Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Default new tow vehicle questions...

Hi everyone,
I have a fun finder 160X that I have been towing with a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder for the last 6 years. I always thought the Pathfinder was a little underpowered, so I sold it and bought a used 2014 Toyota Sequoia with a tow package.
It tows great! I have two questions, which I'm sure any gracious and knowledgeable person can answer:

with the new tow vehicle, i have the same pin configuration as my old vehicle. What i don't have is a brake controller in the cab. Are the electric brakes being used when I tow ( I really can't tell!) Should I have a brake controller unit installed in the cab of the sequoia?

the other question: the trailer is slightly higher in the front now when I tow, because the Sequoia is higher than the Pathfinder. Is this a problem? I towed my trailer to Big Sur and everything seemed to go well. Should I buy a different hitch so that it is perfectly level when I tow?

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Yes, you need to have a brake controller added to the new tow vehicle. A Tekonsha Prodigy is a popular choice, although there are others.

And yes, the end result of your setup should be a level trailer with a correctly set up weight distributing hitch. With sway control also.

My choice is a blueox swaypro, it incorporates both weight distribution and sway control. There are other brands also that work well.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

With the 160 if you didn't have a weight distribution hitch before you probably won't need one now.
To level out the trailer you need to get a different hitch the is lower. I usually pull to a flat parking lot and take off the trailer and pull the tv ahead enough to clear the hitch. Lower/raise the trailer until level. Then measure how much if you need to lower/raise the hitch. Harbor freight has sever different lengths as well as an adjustable hutch.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #4

DonKris
If for no other reason we like a level trailer while towing so that we can stay hooked up on a level pad over night and not have to do the "level the trailer dance." Granted, our most common camping vacation is a new camping site nearly every night, so not having to uncouple is great. I realize most people stay in campsites for multiple nights and that not every campsite is level....
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...3032&hunter=bc

I have a 2008 Tundra with the tow package, I believe they are the same even today. I went to etrailer and purchased a break controller with the wiring harness. The tow package from Toyota already has the quick connect plug you need to so no need to tap into any wires. The plug is located above where you rest your left foot. It took me about 20 min to install mine. If you copy and paste the link above it will take you right to the one I purchased but I put the make, model and year of your vehicle so it should be just what you need. I have been pleased with the one I purchased and it comes and a good price.

Hope this helps in regards to the trailer break controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Break Controller.jpg  
TX Harley Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Hi donkris.
As the others have already answered, to have electric brakes on your trailer function, you will need a controller installed in your new TV...
I would say "DEFINITELY" to having trailer brakes functioning in your TT... Without brakes on the trailer, you could get in trouble!! Remember, pulling the trailer is just one part of the Towing Puzzle... being able to stop safely and control the TT is a huge safety factor.

Good luck...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

Default brake controller

Thanks to all who answered this query!
I'll have to buy a controller before our next camp trip. As for installing it myself, not sure about that. I'll probably pay my local RV shop to do it for me.
I'm going to buy another ball that will keep my trailer level. A good reason is if I must keep it hooked to the TV overnight. It happened once to us in Calico, outside of Barstow. The winds were blowing so hard, it was too dangerous to unhitch and set up. All we could do was huddle inside the trailer until morning.

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote