Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

Default Sway control

I was going through the stuff that I acquired when I purchased my camper from my Grandma and I found a second sway control friction bar kit. Has anyone every used 2? (one on each side). I was considering it since my tow vehicle is on the smaller side. 2012 FF 214wsd being pulled by a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
thanks

FF-214wsdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF-214wsdf View Post
I was going through the stuff that I acquired when I purchased my camper from my Grandma and I found a second sway control friction bar kit. Has anyone every used 2? (one on each side). I was considering it since my tow vehicle is on the smaller side. 2012 FF 214wsd being pulled by a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
thanks
Many of us use weight distribution hitches that have built-in sway control. I see fewer and fewer who add a friction bar nowadays. One less thing to have to hook up each time.

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Default Sway control

Our 2009 XT245 is usually pretty close to max GVW. I use a Fastway/e2 trunnion bar hitch that gives both weight distribution and sway control. It works very nicely but it is noisy on turns.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
thanks
I've used 2 for a while. The built in friction sway control hitches are not that efective. Depends what you're towing with and how much tonque weight you have. I'm currently running a Hensley which is the only hitch that offers true built in sway control. The propride is also a Hensley design which many use.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
thanks
I hate to be negative, but are you sure you want to tow that trailer with that vehicle?

Don't forget the 75% rule that suggests that for safety & vehicle's sake, don't tow more than about 75% of your vehicle's tow rating.

My '12 214WSD weighs close to 4000lb empty, and probably around 5500 in real life. From what I can find out, your JGC is rated for only 4500 IF it has the "Trailer Tow Group" options, and only 2000lb without that.

A good weight distributing hitch with sway bars can help, but in theory you are really pushing the limits.

Just info to think about.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

My camper does weigh 4,000 lbs dry. I keep it pretty light and travel without water on purpose. However you may have looked up tow specs for a Cherokee and not a grand Cherokee. The 2014 grand Cherokee with tow package and gas v6 is rated to tow 6,200. Still not way over the actual weight so trying to make the best of it. I have already been on several trips and it’s done good. Just thinking about adding the second sway control for added security.
Thanks
FF-214wsdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
I hate to be negative, but are you sure you want to tow that trailer with that vehicle?

Don't forget the 75% rule that suggests that for safety & vehicle's sake, don't tow more than about 75% of your vehicle's tow rating.

My '12 214WSD weighs close to 4000lb empty, and probably around 5500 in real life. From what I can find out, your JGC is rated for only 4500 IF it has the "Trailer Tow Group" options, and only 2000lb without that.

A good weight distributing hitch with sway bars can help, but in theory you are really pushing the limits.

Just info to think about.
75% rule. Sounds like a myth. There are a lot if people towing a much heavier trailer than that with the JGC. Talk to CanAm RV in London, Ontario and they will set you up with the right hitch and setup.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator View Post
75% rule. Sounds like a myth. There are a lot if people towing a much heavier trailer than that with the JGC. Talk to CanAm RV in London, Ontario and they will set you up with the right hitch and setup.
Ok, maybe not a rule, but a guideline. Its no myth though, a widely accepted guideline to help stay out of trouble. Plus they are going to go through brakes, shocks etc much quicker if continuously pushing the limits of the tow capacity.

Sure lots of people towing way closer to their rated limit, and even over. All good until an emergency stop or sudden turn, and it can cause trouble.

Its a great guideline to help prevent excess wear and tear on the towing vehicle, better gas mileage, and just plain safer.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
..... However you may have looked up tow specs for a Cherokee and not a grand Cherokee. The 2014 grand Cherokee with tow package and gas v6 is rated to tow 6,200.....
Thanks
Ahhhh, thanks for correcting me. Yes, I was looking at the wrong numbers.

6,200 sounds much better for pulling 4k !!

Safe travels
Old 12-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Ok, maybe not a rule, but a guideline. Its no myth though, a widely accepted guideline to help stay out of trouble. Plus they are going to go through brakes, shocks etc much quicker if continuously pushing the limits of the tow capacity.

Sure lots of people towing way closer to their rated limit, and even over. All good until an emergency stop or sudden turn, and it can cause trouble.

Its a great guideline to help prevent excess wear and tear on the towing vehicle, better gas mileage, and just plain safer.
Again, nothing but a myth and a lot of non sense. A well setup rig is what matters. If the rig is setup properly the trailer will provide the extra braking. If the TV doesn't have good handling to begin with it won't after you connect a trailer either. Tow limits should be based upon axle ratings not manufacturers suggestions of the sales department wants you to buy. I've got well over 200k on my TV with half of that towing and brakes have been on there for over 100k. Get your trailer setup correctly and then you can stop believing these fairy tales.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator View Post
Again, nothing but a myth and a lot of non sense. A well setup rig is what matters. If the rig is setup properly the trailer will provide the extra braking. If the TV doesn't have good handling to begin with it won't after you connect a trailer either. Tow limits should be based upon axle ratings not manufacturers suggestions of the sales department wants you to buy. I've got well over 200k on my TV with half of that towing and brakes have been on there for over 100k. Get your trailer setup correctly and then you can stop believing these fairy tales.
No need to accuse me of nonsense & fairly tales. Calm down, no need to get personal. We're obviously never going to agree about this, and we believe different things. So I'll end it now, back and forth like this isn't helping anyone.

Setting up your rig "correctly" is obviously important. However, exceeding the GVWR of your tow vehicle, your trailer, or combo of both is not only dangerous, but its illegal in most states & provinces.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
However, exceeding the GVWR of your tow vehicle, your trailer, or combo of both is not only dangerous, but its illegal in most states & provinces.
Again nothing but a myth. No where does it say that in any law for a non profesional driver. Stop propagating fear. The axle rating is the one that matters and that rating should not be exceeded. The rest is a myth.