Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Default Towing with a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4, AT & 6.4 Hemi

Just wondering if anyone has such a tow vehicle to pull their camper?

I decided to sell by 2004 Ram, 1500 4x4, AT & 5.7 Hemi and upgrade to the 2014 2500.

The 04 pulls the XT 276 fine with just under 65,000 miles on the clock but time to 'upgrade years' and may as well upgrade capabilities as well.

The 6.4 Hemi has Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation technology, this new 6.4-liter variant makes a segment-best 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque -- tops among gasoline engines.

From my research, I believe mileage will be near equal of not a tad better and pulling power greatly enhanced along with a more stable TV platform.

And NO, I did not was a diesel period!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

It will easily pull the 276. My F250 with a measly 385 / 405 had no issues...but my 6.7 DIESEL at 440 / 860 really doesn't know it's even attached. It also gets almost 20 mpg on the highway, 15 towing.

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
roy

I just upgraded my tow vehicle 2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD with Duramax/Allison combo. Will tow with it first time in two weeks on a 300 mile round trip then out west on a 2800 mile trip.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

Roy, nice going and nice trip planned. Where out west are you headed? We went to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone last August ~ nice trip.

IF I was towing most of the time, I would have opted for the diesel but such is not the case for me.

The Ram 2500 should be delivered in about 5-7 days, a few weeks before I can get the XT 276 from winter storage. Looking forward to that.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
roy

Eagle we are headed to Moab Utah for 7 days to get in some dirtbike riding in the area. Been there a couple of times in the past we love the area. I'm at my happy place in the desert Southwest. Probably retire there eventually.

Road Racing my travels increased and I was over due to move to a diesel truck. The last Toyota Tundra was not that good a truck as the first 4 Toyita trucks I've owned. Lots of engine problems with oil leaks and flex fuel issues just got fed up with corporate Toyota not listening and jumped ship after 16 years with them. Probably never buy anything Toyita again over the last trucks ordeal. Back in a GMC, last one was 1998 that I owned. First ever diesel for me so I'm learning as I go but it's a beast of a truck from the first 250 miles I've drove it. They all cost way too much money though.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #6

The Southwest is where my brother goes for the winters but once the end of May arrives, they are back here ~ just to darn hot. I know when I was traveling all over the US some years ago, I dreaded going to Phoenix/Tucson AZ, Shreveport LA, Dallas/Temple/Browns Valley Texas and meetings in Florida. Guess I'm just not a 'hot climate' person LOL

I agree all pickup trucks cost way to much these day. Most are in the $45 - 65 G range and some into the $70's. Most preowned only 1 or 2 years old have 100,000 - 250,000 miles on them and only a few grand below new price. Just crazy. I got lucky, found a one owner with only 22,000 miles and over $6,000 below avg market price...so jumped on it.

Happy camping and riding!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
roy

First tow with the GMC 2500HD Duramax on the trip to Nola, 11.8 mpg down and 11.2 mpg back at 70 mph cruise on both ways.

Pretty pleased with the truck and mileage. I suspect I could get a little better mileage if not using cruise. I'm lazy though.

WERA Expert #826
Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
The Southwest is where my brother goes for the winters but once the end of May arrives, they are back here ~ just to darn hot. I know when I was traveling all over the US some years ago, I dreaded going to Phoenix/Tucson AZ, Shreveport LA, Dallas/Temple/Browns Valley Texas and meetings in Florida. Guess I'm just not a 'hot climate' person LOL

I agree all pickup trucks cost way to much these day. Most are in the $45 - 65 G range and some into the $70's. Most preowned only 1 or 2 years old have 100,000 - 250,000 miles on them and only a few grand below new price. Just crazy. I got lucky, found a one owner with only 22,000 miles and over $6,000 below avg market price...so jumped on it.

Happy camping and riding!
Same here Eagle... We were lucky as well and found a 2013 1/2 ton with only 21K on it and it came at a pretty good price... I was looking for a 3/4 ton (but this truck came with the max tow pkg, 6.2L gas, just shy of 11K tow cap, brake controller, 6 spd trans, 4 wd, etc.), but mileage, condition, and price sold us...

The TV pulls the trailer fine and have not bothered with anti-sway or Equalizer hitch;

Excuse me for jumping in on your QSO...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
First tow with the GMC 2500HD Duramax on the trip to Nola, 11.8 mpg down and 11.2 mpg back at 70 mph cruise on both ways.

Pretty pleased with the truck and mileage. I suspect I could get a little better mileage if not using cruise. I'm lazy though.
Sounds great and nice trip to get used to the GMC TV too.

Not sure but from what I've read, using the cruise will give the best mileage ?

I think Memorial Day weekend will be our first outing as the wife will get a few days off and we can go somewhere.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Same here Eagle... We were lucky as well and found a 2013 1/2 ton with only 21K on it and it came at a pretty good price... I was looking for a 3/4 ton (but this truck came with the max tow pkg, 6.2L gas, just shy of 11K tow cap, brake controller, 6 spd trans, 4 wd, etc.), but mileage, condition, and price sold us...

The TV pulls the trailer fine and have not bothered with anti-sway or Equalizer hitch;

Excuse me for jumping in on your QSO...
No problem. You were also lucky to find a unit w/only 21,000 miles on it. They are far and few between.

I see the used auto dealer that direct purchased my former TV has it on their web site:

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB In Aberdeen SD - Padgett Auto Sales

If they get their price, they will make about $3500.

More power to them, I got a few thousand more than avg. trade in value and no tire kickers.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Sounds great and nice trip to get used to the GMC TV too.

Not sure but from what I've read, using the cruise will give the best mileage ?

I think Memorial Day weekend will be our first outing as the wife will get a few days off and we can go somewhere.
Hi Eagle,
BTW, when towing with Cruise "ON", my mileage goes way down... I tried both ways and it seems that the CC wants to bring it slightly above the set point and when it kicks in, the truck will often downshift a gear; this seems to cause lots of shifting and more revving than I like. I tow around 65 and allow the speed to go up a little when on a slight downgrade and go under my desired speed on an uphill grade. I run with trans converter lock (In trailer mode) to also reduce swifting. depending on conditions, my mileage ranges from around 9 - 12 mpg and sometimes on nice flat runs, it will edge up to 14.

Good luck on you trip and hope you have tons of fun!!

Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

John C
Friend had a 1/2 ton pickup that was always shifting when pulling a trailer and he took out 3 transmissions.......all under warranty. He figured it was because the gear ratio was to high and a lower ratio would have solved the shifting issues. ??

Anyway, I'm curious how my mileage will be towing the XT 276. When pulling it with the 1/2 ton I sold, I used cruise frequently without any shifting issues in tow mode. The 3/4 ton has lower gears so do not anticipate any shifting issues in tow mode.

And looking forward to an outing over Memorial Day weekend!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
John C
Friend had a 1/2 ton pickup that was always shifting when pulling a trailer and he took out 3 transmissions.......all under warranty. He figured it was because the gear ratio was to high and a lower ratio would have solved the shifting issues. ??

Anyway, I'm curious how my mileage will be towing the XT 276. When pulling it with the 1/2 ton I sold, I used cruise frequently without any shifting issues in tow mode. The 3/4 ton has lower gears so do not anticipate any shifting issues in tow mode.

And looking forward to an outing over Memorial Day weekend!

Hi Eagle,
I almost always tow with the Trans in 'Trailer Mode", I believe this is like the older GM "Converter Lock". This greatly reduces shifting and the trans runs cooler. We have similar size engines and I think the big difference is going to be the 3/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton. My truck WANTS to run 80 - 85 and has fairly high speed road gears; I believe lower gearing would be a big boost to towing... Heavans, I rarely hit 80 anymore unless passing...

Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #14

Thought I gave an update. On the Memorial Day trip using cruise and in "tow mode" got about 10 mpg running 65 mph. May have been slightly better but fought a stiff wind part way out and into the breeze on the way home.

Pleased with how the TV handled the load.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 PM   #15
roy

On our 3k mile trip to Moab utah from ms I hit 11.5 mpg as my average from the Duramax the entire trip on cruise set at 70 mph. I'll never own another gas burner to tow with. The truck was simply amazing on performance.

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
On our 3k mile trip to Moab utah from ms I hit 11.5 mpg as my average from the Duramax the entire trip on cruise set at 70 mph. I'll never own another gas burner to tow with. The truck was simply amazing on performance.
IF I was on the road more towing may have considered a diesel but guess maybe only 15% of the miles put on the TV will be pulling anything.

Running a gasoline powered unit is betting running empty/around town and didn't have to shell out an extra $$ eight thousand for the diesel option.

Different folks have different needs so that determines the choice. Very excellent diesel power is your choice for your needs.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
roy

I average 20 mpg as a daily driver to and from work. We tow 8-10k miles a year so a diesel works best. My fuel cost have went way down verses the gas burner.

I have not found the operating cost associated with diesel ownership to be any more expensive than a gas burner. Actually the oil changes are cheaper with me doing it.

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #18

I too do all the routine maintenance myself and any other repairs when possible. Some is more difficult with all the electronics interconnecting everything.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has such a tow vehicle to pull their camper?

I decided to sell by 2004 Ram, 1500 4x4, AT & 5.7 Hemi and upgrade to the 2014 2500.

The 04 pulls the XT 276 fine with just under 65,000 miles on the clock but time to 'upgrade years' and may as well upgrade capabilities as well.

The 6.4 Hemi has Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation technology, this new 6.4-liter variant makes a segment-best 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque -- tops among gasoline engines.

From my research, I believe mileage will be near equal of not a tad better and pulling power greatly enhanced along with a more stable TV platform.

And NO, I did not was a diesel period!
Eagle,
I just purchased a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Diesel (16,000 miles), so far love the truck. i have not towed the trailer yet since we pick it up in a couple of days. But so far my milage shows to be 16 mpg. My suburban I upgraded from was giving me about 17 so I am not losing much if any and the milage should get better as it breaks in.
[/URL][/IMG]
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #20

NICE truck .... looks like mine except mine is a deep blue color w/rambox option, running boards & tow package w/cab clearance lights.

I added a Revolver x2 tonneau cover. BAK Revolver X2 Hard Rolling Tonneau Covers I chose the X2 because it's a roll up hard cover providing good security for goods in the pickup bed unlike a soft cover that can be sliced open.

In a few weeks, I'll be making the trip to Sturgis South Dakota with either one or two full dress Harley Davidson's loaded in the garage, the 2 Honda 2000i generators fueled and a an extra 11 gallons gas, clothes, camping gear, full 60 quart ice chest, 3/4 tank of fresh water, etc. for a full load.

I will report back about the trip and the mileage with the 6.4 Liter Hemi gas engine.