Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Default 2016 Summer Trip

Note: I wrote this up for a motorcycle racing site that I work on. Most of the odd name references you'll see are for tracks on the circuit. I think the rest should make sense.

The racing that happens on the weekend? That's just half the action while following the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship series. The U.S. is an amazing place. Here's what went on during the week when I wasn't driving, working on content, or keeping an eye on the forum.

This was the sixth lap of the country for the Fun Finder, and the second lap for the Toyota Tundra. To get ready for this time around, I stripped off the graphics from the trailer. They'd faded and cracked in the sun, and it was quite a chore. After a bit of polishing, it was looking pretty good to start the summer. I also did the usual round of new tires for the trailer. Knock on wood, but over six seasons, I hadn't had any problems with tires, axles, etc.

While up in Hangtown, I usually meet up with Shawn Ralls (left), and Eric Phipps (right), from Works Connection for some mountain bike riding in the Sierras. WC is just up the hill from Hangtown.

Here's a cool panoramic shot from the hills at Glen Helen. I always dig shooting panos with my iPhone, because it gives you a totally different view of wherever you're at...and without having to haul out the heavy-duty gear.

Yep, road trips require road tunes, and this Stevie Ray Vaughn double album makes for good road cruising. It was cheap (maybe $12?), and I picked it up at one of my frequent stopping spots...Wal-Mart. My girlfriend also always makes me a CD that becomes a bit of the summer soundtrack.

The Specialized Camber Expert Comp 29er is my companion for the summer. It's pretty easy to get in a quick ride (I tried for three a week), and you get a better sense of the places that you stop in. I bypassed Moab this year to try Fruita, Colorado, and I'll stop in again here for sure. That's the Colorado River in the distance, and getting off and on I-70 is easy. For a bike shop I'd suggest Over The Edge Sports (where I ran into a Vital MX fan), and for food? The Hot Tomato Cafe had some great post-ride pizza.

Watching Chad Reed wrestle with what to do with his team was one of the bummers of the summer tour. Here's hoping that what he has next will make him happy year-round.

After the Lakewood round, there was a pit stop at the Coors Brewery Tour in Golden, CO. The funny part is, I don't actually drink a lot of beer. But it's fun to see something local, that's free, and that has beer at the end. You can sample three different ones here at the end of the trip through the brewery. You could tell who was interested in the actual brewing on the self-paced audio tour, and who was just sprinting for the end.

Sorry, Kansas folks, but I finally found a reason to get excited about crossing the state. Wilson State Park has some epic singletrack (20 miles worth), and it'll be a regular stop in the future.

On the way across from Thunder Valley to Muddy Creek, I stopped in St. Louis and did another brewery tour, this time at Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser). This one covered the Clydesdale stables, brewery, and history, and had one sample during the tour (fresh), and one sample of your choice at the end.

Going through Nashville, it was a perfect time for a dinner stop, and a stroll down Broadway to check out a few honky-tonks.

After Muddy Creek, there was a run to Charlotte, where we checked out Club MX, the JGRMX shops, a Wednesday night mountain bike race that a lot of the NC-based riders competed in, and a trip to the Hendricks Motorsports Museum. Rather than some of their current cars (Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt and Jimmie Johnson), the cars of Terry Labonte, Tim Richmond, and one of Jeff Gordon's sprinters caught my eye.

Driving from the races week-to-week, you almost always run into one rig or another along the road. This one was parked in a Wal-Mart parking lot after the conclusion of the High Point National.

After High Point, I picked up a 3DR Solo to try out. I've used quadcopters in the past to capture aerial images, and this one far surpasses the one that I had in the past, both in performance and ease of flying.

Here was one of the first test shots I took with it, over the West Virginia Mountaineers baseball stadium. No, I don't fly over live events, and I do my best to fly responsibly. There's enough drone hysteria out there without behaving badly.

I caught this shot in Pittsburgh, during a thunderstorm there. Yep, burst mode works really well on iPhones. (There's your photo tip of the day.)

Following the High Point National, there was a weekend off, and I used it to travel to Canada to see my son, Gabriel, graduate from high school.

I also went home for a few days to check in with my girlfriend, Toni. This is her, and her younger daughter, Chloe.

The Budds Creek National? That was memorable for its massive rainstorm before the final 450 moto. DC shot this one, and is mostly notable because of how slippery the logs were, and that I was standing about 20 feet over the starting gate.

After Budds Creek, I stopped by the 911 Memorial in Shanksville, PA. One of the rangers there did a great job of telling the story of Flight 93. It's worth a visit.

Brandon Anderson caught me lurking around his bike at Red Bud.

With another weekend off after Red Bud, I went hunting for mountain biking in Norther Michigan...WAY Northern Michigan. Copper Harbor makes for a great destination, with camping, sightseeing, and relaxing. This is Fort Wilkins State Park, which was an old Army outpost. That's Lake Superior on one side, and Lake Fanny Hooe on the other.

The State Park is a living history type park, with people playing the roles of residents from back in the day.

There's also some killer mountain biking in the area, with miles of cool trails. I got my fill before heading towards Minneapolis, and then Millville. That's Ayrton Houk, who I ran into along with his dad, Kevin. He's a little ripper.

North West Company Post in Pine City, MN, is a cool way to see how fur trading posts worked back in the day, and how the voyageurs lived and worked.

I stopped in to shoot some photos and work on an article with Christian Craig, and this was a private track he was riding. It was rough, fast, and nasty...perfect for training for the Nationals.

Chasing Christian and his crew over some of their favorite trails? Fun stuff indeed.

Going through Rapid City, SD, after Millville, there was a quick stop in Bear Country, USA. It's a drive-through wild animal park with different animals in various sections. I made eye contact with this wolf, and grabbed a shot.

The people in the motorhome behind me were chuckling after we exited the park, and they showed me the photo that they'd grabbed. After I drove by, he must have been bored, because he tried to remove my spare tire cover.

Going through Sturgis, they were getting ready for Bike Week (or month). This is from the Sturgis Bike Museum. After grabbing a burger in the Sidehack Saloon, it was back on the road.

One of the common questions I get is whether I'm worried about leaving my mountain bike in the back of the truck. Not particularly. The chain goes through the frame, and through the center of the back wheel.

Voodoo Donuts in Portland is a local landmark, and well worth a visit. I limited myself to one maple bar. They have some that are, um...more creative than that.

About a block away from Voodoo 2 is the See See Coffee Motorcycle Company, and it's definitely worth a trip, both for their brew, and the collection of bikes, helmets, and other coolness that abounds inside. I picked up a t-shirt from the motorcycle side, which said, "Racing is easy, and nothing ever goes wrong."

They do some really creative bikes at See See. Check them out at www.seeseemotorcycles.com

Toni joined me in Portland, OR, after the Washougal race, and we did a bit of sightseeing on the run home from there. A friend and Vital MX member offered up a place to stay at his home in Bend, and you can see part of his private track that's on the property. He's a lucky guy.

Toni had never done off-roading of any kind, so we hit the Oregon Dunes and grabbed a rental RZR for a couple hours. On the way out, I got a text from Nick Wey, saying he'd just passed us. He and a bunch of other MotoSport athletes had been filming in the dunes the day before.

Running through the California redwoods. Walking through the groves of trees is awe-inspiring.

Fog on the Oregon coast.

We caught a pod of gray whales feeding in the Point Lobos Marine Reserve, and plenty of other marine life, including seals, sea lions, and sea otters. That's a great place for a hike.

After flying to the Unadilla round, I did make one more road trip, to the last visit to Miller Motorsports Park. This was shot a couple nights before the race (and Ryan Dungey clinching the 450 title), as a thunderstorm brewed over the track.

Next year, look for a new trailer setup. This one got picked up the week after the race in Utah, and will make life on the road a little less primitive. It's a 21-footer, rather than the old 18-footer. Add in a slide, and it's way roomier than before. As you can see, I stripped off most of the stock graphics after picking it up, and took off even more after this photo was taken. I'm not sure if I'll add a wrap or graphics...that's TBD.

That's it for this summer! I hope you enjoyed the tour.</p>

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Dude .... you be stylin What a great synopsis and wonderful narrative. The pictures were awesome and your taste in music also. For someone who doesn't drink a lot of beer, you seem to have a penchant for visiting breweries Your post serves to inspire and that's why I really appreciate you taking the time to share all these adventures with us .... kudos my man

I love the quad shots ....can you give me an idea as to what something like that costs ? Also, looks like you have a satellite antenna on the 214 WSD. What a cool package.

Just curious also since you have such a history of cross country travel what your experiences have been with wheel bearing issues (how often do your repack them) ?

Also curious if you're into road bikes as well as the off-road variety ?

Here's a shot of me from 45 years ago (yes, you heard right) (District 37 desert racing)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
Dude .... you be stylin What a great synopsis and wonderful narrative. The pictures were awesome and your taste in music also. For someone who doesn't drink a lot of beer, you seem to have a penchant for visiting breweries Your post serves to inspire and that's why I really appreciate you taking the time to share all these adventures with us .... kudos my man

I love the quad shots ....can you give me an idea as to what something like that costs ? Also, looks like you have a satellite antenna on the 214 WSD. What a cool package.

Just curious also since you have such a history of cross country travel what your experiences have been with wheel bearing issues (how often do your repack them) ?

Also curious if you're into road bikes as well as the off-road variety ?

Here's a shot of me from 45 years ago (yes, you heard right) (District 37 desert racing)

Nice! Love the desert racing shot. Riding a TM? That's impressive...particularly if it was the 400, which was supposed to be a bit of an evil beast.

The quadcopter I'm using costs about $1k for the copter/controller/charger. At that point you're ready to fly. Just add your own Go Pro ($300-500.)

There's also another $400 add-on...a gimbal that keeps the camera level and smooth during flight.

Then I added a backpack ($150), long-range antenna ($129), and a couple extra batteries ($150 each).

You get first person view of what the copter sees via your smartphone or iPad Mini (another $299).

Okay, I think I'm done now.

I moved the satellite dish over from my last trailer. Doing a DirecTV receiver/DVR upgrade today.

I probably did a full repack/inspection every other year on the trailer, but did top off the hubs via the zerk fittings probably a couple times a year. I'm sure I've been lucky with bearings and hubs. No problems at all. I hope that continues on the new trailer.

I do ride road bikes more when at home, but stick with dirt during the summer. Actually, I'd probably prefer dirt full-time, but it's way more convenient to get in a road ride during the week at lunch.

The trailer's going out again this weekend. There's a USGP event at Glen Helen.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

Even I was no match for a TM400 (although I did have a 350 Big Horn single a bit later). You can probably tell by looking at the "slender" fork tubes and frame, along with the tiny stinger that this little guy started life as a 125 and then was bored out to accept a Kawasaki 175 piston. I could ride it all day and never get tired (it was quite light ...... as was I)

If you have never been to the Barber Museum, then you might like to check out my video from our channel ......

Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Even I was no match for a TM400 (although I did have a 350 Big Horn single a bit later). You can probably tell by looking at the "slender" fork tubes and frame, along with the tiny stinger that this little guy started life as a 125 and then was bored out to accept a Kawasaki 175 piston. I could ride it all day and never get tired (it was quite light ...... as was I)

If you have never been to the Barber Museum, then you might like to check out my video from our channel ......

Heck, all the vintage forks look skinny to me by today's standards.

I haven't been to Barber, but I have been to the AMA Museum (among others).
Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto
Quote:

Heck, all the vintage forks look skinny to me by today's standards.

I haven't been to Barber, but I have been to the AMA Museum (among others).
Barber is the largest motorcycle museum in the world and the coolest part is that the entire building was designed and built from the ground up specifically as a motorcycle museum ... not just a building they moved a bunch of motorcycles into .... it's too cool trust me

Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
roy

Awesome pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

I second the Barber museum in Leeds, AL. You can see just about everything two wheeled there. The racetrack out back ain't bad either.

I will be at Barber Motorsports Oct 22-25th to wrap up my racing season at the WERA Grand National Finals.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy

I second the Barber museum in Leeds, AL. You can see just about everything two wheeled there. The racetrack out back ain't bad either.

I will be at Barber Motorsports Oct 22-25th to wrap up my racing season at the WERA Grand National Finals.
We're thinking of going to the Vintage Classic a couple weeks prior

Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
roy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy

We're thinking of going to the Vintage Classic a couple weeks prior
That is a really popular event there with lots of stuff to look at and some decent racing to boot!

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

I have a good friend racing a 1967 Honda CB160 in that class that weekend.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy

At one time there was a little talk of having a motocross National there, but I don't have much opportunity to make it down there given our current schedule.

One of these days.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #12

At least you can see the museum in the video link I provided