Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Default Buckling front panel

We purchased a 2009 160WB at the beginning of August 2019. We have had it parked beside our garage and the front part has be in the sun; we live in Bakersfield, Ca. We just noticed the front top curve is bubbling. I understand that it’s delaminating. There are no signs of damage or stains on the inside to indicate water damage.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Dagart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagart View Post
We purchased a 2009 160WB at the beginning of August 2019. We have had it parked beside our garage and the front part has be in the sun; we live in Bakersfield, Ca. We just noticed the front top curve is bubbling. I understand that it’s delaminating. There are no signs of damage or stains on the inside to indicate water damage.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
I have a 2007 doing the same thing. I have seen many, many campers with the same issue.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Dagart, We had a serious fading issue on our 2013 F-210UDS. The front cap started fading within the first year. Cruiser RV and the selling dealership kept passing the buck and blamed it on the outside contractor who manufactured the cap for them. Of course, NOBODY would take responsibility and left the problem to me! It had become embarrassing as the severe fading had grown from the top of the cap to almost 3 feet down the front. After we moved from Southern California to Southern Utah, I took the Trailer to a reputable Auto & Truck Body & Paint shop. They sanded the whole cap and painted it with high-end automotive paint then clear-coated it. Still looks beautiful after sitting in the Southern Utah desert for more than 3 years now. Pricy but worth it.
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

There are two common places to check for a leak causing the delamination you describe. First check the seam joining the roof membrane to the front Filon panel. Seam is all across front edge. Look for gap in sealant. Perhaps pulled loose by a passing tree branch. That's what got mine! Second is the 2 marker lights. Poorly sealed to begin with. They can seep water in under them. Remove, clean surfaces and reseal with Dicor. Dicor is also best sealant for roof seam & available at RV stores or Amazon. Filon is brand name of front panel material. Backed with luan wood. That's what causes the buckling when wood gets moisture. Good luck.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buckling, delaminating, wb160