Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
roy

One more thing to keep in mind the more water you load in it the GVWR will be reduced in how much "stuff" you can haul. When we boondock camped last week we hauled 1/3 tank of fresh water in route and filled it completely once we got to this campground which only had a water hose on the main entry building. At our site we were completely stand alone except we had shore power. Gray tank filled rather quickly but we managed the week long trip there. I usually travel with a 1/3 of fresh water no gray and no black. On the way home I will completely empty gray and black first chance I get at a road side dump station. I also take the fresh back down to a 1/3 if it's not already there. My wife hates using a public toilet is the only reason we travel with any fresh water in the tank. Most of our camping trips do not have or offer full hookups. The two trips remaining this year do offer full hookups so we will see how that goes then.

Gallon of water is heavy at 8.83 lbs so pack accordingly as it can affect the overall load you can put in camper and certainly will affect fuel mileage on your to vehicle.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #22

Check out boltiton.com. I just picked one up for or XT276 for dirt bikes. It works great with no drilling. They also have a road bike application.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonkey85
Check out boltiton.com. I just picked one up for or XT276 for dirt bikes. It works great with no drilling. They also have a road bike application.
I like their dirtbike setup but for a streetbike setup I will stick with Pitbull strapless restraint system. No pulling down on expensive suspension components is the Pitbull systems advantage. I have Ohlins and JRi suspension on my GSXR1000 racebike which does not need a constant pull down during transport.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #24

I have 08' gmc 1500 towing capacity 6600lbs total. Will i run into problems or have any problems for previous experiences if i tow a total 6800lbs. This being 200lbs over my max limit. Thanks
Twistedglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonkey85
I like their dirtbike setup but for a streetbike setup I will stick with Pitbull strapless restraint system. No pulling down on expensive suspension components is the Pitbull systems advantage. I have Ohlins and JRi suspension on my GSXR1000 racebike which does not need a constant pull down during transport.
With the Ultra Classic dresser, I use the Condor system. Works great, one person loading and only need two 'securing straps' on the rear....although I still run two side straps off the front as a precautionary measure.

With the trailer adaptor, turn out a thumb screw and you have full access to the entire floor without the chock hampering use. Also handy to move the Condor chock to the home shop/garage and use as an upright stand when parking/servicing the bike.

http://store.condor-lift.com/product...er-Adaptor-Kit
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #26

Default Never have to worry about weight again!!

So after pulling my FF XT276 with the 5.3 Sierra i decided that it wasn't enough truck and bit the bullet and bought a new one. Now i never have to worry about how much weight i have loaded into the trailer lol.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #27

Ummmmmmmmmmmm ... well you probably have more pulling power and actual tow weight capacity than before ~ BUT that did NOT alter the trailer weight and load carrying capacity of your trailer.

Just sayin'
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #28

u r correct on that. I might need to watch what I load up cause last trip to ozarks had 2 road glides, generator, 3 coolers, 4 adults clothes fir 6 days, food , water, air compressor, I bet I had 3-4k pounds extra in it. I need to see what weight capacity is on those axles.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #29

Wow ...... with all that you were way, way over the load carrying capacity of your toy hauler.

I weighted mine loaded before a trip this fall. Gone for a week, clothes & personal items for two, some food as planned to grocery shop once at destination, 1 cooler for drinks, 1/3 tank fresh water, and one Ultra Glide.

I had my unit weighted after loading on my way out of town. I was under the max weight limit for the XT276 by a few hundred pounds.

You never know how fast those 'little things' add up until you pull over a scale. It is surprising.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #30

Per the factory specifications on the 2012 XT 276:

Length (ft/ft) 30

Dry Weight (lbs) 5110

Payload Capacity (lbs) 2760

GVWR (lbs) 7870

Hitch Weight (lbs) 870

So the maximum weight of your xt276 fully loaded should not exceed 7870 lbs. If one exceeds that, it's overloading the designed weight limit of the frame, hitch, wheels, tires and axles.

Remember too, the dry weight of 5110 is without any extras ... excludes the weight of the battery, the propane tanks, etc.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #31

Im going to remember to weigh next time im loaded down. The have scales at almost every truck stop. Thanks for making me more aware of the weight. I just purchased the hauler 4 months ago. Thanks again for advise.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #32

You are more than welcome.

Like they say "Education can be expensive" ~ however advance knowledge can eliminate the need for an expensive first hand education.

I hate to see someone sitting along side the road with the frame broke near the axles and the rear of the camper dragging on the ground. Seen it happen and it really wrecks a two week vacation. Same with to much tongue weight and the front of the trailer is dragging on the ground when the tongue gave out.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #33

Here are some actual loaded figures. I thought I had left the weight slips in my XT276 when it went into winter storage but found them in the pickup glove box.

The pickup w/full tank of fuel and two people connected to the XT276 loaded with two full tanks of propane, a few groceries, 1 wheeled cooler full w/drinks/ice and the usual necessities & clothing for a week plus 1 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, the usual camper tool kit and 1/3 tank of fresh water had a combined weight of 13,960 pounds.

The pickup alone w/fuel/2 people weighs 6,200 pounds.

Total 13,960 less pickup weight of 6,200 = 7,760 weight of the camper.

The GVW of the XT 276 per factory is 7,870 pounds so I was 110 pounds under max load of the camper.

Just FYI.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
roy

I need to weigh mine. Only problem is I have several loaded combinations so one weighing won't apply to all my hauls. My racebike and scooter plus generator probably still weigh less than that one Harley. My big streetbike Yamaha plus a scooter or small dual sport plus generator might all be heavier. I haul a full tank of water to the racetrack weekends but again the bikes I haul then are lighter than that one Harley. I'm probably over weight a little at times but don't see that as a big problem. It's been rolling for over 15k miles like this. Has not broke in half yet.

WERA Expert #826
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Here are some actual loaded figures. I thought I had left the weight slips in my XT276 when it went into winter storage but found them in the pickup glove box.

The pickup w/full tank of fuel and two people connected to the XT276 loaded with two full tanks of propane, a few groceries, 1 wheeled cooler full w/drinks/ice and the usual necessities & clothing for a week plus 1 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, the usual camper tool kit and 1/3 tank of fresh water had a combined weight of 13,960 pounds.

The GVW of the XT 276 per factory is 7,870 pounds so I was 110 pounds under max load of the camper.

Just FYI.
Wow, thats heavier than I would have thought. I was planning on putting my Ultra Limited and my wifes 883 in ours. Looks like that may put me over the limit a bit.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle

Just FYI.
Wow, thats heavier than I would have thought. I was planning on putting my Ultra Limited and my wifes 883 in ours. Looks like that may put me over the limit a bit.
Them Harley's ain't light. I bent the tailgate on my old Tacoma hauling my Dads Softail Classic home one day when he had a flat in my drive way. Rear tire was resting on the middle of the Yota tailgate. Once we got it unloaded I had a interior brace that had pushed a outward dent on the tailgate. He said his bike weighed about 900lbs with all the added chrome and accessories. I believed him.

WERA Expert #826
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #37

Roy,
So right Harleys' are not light. My Ultra is 808 lbs DRY weight.

By DRY I assume that excluded oil, fuel, trans fluid and battery...and of course the extra junk one carries in the saddle bags and trunk like factory tool kit never been used, chaps, jackets, gloves, maps/papers, rain suits, and other such things when traveling. Oh, & if one lives in a commie state that requires helmets, those too....something I have the freedom NOT to be forced to wear
Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #38

Quick update:

I wasn't real sure about doing it but in making the trip to the Sturgis SD Motorcycle Rally..... BIL wanted to go along.

He has a Harley Road Glide which would mean added weight in the garage portion of the XT276.

Loading my Ultra and his Road Glide in the garage area with little else kept us under the 2,000 lb limit in the garage & behind the axels. Since we planned to eat out we only loaded a few snacks, two 12 packs of soda, a case of bottled H2O and a few clothes and toilet items and the twin Honda 200i inverters/generators in the front along with a full tank of fresh water ~ mainly for balance.

The unit towed just fine even with two Harleys in the back.