my current plan but I'm always open to considering opinions from those with experience here on the FF forum. Thanks
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Check what your vehicle's maximum towing capacity is with a weight carrying hitch. It will be significantly less than the gross trailer weight number the manufacturers typically advertise. It should be in the owners manual or listed in the manufacturers towing guide, probably in the fine print. I know my Chevy 1500 towing capacity is 9600 lbs with a WD hitch but it's reduced to 5000 lbs (IIRC) with a weight carrying hitch.

By the way, you can find the brochure for your trailer posted in the "FILES' section. The link is in the black bar at the top of the page.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Check what your vehicle's maximum towing capacity is with a weight carrying hitch. It will be significantly less than the gross trailer weight number the manufacturers typically advertise. It should be in the owners manual or listed in the manufacturers towing guide, probably in the fine print. I know my Chevy 1500 towing capacity is 9600 lbs with a WD hitch but it's reduced to 5000 lbs (IIRC) with a weight carrying hitch.

By the way, you can find the brochure for your trailer posted in the "FILES' section. The link is in the black bar at the top of the page.
Thanks LJAZ, for the info and suggestions. The Owner's Manual for my RAM is not so specific as to actual weight capacities. It states that a class IV frame mounted hitch can tow up to 12,000 lbs "depending on vehicle equipment".

RE: WDHs, the manual does state that they are required for tongue weights over 350 lbs. The data sheet for my '07 FF x210 (thanks for that info too!) lists a hitch weight of 360 lbs (which I'm guessing is when unloaded). I am amazed that the data sheet DOES indicate a cargo capacity of 4023 lbs!

It appears that I should be using a WDH.
Thanks again.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
TCP

Default No needa

While it can make towing a bit more stable, there is no real need in your case. Most 1/2 ton hitches are rated 500lb/5000lbs weight carrying and at least 1000lb/10000lbs with WDH. I would think your 3/4 ton is rated at least the same. There is often an actual sticker on the hitch itself.

One reason that the limit is 500lb weight carrying is that rear springs on a 1/2 ton are somewhat soft...yours are significantly stiffer. Place a lot of weight far behind the rear axle on a truck can make the front end lighter and feel floaty or wander. With a cummins block up front and your wheelbase, there is very little chance of making the front feel light with your trailer.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

There are 2 ways to figure this out. The first is take the truck to a scale and weigh it to get the weight percentage for the front and rear. Hook up the trailer fully loaded like you were headed out to the campsite and go back to the scale and weigh it again. If the weight on the front is close and the trailer is riding level you are good to go.

The second way is to measure from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well both front and rear. Hook up the trailer and re-measure. If its close you should be good (1/2"?). More important how does it steer?

I would also make sure your trailer rides level. With my F250 and 30' 276, I squatted about 2" in the rear & lifted about the same in the front which made the steering very light. I use a Blue OX Sway Pro which also has a friction sway control built in.

You have plenty of truck, so I would be more concerned with how the steering feels.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

Default Re: No needa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCP
While it can make towing a bit more stable, there is no real need in your case. Most 1/2 ton hitches are rated 500lb/5000lbs weight carrying and at least 1000lb/10000lbs with WDH. I would think your 3/4 ton is rated at least the same. There is often an actual sticker on the hitch itself.

One reason that the limit is 500lb weight carrying is that rear springs on a 1/2 ton are somewhat soft...yours are significantly stiffer. Place a lot of weight far behind the rear axle on a truck can make the front end lighter and feel floaty or wander. With a cummins block up front and your wheelbase, there is very little chance of making the front feel light with your trailer.
This seems to be what most of the local folks are telling me. The original owner of my truck had it setup for 5th wheel towing. Beefier springs and maybe ~6" of lift. That being said, those that utilize a WDH can't all be wrong. If I can find a reasonably priced adjustable drop shank, I'll probably install my WDH. If not, I agree with what is stated above and will probably be able to safely tow my FF x210.
RipVan

Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

I have a bit bigger trailer then you and 3500 dodge but I don't use a WD hitch. I have towed my x240 both empty and loaded to almost max weight and never had any sway or sag issues.