Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Default thinking about purchase

i am new to the rv world and thinking of buying new 215wsk or 244rbs model. i will be towing with 08 toyota tacoma v6 with tow package and 4x4. i would appreciate any comments on which one would be better. its just my wife and i and 2 mini schnauzer dogs. i am also thinking of adding firestone air bags to the rear of the truck, does anyone have any comments about those. thank you for your time and looking forward to getting away.

kar1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

A guess would be that is pushing the upper limits of comfort with the Taco.
I'd want to try it first, before I committed to the actual purchase.

I am pulling a 189FDS with a Nissan Frontier ( similar to your Taco ), and it's a nice match.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #3

gross weight is 11,100 lbs with a max tow of 6500 lbs
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

You should be OK... Both of those trailers has a GVW of just a tad over 6000 lbs. It would be unlikely, even towing heavy, that you would exceed 5500 to 5800 lbs, so, weight wise you'll be fine.

Length, though is a different story. The 244RBS is virtually 28' long and that combined with the weight is going to be a "handful" for your Tacoma. I have a friend pulling a 244RBS with a Hemi Commander...it is a handful and the Commander is heavy (3 tons) and, of course, Hemi powered. I think of the two, your Tacoma would be much happier with the 215WSK. You wouldn't think 4' would make much of difference, but, with the wind coming at your quarter, that 4' of additional sail area makes a huge difference in how it is pushed around. Your Tacoma is going to be light in the rear, even counting tongue weight and is going to be very susceptible to the "push" resulting in greater handling and stability issues than the shorter 215WSK.

As for the air bags (any brand)... If you have leveling issues, then by all means get a set to keep the rear of the truck level, but, if you are looking for additional load carrying (you shouldn't need it; 15% tongue weight is, tops, only ~900 lbs. for either trailer and a good WDH, which would be a necessary investment, will shift some of that weight to the front axle), you can save your money as air bags cannot change your truck's basic load capacity. Your truck, is a truck, and the suspension on the back end, if in good shape, should be able to easily handle the tongue weight of either trailer.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

thanks Don i appreciate your time. i am leaning more to the 215 and the air bags would only be to help keep truck level not for added towing weight. my wife and i are really looking forward to getting out on weekend trips just to unwind and relax.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #6

Are you planning on a WD hitch and anti-sway ? Air bags or not, IMO, you're going to need it.
Does your truck have a transmission cooler ? I think the tow package included that ( automatics only ).

Was your model one that needed the factory rear spring mod ( TSB ) ? If so, has it been done ?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #7

yes i do have the tow package, and yes i am looking into wd and sway controll hitches. any suggestions there on your experience. i have not had the spring tsb done yet as i really have not had an issue.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

I would say you will likely need to consider the rear suspension upgrade. From what I read and folks I've talked to, it sounds like toyota decided to soften the rear suspension on these trucks recently, no doubt to give a better ride for the 90% of the use these vehicles typically get. But as I'm sure you know, once you start loading and towing, you need all the suspension you can get.

On my Frontier ( 06 CC 4WD, 6 speed manual ), the rear shocks were really past their prime, ( plus they were not all that great even when new ) so I bought new monroe shocks for it, and that helped too. Worth considering, depending the miles on the truck. Shocks on the back of these trucks are fairly inexpensive and are an easy install.

As for WD hitches, I chose BlueOx brand, and am very happy with it, but certainly there are proponents of other brands out there too. If you look thru all the forums, you will find folks that are happy with most of the brands available, so that indicates to me that in all likelihood, they all pretty much do the job. Reece dual cam seems to be a pretty popular also.

If you want to get real spendy, then a propride or hensley could be considered, but the price point on them is way up there.

george
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

For whatever it's worth, some guys claim that using air bags at the same time as using a WD hitch is not correct. Their argument is that the air bags inhibit correct weight distribution to the steer axle.

I have no experience with this, and I honestly don't know if it is correct information, but it might be worth talking to the folks at both the hitch manufacturer and the air bag manufacturer.

Maybe Don would care to weigh in on this subject as well. Are you there Don ?

george
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #10

Yep, still hanging around waiting for spring

They shouldn't interfere with the WD aspect of the hitch. However, they will change the amount of weight being transferred. The weight distribution is done by utilizing the hitch head as a fulcrum point and levering (with the arms/bars) the hitch into the air, raising the rear and moving that weight to the front end. The distribution is done with that levering of the rear frame up by the bars. Once the air bags are on and the vehicle leveled, the WD system can be adjusted; but...the amount of distribution will affected by where you travel. Read on...

I, personally, don't like the air bags. They tend to alter the ride of the vehicle, both loaded and unloaded, usually making it worse; they require constant adjustments to keep them aired properly (you'll need a lot less air as you go up in the mountains than you will at sea level). More when it is cold, less when it is hot. They tend to develop leaks at times that are not convenient and unless you travel with a compressor, you'll be pulling into and out of service stations to air them up. I won't go into their longevity...

If you need support (doubtful), or stability aids (again, doubtful with a bumper pull), I would recommend something like the Timbren SES system. No air, no bags, no adjustments, no maintenance; they kick in when needed and don't affect the stock suspension when not needed. A lot of us hauling 5vers (much more affect on the rear suspension than a bumper pull ) use them to aid in roll suppression. When I'm not hooked up to the 5ver, they don't even touch the axle. When I've dropped that 2000 lbs into the bed of the truck, they don't so much support anything as they brace the truck against roll (lean) and sudden pot-hole bottoming out.

That's my dissertation on air bags...they have their purposes, but, for towing, IMHO, are not necessary and can actually be detrimental in a stable weight distribution setup in traveling since any change in altitude will affect the lift that the bags exert and that in turn will affect the effectiveness of the weight distribution by changing the "stock height of the hitch"; remember that height is the fulcrum point and raising or lowering that point changes the amount of weight being destributed. The affect on weight distribution is real, but, will be minimal unless traveling in the Rockies. Still, more bother than they are worth and there are better devices to use that won't have an affect on the weight distribution setup and function nor will they affect the factory ride of the suspension.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote