Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

Default Husky Centerline vs. Equalizer

Hello all,

I purchased a new Fun Finder 31 BH this year. It's 35' long and weighs about 6900 lbs with a tounge weight of 780 lbs and I pull it with my 2009 F150. The trailer came with a Eaz-Lift round bar style weight distribution system and sway bar. I've had it hooked up a couple of times and while the truck is pretty level with this weight distribution system but the sway bar performs poorly at best. If I try to tighten it enough that it prevents the sway then the truck doesn't steer well at all. If I try to loosen it so the steering is better then the sway is bad.

I've been reading about the Husky Centerline TS and the Equalizer system. Both seem to have their pros and cons. I'm curious to hear from you if you have experience with either or both of these systems. Are they loud? Can you do anything to prevent the noise? Do they help prevent sway on a unit as tall and long as the 31 BH? How does the tow vehicle perform? etc...

Thank you in advance for your help

FunnerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #2

I can't speak for the Husky, but I do have an Equalizer that works perfectly. I tow a 2012 214WD with my 2005 F150 and have zero sway or steering issues. It did creak a bit when new but I bought a set of bracket pads from Equalizer (about $8 IIRC) and it quieted right down - Didn't notice a change in performance either.

If I had to replace my Equalizer for some reason, I'd buy another in a heartbeat (but I'd buy one with the ball installed - It takes a special thin wall socket and a big torque wrench to set properly)...

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL FlyFisher View Post
I can't speak for the Husky, but I do have an Equalizer that works perfectly. I tow a 2012 214WD with my 2005 F150 and have zero sway or steering issues. It did creak a bit when new but I bought a set of bracket pads from Equalizer (about $8 IIRC) and it quieted right down - Didn't notice a change in performance either.

If I had to replace my Equalizer for some reason, I'd buy another in a heartbeat (but I'd buy one with the ball installed - It takes a special thin wall socket and a big torque wrench to set properly)...

I SECOND ^^^^^ THIS.

My camper/tow vehicle indicated below. I have never experienced on iota of sway using the Equal-i-Zer hitch.

The Equal-i-Zer hitch has been voted by readers of "Trailer Life" magazine as the best 7 years in a row .. 2012 to 2018 https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

IF I WERE FORCED to use a different hitch it would be a Hensley ~ but they are quite expensive!
https://www.hensleymfg.com/
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Did you purchase the pads online?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL FlyFisher View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Did you purchase the parts online?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilli126 View Post
Hello all,

I purchased a new Fun Finder 31 BH this year. It's 35' long and weighs about 6900 lbs with a tounge weight of 780 lbs and I pull it with my 2009 F150. The trailer came with a Eaz-Lift round bar style weight distribution system and sway bar. I've had it hooked up a couple of times and while the truck is pretty level with this weight distribution system but the sway bar performs poorly at best. If I try to tighten it enough that it prevents the sway then the truck doesn't steer well at all. If I try to loosen it so the steering is better then the sway is bad.

I've been reading about the Husky Centerline TS and the Equalizer system. Both seem to have their pros and cons. I'm curious to hear from you if you have experience with either or both of these systems. Are they loud? Can you do anything to prevent the noise? Do they help prevent sway on a unit as tall and long as the 31 BH? How does the tow vehicle perform? etc...

Hi! I too have no problems and wonder if something might have some play (i.e., it moves a little) or is defective with the antisway. Over the years I have used an antisway on vehicles which would easily oscillate (sway) the trailer and have always found them effective in achieving stability. Would you want to include a couple photos of the parts with your trailer connected and the load bars under tension? Something doesn't seem right. Could you not be putting enough preload on the bars?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Did you purchase the pads online?
Yes, I purchased the pads on-line to eliminate the 'creeking' mostly when turning while backing up. With the pads, there is no noise from the Equal-i-Zer hitch.

Don't recall if directly from Equal-i-Zer or Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9...gateway&sr=8-2 And IIRC I also purchased the tube of lubricant at the same time...same place.

Also available here: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5-01-5150.html
Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Yes, I purchased the pads on-line to eliminate the 'creeking' mostly when turning while backing up. With the pads, there is no noise from the Equal-i-Zer hitch.

Don't recall if directly from Equal-i-Zer or Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9...gateway&sr=8-2 And IIRC I also purchased the tube of lubricant at the same time...same place.

