Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Default I'm thinking about using a wireless backup camera for normal driving.

I just went to my local Menards Lumber Yard and I found on clearance a Peak Digital wireless backup camera with night vision for $69. This is the first one I had seen by Peak that is both digital and IR night vision. Obviously, if this works, it would be a great help in backing into camp sites, but was wonder if anyone uses such a camera for normal driving to replace the rear view mirror? The backup camera comes with the camera unit and a color 4.3 inch color monitory that can reverse the image. I figure if it has the wireless range between the back of the TT and the front of the TV, it might be worth while.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Default TT Backup Camera

I have also been looking for a backup camera that can be mounted to the rear of our TT except I'm more interested in hard wired vs wireless. Too many complaints about bad signal from wireless, But, if you can get your hands on a $69 wireless camera w/monitor, go for it. If it doesn't work good maybe you can return it or use as backup camera for your TV if you don't have one. Let us know how it works if you get one.
Thanks

mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I just went to my local Menards Lumber Yard and I found on clearance a Peak Digital wireless backup camera with night vision for $69. This is the first one I had seen by Peak that is both digital and IR night vision. Obviously, if this works, it would be a great help in backing into camp sites, but was wonder if anyone uses such a camera for normal driving to replace the rear view mirror? The backup camera comes with the camera unit and a color 4.3 inch color monitory that can reverse the image. I figure if it has the wireless range between the back of the TT and the front of the TV, it might be worth while.
Hi twinster2,
I bought a similar BU camera at Costco, just before making that AZ trip in Feb., but didn't install yet. The one I purchased says wireless, but that is only for the visual transmission... the power to the camera is hard wired into the back-up (BU) light wiring. My trailer does not have BU lights... so, I need to pull the trailer power plug and see if it even has the wire and the trailer tail lights to see if there is a BU wire there. If you haven't checked your installation directions, you might want to...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

I've been looking into back up cams for a while, but haven't found a wireless with enough range to reach to the back of the TT. Will be following this thread and will post anything I find as well. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retelect View Post
I've been looking into back up cams for a while, but haven't found a wireless with enough range to reach to the back of the TT. Will be following this thread and will post anything I find as well. Thanks, Joe
Hi Retelect,
How far from back of your TT to the cab of your TV and is your TT 5th wheel or Tag along... The instructions with mine I think says 30 or 35ft. I haven't measured or even installed yet,but the distance from TV cab to back of TT is about thirty feet and the signal will need to pass through the trailer and truck... Hmmm, I hope it works or if I can't return, it will be Craigslist or Wright's County Swappers... $$$$ Hmmm, I am going to pull the box and measure to see what I really have...

Thanks much...

Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

Hi John, My overall connected length is just a bit over 40' (FF 189 FDS) so from dashboard to rear of FF would be in neighborhood of 35'. In my ideal dream world I thought it would be nice to have a BU cam compatible with my factory in dash BU cam screen and have a switch on the dash to switch between the two. That would be a wired cam installation. Good luck with your installation and let us know how it goes. Thanks
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #7

I have been using a Magellan back up camera on my Fun Finder for two years now. Note the wireless camera does not connect with just any Magellan GPS model, so you have to do your research. I mounted the "license frame" camera unit just under the roof line on the rear right back wall of the TT and it provides a good wide-angle view behind my trailer and I find it very useful. My display is the large screen (7" I think) Magellan Roadmate which I hang to the left of the steering wheel, just above my blinker lever by the long suction cup arm which comes with the GPS. I do not use it for backing up...always make sure my wife is out watching. The picture is OK, not great and it is worthless in the dark. Also, bright sun makes it hard to see the display.
Regarding the wireless aspect. I found it invaluable not to have to hard-wire from the dashboard all the way back to the rear of the TT. It would be just one more thing to have to couple and uncouple. Before the install, I tested the unit's sending capability. It was insufficient to reach the dash display from the rear of the TT (and I have a fairly short TT) so I ran the wires from the camera though the trailer all the way to the inside lower wall at the front of the trailer (this is the storage compartment on my model) and placed the wireless sending unit there. That halved the distance to the wireless receiving unit on the dash and it worked.
I believe there are better cameras out there and would advise looking for one that has infrared so it will work in the dark. If anyone knows of a company that uses a wireless camera that can connect in a similar way to a smartphone, please let us all know. I would dump Magellan in a New York minute to have the display quality of a modern phone.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #8

jbfunfinder, thanks for the great info, here's a link for a smartphone/ipad camera
http://www.amazon.com/4UCAM-Backup-C.../dp/B00HWB91VY
Didn't realize sending unit was separate, putting it in the passthru was a great idea.
Thanks, Joe
Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi John, My overall connected length is just a bit over 40' (FF 189 FDS) so from dashboard to rear of FF would be in neighborhood of 35'. In my ideal dream world I thought it would be nice to have a BU cam compatible with my factory in dash BU cam screen and have a switch on the dash to switch between the two. That would be a wired cam installation. Good luck with your installation and let us know how it goes. Thanks
I like that... The one on the TV is used to hook-up and then when unhooked... I want to wire mine so I can switch it on while driving, if I want to... sometimes a little car gets in the TT blind spot...

Old 04-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
jbfunfinder, thanks for the great info, here's a link for a smartphone/ipad camera
Robot Check
Didn't realize sending unit was separate, putting it in the passthru was a great idea.
Thanks, Joe
Thank you for the Amazon link. Looks like a great possibility. I might even consider aiming one like that at my hitch when I am backing up to couple the TT.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Well I checked the range of the Peak wireless backup camera and it appears to be good. From the back of my 189FBR to the driver seat of my Highlander, I got good signal strength. My plan is to power the backup camera from the top center running light on the back of the camper. This allows me to control the power by just turning on the running lights
Old 04-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Well I checked the range of the Peak wireless backup camera and it appears to be good. From the back of my 189FBR to the driver seat of my Highlander, I got good signal strength. My plan is to power the backup camera from the top center running light on the back of the camper. This allows me to control the power by just turning on the running lights
That will save you from having to run wiring... And it will work when driving day or night...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

Finished the installation of the backup camera. Wired it to the running lights.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #14

Looks good twinster2! Thanks for the update. Happy camping (and backing)
Old 05-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

Have you tried it in the dark yet? If so, how good is the resolution?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

Question

Quote:
Finished the installation of the backup camera. Wired it to the running lights.
What model is your camera, I'd like to find one with that range. Thanks in advance for the info.

Liz
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
What model is your camera, I'd like to find one with that range. Thanks in advance for the info.

Liz
I don't know the model number but it is a Peak Digital wireless backup camera with night vision.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

Here is a wireless one that i recently discovered: Hyndsight Vision Systems | Wireless Camera & Monitor System
Remotruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #19

I use a tadi brothers back up camera. They have cameras for all kinds of use.

www.tadibrothers.com

seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote