Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Default 2015 189FDS Has Landed!

The 2015 189FDS has landed, allthough I can't bring it home until Monday! I thought I ordered a 2014, but it came in as a 2015.

I went to the dealer yesterday to be introduced to my new trailer and I absolutely fell in love with it!! I can't believe how roomy it is (compared to my 2008 x-160) And some of the improvements since my '08 are great!

There are 6 double power outlets, including one at the slide dinette. The mattress appeared to be pretty comfy. I am axious to see if it holds up under use.

The slide is power, as is the tongue jack (which I didn't realize). There is a row of LEDs at the top of the awning.

I don't know how much power the jack will take, so I asked that the dealership upgrade to a Group 27 battery.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Congrats Michelle!

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

Congratulations, looks like a beauty.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Congrats on your new unit. You have waited awhile so enjoy!!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #5

Default Wow!

Gorgeous!! So what is the next adventure for you and Abby??
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

Thanks!

Maybe AZ for a while this coming winter, but no big trips this year.

Next year, hope to plan a LONG trip in Canada. I can't for the life of me make up my mind - east or west. I have been to quite a few times, and absolutely LOVE, BC and Alberta. Have never been to Eastern Canada.

Which would you choose and why? (I am slightly leaning toward AB and BC.)

I'll have more pics of the new trailer when I get it home. Luckily, The Beast seems comfortable in it! Whew.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
TCP

Default looks great

love our 2010 FDS. sure you will too.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to shadow

Party time!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #9

I have a 2007 189FBS, and it looks like the entry door has been moved. Ours is by the opposite side of the kitchen, yours looks like it is by the bed.

Congraz on the new FF!!!
2003 Limited Production New Beetle Turbo S
1966 VW Beetle -restored.
Dillinger-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #10

Default The Rockies

Michelle --

There is so much to see in the Canadian Rockies -- take your time and explore!

Dan

PS -- this is Peter Lougheed Provincial Park on a September morning -- I hope the picture comes through on the forum:

Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63
I have a 2007 189FBS, and it looks like the entry door has been moved. Ours is by the opposite side of the kitchen, yours looks like it is by the bed.

Congraz on the new FF!!!
The current FBS has the door on the opposite end of the trailer, I think. Mine is the FDS (dinette vs sofa)

Dan, that picture alone has convinced me! Now, could you please email me some of your talent?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Default No talent

Michelle, there is no talent involved. Here is my trick: go camping a lot in great places, take thousands of pictures, and some of them will be decent. It is statistically inevitable.

The other trick is to get a decent digital SLR -- it gives you a lot more range than a point and shoot camera.

Have you decided where you are going next? We are also thinking about eastern Canada, probably next year -- not as majestic as the Rockies, but the food (French) and the music (Celtic) are both world-class.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Congrats.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

Default Here She Is...

Here she is, sitting in the uncovered part of her new home (close to the house). Purdy little thing, no?

I just love this trailer. It's like a mansion compared to the X-160. But - FAR LESS storage. I'm pondering where to keep shoes/boots/sandals. And food. Fridge is huge compared to old single door fridge...I suppose I could put some dry food/canned goods in there. I really don't cook/eat much since widowhood.

Front storage is really big and I've lined it with those rubber interlocking squares for protection. Love the power tongue jack and the power awning. Hopefully they won't prove to be more problematic than the manual versions. A small white LED strip is at the very top of the awning.

Shower is itty-bitty, twin SS sinks are nice (I think the old one was some sort of SS looking plastic material; these appear to be real metal).

And is this thing TALL...the bottom step comes to my knee (yes, I'm short), but still...definitely need a step ($67 at CW????? Pricey).

Seven double ceiling lights - place is lit up like a Christmas tree. Nice control panel at the entrance.

Vastly improved bunk mattress, although I will never use it. It's heading up to the attic today.

Between the 2012 model (which my friend has) and this 2015, the under-dinette seat storage openings have been eliminated. You must go through the seat cushion/plywood top. But those areas are very big. Wish I could work with wood - I'd put in an access panel.

CruiserRV forgot to ship the propane tanks with the unit, so they were shipped separately. Came in at the 30# ones. How much heavier are they than the 20#? I am concerned about hitch weight, although I do have the Equalizer WD hitch (10,000# rated). Should I keep them, or request they be replaced with 20#? (paperwork from CruiserRV indicate they should be 20#). I'll probably have a hard time lifting them when full!

So far, so good. First trip to Illinois side at St. Louis.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Site Team

Default Re: Here She Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by "michellep:

CruiserRV forgot to ship the propane tanks with the unit, so they were shipped separately. Came in at the 30# ones. How much heavier are they than the 20#? I am concerned about hitch weight, although I do have the Equalizer WD hitch (10,000# rated). Should I keep them, or request they be replaced with 20#? (paperwork from CruiserRV indicate they should be 20#). I'll probably have a hard time lifting them when full!

So far, so good. First trip to Illinois side at St. Louis.

The 30 lb tanks will hold about 10 more lbs of propane and the tanks themselves weigh at most an extra 10 lbs. So you are only looking at 40 lbs more than the 20 lbers. Probably not enough to impact hitch weight much.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #16

Default Storage and tanks and step-stools

Michelle --

What a beauty!! Some random thoughts -- if you do not want to re-do the cabinetry, you could always use rubbermaid containers in the underneath area for extra storage. Not as convenient as shelving, but easily available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

If you are interested in new cabinetry, email me and I will give you some tips.

I would get smaller propane tanks -- you don't want to injure your back while on the road! I have never come close to exhausting the smaller tanks, and propane is easily available.

Wal-mart has inexpensive small plastic step stools -- they are perfectly adequate, very light, easy to store. The legs do not fold up, but that is ok -- the Camping World units are overpriced, I think.

Go have adventures in your new baby!

Dan
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

Default Bottom Step

As of 7-1-2014 Camping World has a very sturdy and compact folding step that is only $10.00 and change. We bought these for those times when we need an extra step below our Funfinders steps or use them for foot rests in camp. We bought two. They fold to about 2 inches thick. I think it is a good deal.
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #18

I actually have two of those e-z fold stools - the short one and the taller one. I love them both. However, they're a little too small of a footprint...I tend to move about quickly most of the time and I can see myself missing the stool on my way out.

I ended up with a much wider stool, right height, from WallyWorld (I THINK in the baby department...maybe it's a stool for little kids to reach the big people potty?). Legs don't fold, but it fits right inside the door with no problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #19

Looks good. I've done five laps of the country with my current trailer, and I think it's time to start looking at what's next. I'd definitely consider this one.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote