Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #21

In the tow/haul mode, I have not experienced much more than a few mph drop before mild acceleration (not 'to the floor') to maintain the preset speed.
I've no idea if that is due to the mfg or the vehicle age as only had Dodge Ram pickups for decades and never owned a GMC or Cheby.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Another point is, while the front of the trailer acts as a giant sail punching a hole thru the air, there is a low pressure area created behind the "flying brick" that pulls it rearward as well. That's how the back gets so darn dirty, everything gets sucked up and sticks there.

My problem with the cruise control is, while I'm willing to allow a 5 or even 10 MPH drop on hills, it will floor the accelerator at as small as a 2 MPH drop. If it had tow/haul programming I'm sure that would be a non-issue. It's like me, just too old.
I guess I need one of 'em thar new fanged vehicles. But, at only 46K miles our '95 has many more years in it. (I'm hoping). It has the (rare) Z82 RPO towing package and room for grandbabies....
A newer TV may help you... The Fuel Injection and computers in the newer models are better... Can you use a programmable computer control module in your TV... have you looked into it at all; that might help...

My '013 Chevy Silverado also has the same issue with the cruise control and when running empty, it makes little difference, but when towing and it drops a couple mph, it acts like it is trying to pass and jump down a gear or even two... I found I save a bunch in mileage by driving with the cruise control off, a bit tiresome, but saves several mpg on long trips... maybe a Chevy thing (See Eagle's Post), I don't know... I have a HD six-speed automatic and am told Chevy started to install the HD eight-speed in '015.

I have the power, but the truck acts like the power band is too high... I am starting to research a programmable computer module to see what that might do... I really want to put all 420 ponies to work...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
APD

Our '95 was the last year for the ODB1 systems. The newer systems have better sensors, better (more accurate) controls, the programming and memory is more advanced each year.
John, aftermarket plug and play programmers are available for most trucks. The ODB2 access port allows them to connect without hassle and be removed for emissions testing. Some allow an interface with software loaded on your laptop for fine tuning/tracking. Companies like Bully Dog and many others have them for sale. Some are marketed as being especially for towing.
How good such things actually work and whether or not they will do harm to your truck would be the sticky question. Then there's always that cost-benefit thing.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #24
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
A newer TV may help you...
Speaking of which...the new Nissan XD with that V8 Cummins turbo diesel looks mighty nice. The engine specs read like a wish list for towing.......
I could start a GoFundMe page.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Speaking of which...the new Nissan XD with that V8 Cummins turbo diesel looks mighty nice. The engine specs read like a wish list for towing.......
I could start a GoFundMe page.......
There ya go... LoL
My Chevy has like 42K on it and is like new... It will be a while (I hope) before I need to look... I am curious about the computer module programmer and have seen some that do not need a laptop to change programming, but I am leary and concerned about voiding my warranty, and as you mentioned, damage and is it really cost effective... I will probably continue to survive with the wing, regular maintenance, and knowledgeable driving habits...

My FF is heavier than a non-Toy Hauler of the same size, but still has a gross weight of around 6,095 lbs. and my Silverado has the Max Tow Package with a tow rating of 10,900 lbs. and the 6.2 liter gas engine. It tows our XT-190 Xtra FF just fine. Even when the FF is loaded with an additional 500 lbs. of ATV, it only lowers the hitch about 1/2 inch and I do not need an equalizer/stabilizing hitch.... I am really happy and with the wing adjusted best I can get it, we still manage around 10 - 12 mpg, IF I keep the speed under 65 mph... It will pull easily way faster than one should pull and way above the speed limit, but these speeds are not only costly and dangerous, but they take the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable, relaxing drive!! Besides, I would rather slow down and "Smell the Roses", so to speak...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #26

I average 12 to 13 mpg with the cruise on and tow haul mode. Travels very effortlessly. That's hills, mountains and normal traveling. I have had 15 and 16 mpg on flat land with no head wind. As mentioned the tow haul mode activates an anti sway protection and engine braking that works very well with the General Motors gas trucks. Most times I do not have to use the brakes if I kick the cruise off in time. Saves on wear and tear. Truck and trailer combination seem to work well together. Trailer seems to be balanced nicely and is not really noticeable even when full of water as I made sure the fresh water tank was over the axles when shopping for a unit.

Silverado
Silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #27

I installed a cold air intake system to my TV the other day. Reports are it 'should' enhance mileage some but no idea yet as no trips taken and haven't put on enough miles empty to tell.

https://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_i...00_pickup/6.4l

Nope, didn't pay the price in the listing ... found for less elsewhere plus a $50 off coupon & free shipping. Not cheap but frugal.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:31 AM   #28

Eagle: You will really hear a difference in the sound. Keep us posted on any gas mileage increases. It might be hard to notice any if it has a nice roar to it. You may have your foot into it more often.lol Silverado
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #29

Well took my longest most challenging trip over the Mothers day weekend. Los Angeles to Modesto, CA, up and over the Grapevine. 300 miles one way. The Grapevine wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Got 11.5 MPG going NB and 12.5 returning.
1kotonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #30

Our Silver Bullet is a 2003 F250 Crewcab longbed with the 7.3L IH Powerstroke. In our case I looked around for 6+ months before I found the perfect tow vehicle for us. I know it is overkill for our F281BIKS but it is the last year of the IH diesel engine which gives us plenty of room and capacity. The previous owner said it was >$50K back in 2003. I had F350 Fords with 460 gas engines back in the day and now really like having a diesel. Fuel mileage in the foothills of the Gold Country average 10-11mpg with a little improvement at steady freeway speeds.
JimboFunFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #31

Default 2003 F250 7.3L Powerstroke fuel mileage

Our Silver Bullet is a 2003 F250 Crewcab longbed with the 7.3L IH Powerstroke. In our case I looked around for 6+ months before I found the perfect tow vehicle for us. I know it is overkill for our F281BIKS but it is the last year of the IH diesel engine which gives us plenty of room and capacity. The previous owner said it was >$50K back in 2003. I had F350 Fords with 460 gas engines back in the day and now really like having a diesel. Fuel mileage in the foothills of the Gold Country average 10-11mpg with a little improvement at steady freeway speeds. The 4-speed auto trans pulls strong even in 4th gear and has only heated up during some steep pulls in 2nd gear. I am thinking about replacing the stock trans cooler with a larger one from the newer PS diesels. A friend told me it was a simple bolt-on upgrade but he did have to fab some adapters for the hydraulic lines.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Eagle: You will really hear a difference in the sound. Keep us posted on any gas mileage increases. It might be hard to notice any if it has a nice roar to it. You may have your foot into it more often.lol Silverado
Yup ~ noticed right off the huge difference in sound of air being sucked into the engine. I wasn't enthused about it at first by have gotten used to it now...helps me keep a lighter foot on the gas.

I did make a 700 mile run with the toy hauler loaded plus two Harley's (Ultra Classic and Road Glide) after installing the cold air intake system.

The trip didn't gave a true indication as fought a strong prairie wind for 350 miles going and a more moderate wind on the return trip.

The performance was a tad better for getting up to speed but unable to realize an increase in fuel economy given the wind conditions. For sure, there was not a decrease in fuel economy so that's a plus.

No more trips this year as goes into indoor winter storage in 4 days and won't see it again until spring.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #33

I've talked to a number of people that have towed with diesel in the past but are now towing with gasoline powered vehicles Many say that towing with gas is superior given today's modern engines and transmissions. Further, given the cost of a diesel fuel and long term maintenance on diesel engines, it makes more economic sense to tow with a gasoline powered vehicle. Let the arrows fly.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
Our Silver Bullet is a 2003 F250 Crewcab longbed with the 7.3L IH Powerstroke. In our case I looked around for 6+ months before I found the perfect tow vehicle for us. I know it is overkill for our F281BIKS but it is the last year of the IH diesel engine which gives us plenty of room and capacity. The previous owner said it was >$50K back in 2003. I had F350 Fords with 460 gas engines back in the day and now really like having a diesel. Fuel mileage in the foothills of the Gold Country average 10-11mpg with a little improvement at steady freeway speeds. The 4-speed auto trans pulls strong even in 4th gear and has only heated up during some steep pulls in 2nd gear. I am thinking about replacing the stock trans cooler with a larger one from the newer PS diesels. A friend told me it was a simple bolt-on upgrade but he did have to fab some adapters for the hydraulic lines.
I did the calculation for our recent leg of ~400 miles mostly on the Interstate and the Silver Bullet got 13.25 mpg, I know that is far better than I ever got from a gas engine pulling that much weight..
Old 10-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I've talked to a number of people that have towed with diesel in the past but are now towing with gasoline powered vehicles Many say that towing with gas is superior given today's modern engines and transmissions. Further, given the cost of a diesel fuel and long term maintenance on diesel engines, it makes more economic sense to tow with a gasoline powered vehicle. Let the arrows fly.
I'll start with a simple salvo: These high tech gas engines might make it 200-250,000 miles, right? The 7.3L diesels routinely go 350-500,000 miles (I know several owners of high mileage motors). The weak link is the transmission. A heavy duty diesel trans with 4 speeds will set you back about $3500-4000. One of those high tech 8 speed transmissions are north of $5000 from what I have heard. Next!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
I'll start with a simple salvo: These high tech gas engines might make it 200-250,000 miles, right? The 7.3L diesels routinely go 350-500,000 miles (I know several owners of high mileage motors). The weak link is the transmission. A heavy duty diesel trans with 4 speeds will set you back about $3500-4000. One of those high tech 8 speed transmissions are north of $5000 from what I have heard. Next!
Everything you say has a lot of merit, but you did not mention the added $4K+ cost to buy a diesel engine and the cost of maintenance which is significantly more than a gas engine. Furthermore today's gasoline engines use synthetic oils which keep them on the road much longer than the past.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #37

Perhaps there is a difference depending on whether one buys new or 'gently' used. I have always been in the used camp. When I bought the diesel F250 it was 12 years old and I paid 20% of what it was when it was new. The trans (and some other items) had already been replaced and there was no significant premium for the diesel. The economics appeared to be in my favor and time will tell whether I made the right decision. Except for the frequency of the oil changes I have not encountered any high-cost repairs. Note that I tend to get parts from Amazon or RockAuto and install them myself.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Everything you say has a lot of merit, but you did not mention the added $4K+ cost to buy a diesel engine and the cost of maintenance which is significantly more than a gas engine. Furthermore today's gasoline engines use synthetic oils which keep them on the road much longer than the past.

^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^

Know more than one person that got rid of their oil burner for gas powered. Calculate it out from initial upgrade cost for a diesel, increase maintenance cost and unless a commercial business.....gas is the way to go for most.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #39

But diesel SOUNDS so cool. My gas truck sounds like a car. Boring.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
But diesel SOUNDS so cool. My gas truck sounds like a car. Boring.

REmove the factory muffler and put on a Glass pack.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FLOW-TECH...-inch/47843134