Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Default JGC towing Fun Finder 21RB

I am considering buying a Fun Finder 21RB which is listed as having a dry weight of 5,040 pounds. My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with factory tow package (V6) is rated as being able to tow 6,200 pounds. I would tow with empty tanks to keep the weight down (fill up water tanks at the campground).

Any thoughts?

joeltbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Dry weight EXCLUDES the battery, propane and the necessities you will add like sewer hose, water hose, power cord, a small tool kit, and your clothes, cooking pots/pans/condiments/food, toilet articles, etc.

IMO you could easily exceed the tow max of the Jeep without careful monitoring. Exceeding the mfg tow max will put an excessive load/wear on the tow vehicle plus severely marginalize safety.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

you need to check your GCWR. Gross combined weight. it would be a hard pull for your jeep
Muckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Like the other posts you will be maxed or close to max depending on how/what you pack. My 2015 FF 210uds advertises a dry weight of 3900 lbs. and a tongue weight of 400 lbs, I do not belive it. I have heard rumours that sometimes these weights are like mentioned before with out batteries, propane and sometimes appliances. I pull it with a Tow rating of 9100 lbs and would not want to be heavier. I load more stuff than I need but have never been in a jackpot. It is also nice to be able to haul a full tank of water when needed. With that said if you are only making small trips without hills or mountains you may be okay. Too much tow vehicle is not a problem it's peace of mind. Silverado
Old 06-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Never thought I would be shopping for another vehicle as well as a trailer. Figured 1,200 pounds was enough of a buffer.

I wish things like winterization were optional to reduce the trailer weight. I will never camp in the winter, though perhaps it does not add that much weight.

I did look up weights of batteries and propane tanks (about 210 pounds) and figured clothing for 2, dishes and groceries would not top 300 pounds, so still feel I would be 700 pounds shy of max if careful, but I don't want to be unsafe either.

*sigh* Might put me off camping for a few years.
joeltbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 AM   #6

Hate to add more negative to what you've already heard, but quite simply, don't do it.
You will find almost universally, the rule of thumb, is never tow more than 75% of your vehicle's rated max tow. Rather than go by any certain weight as your "buffer" just never go too far from the 75% rule and you can never go wrong.
So for your Jeep, you are way beyond the 75% just with the dry weight of that trailer.

And, as you're hearing, the weight of the trailer creeps up and up from "dry weight" quite easily.

Besides all obvious safety reasons for not exceeding safe towing capacities, there's the wear and tear on the towing vehicle that will kill a good vehicle. I speak from experience, years ago, I destroyed two vehicles in a short period of time by pushing their two capacity before I figured out and admitted what I was doing.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

One other issue you should be aware of is sway as it relates to the length of the trailer with respect to the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. If the TV has a short wheelbase like my Highlander and your JGC, they are more prone to sway as the trailer gets longer. A 21 foot trailer should be ok, but a longer trailer might give you problems even with a good anti-sway system.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

Default Reconsider it

Like Silverado - I have a 210UDS. Okay 3900lbs dry and then fill'er up. I towed with a Nissan Titan, 5.6liter rated at 9000lbs+ towing capacity. Easy tow on flat roads. Add some hills, add a few days temperature above 80-degrees, add a head wind, add a mountain range or two. I managed to stress the truck to the breaking point. One year blew out the left rear main seal and ran the truck hot enough to crack one of the exhaust manifolds. Two years later-you guessed it, I blew out the other rear main seal and cracked the other exhaust manifold. Those car/truck manufacturer's aren't doing anyone any favors with their rather generous maximum tow ratings. You can try it - but it will stress the tow vehicle to it's max.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #9

runner, did you have a scangauge on that truck? I am wondering what the transmission and exhaust temps were reading when you cracked that manifold. I've always wondered how hot is too hot, and you may be in a position to answer that question for us!

Under extreme loads (long steep hill, headwinds, and high temps), my transmission fluid can creep into the 235 degree range. That is pretty rare, though. This is on a Tacoma (much smaller than your Titan).

I'm assuming your truck has a transmission cooler, right??
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #10

Default I'm no help

Prof - I was running with a BullyDog tuner - tuned to stock while towing. Wasn't trying to "trick" the ECM on the truck in to doing more than it could and didn't have any exhaust sensors mounted. So-no help in deciding how hot is too hot. I did have a transmission cooler and the tranny never complained. I decided with the type of road trips I make the Titan wasn't enough truck-fine for weekend trips to the lake. But I often take summer trips from coast to coast. . .
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

The limiting number for everything but full-size pickup trucks is the bumper (hitch) weight rating. It is usually ten percent of the tow rating. Often must call manufacturer to get rating. It is difficult to stay under this number. I pull with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi 4WD - tow rating 7200, bumper rating 720. I pull a 210WDS (dry weight 3370, hitch weight 410) and am between 650 and 670 pounds on the hitch (do not want to be any closer to the rating). (Weigh your rigs, people.) This is fully loaded for long-term camping and full water tank. I switched to smaller propane tanks (for room and weight), added a battery and a 30 pound Honda 1000 generator on the tongue. That plus my super light weight Andersen hitch means a net 130 pound increase over dry weight just from the tongue stuff. I highly recommend the Andersen weight-distribution, anti-sway hitch which weights less than 60 pounds (andersenhitch.com). Without it I would be over my bumper weight rating. I have used fifth wheel and other hitches and this Andersen is the cat’s meow. Easily self-installed (as a 72 year old female, I have done two). No heavy bars to lug around and store. And Anderson customer support is stellar. (I have no affiliation with Andersen).
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #12

Oops. Of all things to typo, my Fun Finder model number should be 210 UDS.
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

I pulled my 2013 189FDS (loaded weight 5100lbs) with a V6 Pathfinder rated at 6000 towing - and it was miserable. We recently purchased a Ram 1500 Bighorn V6 EcoDiesel and love it. Tows amazing, 16mpg towing and 28mpg commuting. Because this is a light duty truck (drives like a luxury car) the suspension is soft so I still use weight distribution
Old 07-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #14

I’m not sold on the Andeeson WDH. With the tentioned cables pulling the ball into the back of the hitch against the lock/tab (dont know term). I’m not convinced this won’t t prematurely wear the hitch as they are not designed for that ball placement. I’llwait a few years till I hear more reports.