Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #1

Default Towing an X215(2011) with an Toyota FJ Cruiser

Could someone explain to me how the towing capacity works between the towing vehicle and the trailer axle wt+hitch weight?? The X215 is approx 3800 total dry weight and the FJ can tow 5000lbs......will this truck manage this trailer ok thru any terrain including mountains, etc? I am so confused by cargo capacity, vehicle weight, etc. that I do not know how it all works. What does the total dry weight include and not include (propane, battery,etc)?? How much extra weight does the average camper add to the trailer weight by what they pack into it?? The dealer who is selling me the FF assures me that the truck will pull it fine, but I would like an uninvolved party to give me their 2cents and also explain to me what the axle, hitch weight, etc all mean. I am installing an EQ hitch as well for load distribution. The GVWR for the trailer is 6000lbs and for the truck 5300lbs.....would appreciate any and all comments and explanations!! Thanks for your help!!
Gwhiz

gwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Default towing with an FJ

Here's a helpful link for some of your questions:

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf

You are on the right track by asking questions now instead of later. I have a FF-189 and found by actually loading the trailer and weighing it that the hitch weight is considerably higher than the "rule of thumb" of 13-15% of trailer weight indicates. The dry weight of a trailer does not include propane, battery, hitch, or most options. Likewise, the curb weight of your FJ does not include liquids, options, passengers, or gear. Add the fact that much of the storage capacity of the shorter FF trailers is upfront, thereby increasing hitch weight, and you have a situation where you can overload your FJ without really trying. I found that I exceeded the capacity of my Chevy P/U (1500 lbs) with a modestly loaded trailer and my kayaking/mountainbiking gear. However, I was still well below the "tow rating". Also, I would be really leery of advice from the toyota dealer. Often the salesman, or service guy, doesn't have any real towing experience.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

No you will overload the FJ as you only have 1200 lbs of weight left and this will be eaten up as dlhilliard has explained by the other factors. The dealer is trying to make a sale at your expense, also if you damage the FJ by towing, Toyota will not honor their warranty. Saw a couple with a Hyundai Santa Fe trying to buy a 18 ft trailer at the local dealer the other day and the guy selling it said it would tow it OK as the Hyundai was rated at 3600 and the trailer weighed in at 3100 dry, not good for them. Suggest you try to find something a little lighter.

Just my two cents
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #4

well I bought the FFX215 and towed it home with the FJ Cruiser and an EQ hitch....was windy so caused minor trouble when the wind blew crosswind, but otherwise, towed beautiful and cannot wait to get camping.....what a beautiful trailer WOO WOO

2008 FJ Cruiser loaded
EQ hitch
2011 FFX215 loaded
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
kayaks, mountain bikes, golf clubs, wine fridge
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

Default Towing a 2011 215WSK with Dodge Nitro

I also have a 5000 lb limit on my Nitro (EQ hitch) and have had no problem so far towing the 215. Big trip through the Rockies this weekend - I'll report in on how it went when I return.
2013 Viewfinder Signature 27RBSS
DElias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Please do, I am headed to the Rockies in BC (Canada) in three weeks and would love to know how you make out. There is one really high pass I will be hauling thru and it is the only spot I have concerns about. But if its a slow haul up, its all worth it. Where are you from?

First weekend trip with the FJ and the X215 happens this coming weekend, can hardly wait!!! Its been very exciting getting it packed up and ready to go, esp the outdoor LOUNGE/BAR!!!!

Pulling it home from the dealership in a terrific crosswind certainly caused a little movement when a semi was overtaking from behind but just had to stay alert. The actual towing with the FJ of the 215 did not seem to be a big deal for the mighty Toyota, just have to get used to turning corners and getting it parked!!

2008 FJ Cruiser loaded 4x4
2011 FF X215 loaded with all options
EQ Hitch
2005 mini schnauzer Bogey
kayaks, golf clubs, mountain bikes, full beer/wine fridge
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #7

Good to hear, I tow a 189fbr with a FJ without problem. The 189 is listed at about 2700 lb but options and gear probably push that to 3500lb. Make sure to use premium gas when towing, regular gas will retard the ignition and give less horsepower. I usually use regular for normal driving to save money. Toyota put out a service bulletin saying that's ok. You might also want to add a transmission cooler.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

Default Rockies Trip - 215WSK

Just reporting in on my trip from Calgary, AB to Kelowna,BC through the Rockies. It's a 600 km trip one way. My 211WSK is loaded and has a base weight of 4100 lbs. My wife and daughter were on the trip and my Nitro had absolutely no problems. We did the trip all 8 hours each way including stops for gas and lunch.

I was able to maintain the posted speeds with no sway or problems and held my own on the longer steep hills. Revs were in the 2500 - 3500 most of the way and occasionally went to 4500.

This was the first time we used the trailer so it was an adventure in every way. I had countless people at the camp site comment on the outdoor kitchen. Everything with the trailer was great and can hardly wait to get out again.('')
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Thanks for the update on your trip! We are heading from Regina out to the Okanagan next week. Fortunately we did a trial run in Saskatchewan and found out there was a crack in the shower tap (as if not properly winterized!). Disappointing on a new unit but at least we found out close to home.

Can't wait to get back out to BC - especially to get some use out of the outdoor kitchen!
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #10

How did your temps do on the steep hills? Do you have a cooler on your Nitro? Besides control which sounds like it does pretty well, the other two things I would be concerned with when pulling trailers is temps, which a transmission cooler would help with, and brakes.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #11

I had no temp problems at all - the needle never moved a fraction the whole trip. I have the full trailer towing package including tranny cooler, battery and sway control on the truck. I have a Prodigy P3 brake controller and it was great. I went to level 2 boost on some steep hills and had no issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #12

I also am towing the x 215 with an FJ Cruiser. It did a fine job our first trip out and about 35 miles into our local mountains. I could certainly tell it was back there but no heating problems with my manual 6 speed 4x4.
VooDooRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #13

Returned from a 2,000 km return trip from Saskatchewan to the Okanagan, BC (through the Rocky mountains including a particularly harsh pass at Trail/Rossland BC) and had no problems towing. We did not push it by any stretch - keeping it under 100 km/hour (60 miles/hour) and the FJ pulled just fine. Loved the new unit (just have to get all the leaks fixed - thankful for warranty on this baby!)
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhiz
Returned from a 2,000 km return trip from Saskatchewan to the Okanagan, BC (through the Rocky mountains including a particularly harsh pass at Trail/Rossland BC) and had no problems towing. We did not push it by any stretch - keeping it under 100 km/hour (60 miles/hour) and the FJ pulled just fine. Loved the new unit (just have to get all the leaks fixed - thankful for warranty on this baby!)
Not to highjack your post on what a fine towing vehicle we are both using,but what kind of leaks are you dealing with?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

Default front window leak

after experiencing a fair bit of rain while driving to BC from Sask and camping in lots of rain while out there, we had no probs whatsoever. but after returning home and cleaning the trailer inside and out, there was a drip on the bottom window sill of the front window that dripped onto the front edge of the mattress, making it quite damp in a couple places. took it to the RV repair shop and they could not find a leak??? they offered to pull out the window and look around but not sure I will attempt that at this time, seeing as it never leaked the whole way on the trip. "may" have been condensation but not convinced there may not be a leak there somewhere.
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #16

turns out when I called the RV repair place today and reminded them that the service writer had seen water in the front top running light when I had dropped it off originally, that they took another look at it today and lo and behold, both top front running lights were not sealed well. they have resealed them both and I am assured that the leak into the wall and thru the window onto the bed should be solved. they tell me that this is a common problem with RVs (but somehow they did not find it yest)!
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #17

thx for the info!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #18

Default 5400 mile road trip!!!

Well just returned from our trip from SD to Sedona,Moab Denver,Black hills,Great Falls, Missoula, LoLo, Spokane, Seattle,Chehalis,and Back home to SD. FJ performed flawlessly!!! Felt a few of the climbs but no problems with Truck or Trailer. We were gone a month!!! Can't wait till next year!!!!