Also available here: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5-01-5150.html
How much do you preload the equalizer bars? I think I normally have them connected about two chain links tighter than they would when level. This amount varies with the load rating of the bars and their length. It is very important to have adequate preload on the bars.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

Chain links?

The only chains are the safety chains between the tongue and the tow vehicle.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Chain links?

The only chains are the safety chains between the tongue and the tow vehicle.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

?
Sorry, I was referring to the chains that connect to the Eaz-Lift round bar style weight distribution system. I was wondering if there is enough preload.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
Sorry, I was referring to the chains that connect to the Eaz-Lift round bar style weight distribution system. I was wondering if there is enough preload.
Oh, you were referring to the OP and not the last post with your question, misunderstood.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Hello all,

ewilli126,
Is it possible that you have any oil or grease on the sway bar or pads for the sway bar? The sway bar should be bare metal and the pads dry, just like on a disc brake. I have used sway bars for 30 years or more and never had a problem.
Also, regarding the chains that connect the Eaz-Lift round bar style weight distribution bars to the trailer frame. I was wondering if there is enough preload. Do you have the tension of the chains being 2-3 links shorter than they would be if there was no tension on the chains?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #13

Just wanted to add my vote for Equalizer. By far the best anti-sway and weight distribution system, IMHO.

Properly installed nothing works better.

Easy to connect/disconnect, no chains, and no need to remove bars just to back up like some other styles.

And yes, get the pads for the L-brackets and use the Equalizer brand grease on other parts.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Site Team

Did you weigh the tongue, or are you going by the mfg specs? If not, you may want to check it to make sure that it's within 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If there's not enough tongue weight changing hitches probably won't solve your problem.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #15

What LJAZ said above and would add to weight the tongue when loaded for a trip. If your fresh water tank is filled & forward of the axles, it will make a difference as water weights about 8 pounds per gallon.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #16

IMHO - that's a lot of trailer for an F-150. Yes, the F-150 has the power to tow (pull) the trailer based on the specs of the truck and trailer. Then load each up - I would think that would put the truck at the limit of being able to control the weight it is pulling. That being said, Equil-i-zer is one heck of a WDH. Just me. . .
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #17

ewilli26-
I agree with the positive comments above about the Equal-i-zer system. We have used the 10K lbs. version on our 24' trailer for two years and about 10K miles now and it performs flawlessly. If I had bought it new, I probably would have gotten the 6K lbs. version, but the used price on Craigslist was too good to pass up and it works just fine on our 5-6 K lbs. trailer. Note that Equal-i-zer is both a weight distribution and anti-sway system in one. That being said, I know nothing about the Husky system. It may be good also.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunfinder View Post
ewilli26-
I agree with the positive comments above about the Equal-i-zer system. We have used the 10K lbs. version on our 24' trailer for two years and about 10K miles now and it performs flawlessly. If I had bought it new, I probably would have gotten the 6K lbs. version, but the used price on Craigslist was too good to pass up and it works just fine on our 5-6 K lbs. trailer. Note that Equal-i-zer is both a weight distribution and anti-sway system in one. That being said, I know nothing about the Husky system. It may be good also.
What would you guess might be the downside of using a higher lb rated Equal-I-zer hitch system? They are so close in price why not just opt for the highest rated 1400lb/14000lb? The only thing I can think of is that the bars will not deflect as much. Comments?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

I really don't understand the actual engineering of weight distribution hitches well enough to say. I agree the 14K might likely be quite stiff, maybe too stiff for a trailer in the 5K to 9K category. It seems there is some ride quality value in the hitch area still being flexible enough to ride up and down and my 10 does that. 14K bars sound scary stiff....like your truck and trailer would become almost a single stiff board.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
What would you guess might be the downside of using a higher lb rated Equal-I-zer hitch system? They are so close in price why not just opt for the highest rated 1400lb/14000lb? The only thing I can think of is that the bars will not deflect as much. Comments?
When I purchased my toy hauler, also purchased the Equal-I-Zer hitch, 10,000 pound rated. I inquired if a 12,000 would be better and the dealership said it would be to stiff for my toy hauler and would give a harsher ride plus cause more jarring of the camper in travels. Said the hitch should be sized to the load being towed.

I figured, the dealer was in the business and knew far more than I and have been very pleased with the hitch to date.