Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Locking Trailer Coupling

Hello all, brand new owner of an X-139 as of yesterday. This is the first trailer I've owned with a yoke style coupler, made by Atwood I believe. This coupler has a yoke at the front that pivots up and back during hitching and forward and over for latching. Besides being difficult to operate, when I picked up the trailer I did not have a locking pin for the coupler, so I improvised with what else, bailing wire, just to get home. After finally uncoupling, it seems there is no way to insert a pin type lock the prevent unauthorized hook up. I could not get any holes to align. So I have two questions. Can a pin type lock be used while coupled? I didn't get an opportunity to try the pin lock while hitched. Secondly, when unhitched, can you only use a blocking type lock? I've seen some with a ball and a lock that is on the front. I think it would be a struggle to get a ball to couple into that yoke coupler without the weight of a tow vehicle behind it. I've seen locks that slide on and the bottom plate blocks the ball hole. This one seems like it would be better. Thanks for any information on your locking methods!

Tim the Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2

Tim,

I use a long shank Master Lock, been using it for 3 years with zero issues.

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

I use a padlock as well. Long, thin, the right thickness and length to fit on the coupler.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #4

I saw a trailer coupling lock at WalMart. Basically a padlock sized to fit your coupler.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

The coupler you have is a quickbite coupler. There should have been a long pin attached to a wire on the left side of the coupler. The pin goes all the way through the holes located just below where the cover hinges. A normal lock will not work as it is to short. However there is a locking pin available for it. Everthing you need to know is located at:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-couplers.htm
You can also order the locking pin from them. It took a fair amount of research to figure this one out when I bought my trailer. The sale person told me that the two alingment rods where to hold in the slide.

Dale
Cantech is offline   Reply With Quote