Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #1

Default 189 Roof question

We sold our fifth wheel and TV and are now looking at a 189FB or FBS.
One seller I talked with, said they took out the roof air an installed a F/Fan.
They said the A/C had caused the roof to sag and leak.
They did not need the A/C so they removed, and also said the roof was very minimal in construction, to hold up the A/C.
My question is what about the roof in a 2008 vintage Fun Finder.

Thanks so much for any opinions. Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

I would approach that trailer (purchasing) very carefully. That roof was designed to hold up that A/C unit, and, having owned an '08 210WBS, the roof is very sound and capable of being walked on. If the roof "couldn't support the A/C unit...", then the roof had probably leaked around the A/C unit and has caused some rot of the rafters...a leaking roof, obviously, is not a good thing.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

I have a 2007 189FBR that gets used frequently. To look at the TT inside and out you can't see that there is any sag around the A/C unit. When the TT is leveled for a rainy camping trip some water does collect around the A/C unit. I know this because when I unlevel to attach to my truck water rolls off of the roof. So any sag is fairly minimal but enough to collect some water. It has never caused me any leaks but is something that I keep a close eye on so I can catch a leak quickly if it does occur. Plus i have never noticed any of it worsening. During storage between camping trips I store my TT high in the front so that water runs off into the gutters and off the back and doesn't collect anywhere. Just a little of my experiences.

Webslave, I don't think the roofs on the 189's can be walked on. I've seen info concerning that before and after many inspections of my roof I don't think it feels stout enough to walk on. And my roof is in very good shape. But I agree that noticeable sag around the A/C should definitely be steered away from cause its probably evidence of roof rot.

Jim if sag is noticeable and if you can apply minimal up force on the roof and see it move or if it feels spongy then definitely steer clear of that one. And of course you should be able to see several other signs of past leaks. Speaking from experience a small amount of sag around the A/C on the 189's is normal and shouldn't cause you any problems, as long as all the other signs of leaks aren't there.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Jeff B.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. I have already passed on that one, but have another in my sights. I have looked at it and came within a few dollars of making a deal.
Decals were starting to crack and tires were original 2008's.
I did not look at the roof. If I go back, I'll take my ladder.
Thanks again. Jim
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Figure I would just chime in. I actually replaced my in entire roof on my 2003 189fbd. What I found was there was paneling put down, the perimeter was 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood from the edge to about a foot in, the space in the middle filled with foam (no rafters of any kind going across trailer) another piece of paneling, then all covered with the rubber roof. All the vents had a plywood frame to support the vent area. That's all that held the a/c up. I was very surprised when I took it down. But on a side note there wasnt anyleak around my a/c unit.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #6

So in other words, if you walked up there, you would just fall through?
wolfgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

Thanks for the education Looking4fun.
That should be a nice strong light weight roof.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgheist
So in other words, if you walked up there, you would just fall through?
I was able to lay on it (I'm 250lbs) but I wouldn't have tried to walk on it. to risky.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
TCP

Default 2010 roof

my 2010 189FDS's roof is arched so rain runs to the sides and i regularly walk all over it to check the seals. Don't know what year they started with the arched roof.

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote