Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Default 210 UDS refridgerator location

We currently own a 189 FBS and are thinking about trading it for a 210 UDS so we can get a walk around bed. We think the UDS will meet our needs but have a few concerns about the location of the fridge at the rear of the trailer. we can live with the slide being in the way when it's closed but how about the effects of all the bouncing around which occurs at the rear of the trailer during travel? Any adverse effects on contents? Also, how about all the road crud getting into the rear facing opennings?
We really like the layout of the 189 except the bed thing.

Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I have the 210 WBS which has the fridge in pretty the same spot and don't have any problems at all. As for the rear facing openings the only one I have is the hot water heater which hasn't been an issue either. Not sure what the UDS has facing the rear though.

I will say you will love the walk around bed, particularly for trips the bathroom in the middle of the night. The only downside is the bed is 74" long instead of 80". For me, it would nice to have that extra 6", but not nice enough to give up the walkaround bed.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

I had a 210 WBS and the refrigerator sat rearward of the axles...not dead in the back wall as the UDS is. I can only guess, based on the "tumbled" contents that occurred sometimes in our WBS' rear pantry and medicine cabinet that most of the time the contents will be fine, but, most of the time is just that. It will only take one pot hole, or off-angle driveway to give everything in it "rough ride". Spring loaded shelf protectors will be a must and I would expect things like salad dressing bottles, condiment bottles, etc. to be their sides; make sure the lids are on tight!

We loved our 210WBS, but, the rear mounted refrigerator would be a no-go for us on the UDS design. That is just a personal thing...there are many floorplans that have a rear kitchen and people do just fine with them. Takes a "special touch" in packing those rigs, but, it can be done and, with a little experimentation, many people do just fine with that layout. IMHO, you can't beat the stability of a center kitchen (that's why more floorplans are laid out that way) and that is usually what I look for in any RV.

We loved the walk around bed in the 210WBS, that and the sofa slide, were what sold us on that floorplan. Two things that are definite non-starters for us is a bed that requires climbing over each other for anything but "sporting events" and outside kitchen units. We went to the Harrisburg RV show and the first thing my wife would say to a salesman that wanted to show us something was; "Does it have an outside kitchen? Yes? No thanks, what else have you got?"

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. We've always gone with the center kitchen for just the reasons you mention. We've had two sunlines an Aerolite and, now the 189 FDS. That's why I'm wondering about that rear fridge. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Oops. Guess I looked at the floor plan too quick. Missed the part about the fridge being all the way on the rear wall. I thought it was the same layout as the 210. Seems like that location puts it a bit far from the stove & sink.

One thing that can help with the fridge are those spring loaded bars you can get most RV supply places. They make it a bit easier to wedge stuff in so that it can't shift in transit.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote