Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #1

Default duo-therm briskair dometic 2007#57915.54

Hi have a question,our dometic air doesn't blow cold air.The compressor and fan work.Inquired about recharging Freon and was told it can't be done, need new unit.
Is that true it can't be charged? and is there a way around doing it?
Thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #2

He's right. Check this out. Scroll down.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.doity...intenance/amp/

http://www.motleyrvrepair.com/rv_air...ade_simple.htm

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

Thank you very much for those sites...
To replace this unit will cost us aprox . $1,500.oo..Canada...
Just might have to keep this unit for a life time,lol...
Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
I know the feeling. Some people are actually putting residential window units in the side of rigs. Not sure how that works though.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Hi Elvira,
I am sorry to hear of your A/C issue and can only ask if you have checked with a reputable RV A/C technician to see if there is another problem... something dirty, loose wire, bad thermostat, coils plugged, etc., that may be causing the "Fail to Cool" issue??

Some years ago, I bought a current edition (at that time) of Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook and though it is not a replacement for a good mechanic and may not cover everyone's models, it is a very good reference book.

I have a 2 inch binder that is my "Trailer Book" with about everything I have on my trailer from axles and brakes to the TV and radio antennas, and has become a great reference book for me. Building your own personal reference book for YOUR TRAILER will be an asset to you and the next owner if you ever decide to sell... If you don't have this already, start by collecting the appliance manuals (A/C, heater, water heater, stove, refrigerator, vent fans, pump, batteries, smoke and CO2 alarms, electrical converter and battery charger, holding tanks and wall panel, etc.), along with their respective maintenance sections, and get/make a manual for your trailer; keep these current with changes and upgrades you make. This will become invaluable as time goes on, unless of course, one is blessed with a bottomless wallet.

Good luck and I hope your A/C issue is something simple and can be fixed

I hope to meet you sometime around a campfire...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

Great idea John. I did refer her to this also above.
RV Air Conditioners made Simple
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Great idea John. I did refer her to this also above.
RV Air Conditioners made Simple
Yes Ma'm you did, I just had to toss my 2 pennies in the pot... Probably my best reference data anymore is my Trailer Book/Binder...

I have started a new section with pics of critical assemblies, valve positions, etc. in the trailer... The guys worked on the trailer this last winter/spring and I couldn't find the the fresh water tank drain... it was there, but during the repairs, the valve became obscured... I am going to pull the tank during winterizing this fall and replace the valve and location!...
There is a tangle of hoses and valves under the "carpet", so to speak, and this pic shows the tight space and the cheap plastic valve is way down on the other side of the tank under hoses, stuffed between the pump and tank... there is no way to even see it... I am considering building a "Valve Panel", if I can without pulling the trailer apart...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160330_082550356-2.jpg   IMG_20160330_082424028-2.jpg   IMG_20160329_170934075-2.jpg  

Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

I'm thinking you intend to keep your trailer for a long time, right. We were happy that we got all of the individual manuals with our FF and grateful though we never needed to fix anything happily. We passed them on to the new owner.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #9

John C ~ like you I have all the manuals for my unit, originals from the factory plus other tid bits I've added here and there.

I like to know how things work and why and how things are put together so they are good reading material and of assistance if/when needed.

And I must add, invaluable when one makes alterations too!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

I have also made a book of information about everything in and on the RV. I also have downloaded all the information and stored it electronically on a thumb drive. The big heavy book stays at home and the thumb drive travels with us along with the laptop.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
I'm thinking you intend to keep your trailer for a long time, right. We were happy that we got all of the individual manuals with our FF and grateful though we never needed to fix anything happily. We passed them on to the new owner.
Well Mich,
The trailer works for us at the moment; I am not crazy with the layout, but the Boss likes it. If I was going to look for a different trailer tomorrow, I'd probably look at small 20 - 24 foot 5th wheels, if they make them that small. I like the overall length of ours, but I think the 5th wheel would give me more livable space for about the same overall length... However, again, the one I have works and I'll keep it for now. I have been considering a home built for quite sometime, but workspace is an issue. I am so disappointed in the overall quality and material of what I see manufactured today, and the real killer is workmanship. I am a nit-picky sort that sees the quality and pride of workmanship in this country pretty much a lost art...

Anyway, enough about that, I need to redo some of the plumbing before it bites me... I am afraid that I'll go out to drain the tank and the cheap plastic valve/pipe will snap off and I'll watch water flood the whole trailer...

Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
John C ~ like you I have all the manuals for my unit, originals from the factory plus other tid bits I've added here and there.

I like to know how things work and why and how things are put together so they are good reading material and of assistance if/when needed.

And I must add, invaluable when one makes alterations too!
We think a lot alike Eagle, I come from a mechanical and engineering background and raised by a Dad that believed if something was worth doing, it was worth doing right. I also worked Quality Control in the Nuclear and Aviation industry which as you know is all about documentation. I can't see taking my rig in to be worked on by someone that could care less about how well the job is done, just get it done. There are enough differences in equipment that having the correct manual can make a difference in how it should be repaired and/or adjusted... And I really hate having to do it a second time because the first time was done incorrectly...

Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWray View Post
I have also made a book of information about everything in and on the RV. I also have downloaded all the information and stored it electronically on a thumb drive. The big heavy book stays at home and the thumb drive travels with us along with the laptop.
Good going Chas,
I didn't go to the trouble of making an electronic copy, but it sounds like a good idea. The manual stays in the trailer in an overhead cabinet. It is a bit of a hassle to go grab the book, but there are a lot of pen changes, notes, and photos of things that need reference from time to time. I might go to the trouble of making electronic copies if it was new, but I'm almost 4 years into this one...

Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #14

Hi Michigan,we do have the manuals ,except the a/c.... Guess what ...we are camping and I was washing the windows and the emergency exit window cracked!!!
There is a funfinder dealer in another part of province and mailed him about it.Hope he replys ,and we can get a replacement.
Kinda not a happy camper today,hahahh
Old 07-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #15

Hi John, where we are camping there is a rv dealer,but just talking to him was not pleasant, so hubby says we will wait till we get home and scout around for one that is familiarwith a/c units..
We are actually third owners,but did come with manual except the air.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #16

opps gotta go got some gorilla clear tape to temporary fix the window crack, might rain tonite.