Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Default 1st Weekend out with our Fun Finder - Trip Report

We took our Fun Finder to a local campground, the Philadelphia/West Chester KOA, this weekend Thursday thru Sunday to run it thru its paces, it is about only 30 minutes from home. . All in all it went really well. We arrived at 5:30 or so on Thursday evening.

We had a couple of minor hiccups/close calls. After loading the food earlier in the day my wife didn't get the fridge door shut tight so things warmed up but nothing went bad. I'm still getting used to the size of the trailer, there was a small bridge and a tight turn coming off it and I almost cut it too tight came within inches of hitting the guard rail.

The only other time we have camped here, we camped down by the Brandywine River in our popup. The views are great and though you have to trudge up the hill to the bathroom, you can't beat being close to the water. BUT, this time, we were up the hill behind the lodge and pool. We decided to do this because the power down by the river is only 20 amps and since we now have AC, we wanted one of the 30 amp sites. The site was VERY, VERY close quarters with the neighbors, and it was sloped. We made do by moving the firepit and picnic table behind the camper.

The boys and wife went to the pool while I set up and then joined them later. The pool is pretty small and with the heat wave we have been in for the past week, it was like a warm bath, not very refreshing! But the boys were thrilled.

After that, we enjoyed a quick dinner of sandwiches (probably at this point we were close to 9PM) in the air conditioned comfort of our new camper. Then Bed.

Friday morning I heading off to work, it was actually a shorter commute for me. The boys slept in, had breakfast and then headed for pool once it opened at 10AM and swam most of the day. When I got back to the campsite, my wife had forbidden the boys from going back to the pool because she thought they had had too much sun, I had no desire to go back in the hot pool. The boys rode bikes(wearing big floppy hats) while my wife and I sat under the awning and people/camper watched as the Friday crowd arrived.

The boys caught lots of lightening bugs and also found this cute white caterpillar

Saturday, after the pancake breakfast at the lodge - the boys and I took the canoe and kayaks out on the river. My 8 year old does great on his own but my 6 year old would rather be towed most of the time rather than paddle.

I think the extenda-bed feature on our new to us Avalanche is pretty cool! This pic is from when we took the boats down the hill to the river:

Later on Saturday the boys wanted to go to the pool, again I had no desire what so ever to go to that hot, crowded pool. I convinced the boys the river water would be much cooler and less crowded than the little pool at the camp ground. So we took the canoe and paddled a little ways upstream and found a nice shady swimming hole with some large rocks to play on and tied off the canoe and went swimming there. The boys enjoyed jumping off the rocks.

Saturday night there was an awesome lightening show in the sky to the south of us. I spent a couple hours sitting outside and watching it. It was kind of cool to the south there was the storm but right above us the moon was shining bright and the stars were out.

Sunday, my wife took the boys to the pool as I packed up...

At the dump station on our way home:

The camp ground was very full. There was a large group of scouts from Rhode Island and a huge tent city down by the river that was a family reunion - they were very loud, but were having fun. We just turned on our outdoor speakers and listened to our stereo to drown them out.

We were very happy to have AC because it was in the low to mid 90's all weekend with very high humidity. Even with the AC, we tried to stay outside and not be 'in the camper'. We did not have a campfire all weekend, it was just too hot. We did not use any of the kitchen appliances other than the fridge and freezer (ice cream!). We used the outside grill. We had started the weekend telling the boys that they could still walk over to use the camp bathrooms, but by the end of the weekend, we were all very happy using our very own bathroom - we drank a lot of water - probably 2 1/2 cases of water bottles (we are using the empties for a church project). With the crowd and the heat buy the end of the weekend the campground bathrooms were not that appealing.

Ice Cream:

All in all a good trip. We have a couple of other fairly local trips (less than 2 hours away) planned in the next few weeks, and then some farther trips scheduled in the fall/winter. My wife kept remarking to me that she couldn't believe it was ours and how nice it was.

Coming from an 8' popup I'm loving the storage in the camper, the bunk storage area fits our chairs, easy-up, fishing equipment, canoe paddles, and both 6' kayaks and a few other misc. items. Best part is I can leave every thing in there until next trip, I only removed the pool noodles and the kick boards because they were still a little damp.

We do have a couple of things we want to do to the camper. We are planning on doing some dry camping later this year so we just ordered LED bulbs for most of the light fixtures. We also want to add a second battery too have a little more reserve.

So far we are very happy with our Fun Finder.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

You and your family will always remember these good times. My wife and I got back into camping to have our sanity back and because we have new grandchildren coming up on camping ages. Congratulations on your purchase, Ahhhh, memories!

El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
You and your family will always remember these good times. My wife and I got back into camping to have our sanity back and because we have new grandchildren coming up on camping ages. Congratulations on your purchase, Ahhhh, memories!
The boys love camping, we've been camping with them since my youngest was about 9 months, first in tents, then the popup, and now the Fun Finder. I grew up camping on 26'-35' cabin cruisers on Lake Champlain in Vermont, we just took them up there a couple weeks ago and spent 4 days at Burton Island State Park on my parents 40' boat, it is great to share some of the same memories I had when I was a kid.

Enjoy your grandkids, we had a couple parked right next to us this past weekend that had their grandkids with them.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Oh, and great pix too! enjoy!
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote