Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Default x-160 with 2008 V6 4RUNNER

The overall experience is OK but not great. This is the only car I have used to tow a trailer so can't do any compare. I had to leave the tranny in 4th gear all the time. It runs good on flat road and short slope. I haven't tried any serious mountain trip, will try it out next year. Gas/milage is terrible, I got about 10mpg roughly.

ezcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #2

I have a V6 Toyota Tacoma, and get 11 or 12 mpg if I take it relatively easy (60-65 mph) on flat to rolling terrain. Mine's an automatic, but I often leave it in fourth gear, rather than drive, and don't use cruise control.

Big headwinds? 8-9 mpg.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

Default one more trip

Had one more trip and tried to maintain 100Km/H(62MPH), got 8-9MPG because of the head wind I guess, not very happy, but will have to live with it for now.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Default towing with V6

I'm towing our FF 160 with my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder. It has a 3.5L V6 and yes, it does seem to be a bit underpowered. Going up long grades I am slowing down to 50mph and straining. But most of the time cruising at 60 mph is just fine. Mileage is around 12 miles to the gallon. So far I've put around 3000 miles on the trailer (its a 2009). It is highly recommended to get a trans cooler. I also had my cooling system flushed and front brakes replaced. I never use overdrive (the truck has a switch to turn it off) and rarely use cruise control, except on long flat roads.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #5

Dondris, the specification of your 3.5v6 is quite similar to the 4.0v6 of 4runner. It also sounds like they have the similar tow power. Thanks for you info.