Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Default A question of theft

Curious if any one here has ever had anything stolen when camping?

I'm referring to items like your portable generator (s), power cord, sewer line support, lawn chairs, grill, etc.

I believe most folks who camp are honest ~ but there are those who prey on 'easy marks' and driving thru a campground with expensive goodies provides some temptations to those with less than honorable intentions.

I have never lost anything, but I do secure my generators with a cable/lock.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #2

I'm still pretty newer to RV camping but I have plenty of tent camping under my belt. I think for the most part people that go camping are pretty stand up/good people but with that said there are always a few bad apples. I've never had anything stolen from my site but I think that is also due to trying my best not to make it so temping for thieves. I always lock up my canoe and bikes with separate chains and locks, not leave anything out (besides my umbrella chairs and some little stuff), and take any thing of value with me if I leave. I'm guessing I will probably just lock my valuables in the camper now. Idk how true they are but I have heard stories about people leaving their site and coming back to find that there entire camper has been stolen. Now hunting for me is a different story, I've had a lot of equipment stolen over the years. Some people just don't care that some one else worked hard/saved up to get what they just stole.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

Default Nope

Never had a problem, and that is a surprise, really. We live in California, and sometimes the campgrounds are fairly close to major urban areas with high crime rates. Yet we have never had a problem. I don't know why. We don't leave anything valuable outside or unlocked.

When we are boondocking way out in the middle of nowhere, we are not as careful, and we never see anybody, anyways.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Generators seem to be the hot item for theft. Most likely because they are relatively easy to steal and can be sold pretty easily. Particularly the smaller ones like the Honda 2000. Honda even sells a metal handle reinforcement so thieves can't cut through the handle of one that's locked up. At the some of the local US Forest Service sites the campground hosts warn people not to leave generators unattended.

I have the Honda 3000 which is kind of heavy at 130 lbs so not as easy to grab. I still lock it with a heavy duty cable lock and I don't leave it out when I'm gone.

So far I've never had a problem.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

This is an old thread but wanted to add that I secure my pair of Honda 2000 i gennys with an alarm cable lock.

I've never had anyone mess with them when at the camper or when away all day like at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, etc.

I acquired my a few years ago when Northern wholesale had them on closeout for about $25 each...and bought 4 or them, 2 different lengths each. Also run the "toy hauler lock" that came attached to the camper frame thru the handles covered with the Honda 'anti-theft' metal covers.

Here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-DB-8-FO...item41d3f21144

and here w/15' cable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-DB-8-FO...item41d3f21144
Old 07-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Hello Eagle... Long time no talk!!
We went through a series of medical issues over here that took care of all my time! Good to see some of the old gang is still here!!
I have not had any issues yet, but like already stated, I leave little out for easy pick up. My concern has always been my power cord, but as of yet (Knock on wood), it is always there and works when I get back from a day trek somewhere!!

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Last year my future son in law left his expensive watch on the picnic table while he went swimming..... gone....but duh!!

My son, the same day, lost his Sony Camera.

You just should not leave expensive little things visible no matter where you are.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #8

I learned at an early age that things left available to temptation with sooner or later be gone. So, I even throw by lawn chairs inside when taking off. My trailer is just under 20' with no place to mount a generator and if I plan on extended dry camping, I throw a small generator in the truck and use it to charge batteries if needed. Not much gets left out except maybe the outside ground rug...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
APD

We remove the temptation. I consider it part of being a good neighbor. If thieves learn that campgrounds are not good hunting grounds they'll stop visiting and that's good for everyone.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

I'm more concerned about someone stealing the whole trailer while we are either away from home or away from the trailer out geocaching.

I use TWO locks on my hitch and a cable lock on my tanks. One of the hitch locks is a cheesy pin type lock that fits through the hole of the part of the hitch that flips ups. You can easily break these with a rock or hammer so don't depend on them. The other is a "Master" brand lock that completely blocks the bottom part of the hitch where the ball fits into it. It is very strong and you would have to work very hard to defeat it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Default Walmart incident

Not a theft but a strange story. I often spend a night here and there in Walmart when traveling. We RV pretty low key so we often don’t make a lot of hard plans. The family (2 adults 2 young kids) were on the way to Baxter in Maine. We stayed in the Walmart just over the bridge from Kittery in New Hampshire. We were parked alone in a dimly lit part of the lot. I heard a car idling outside. I popped the window blind up a bit to take a look. There was a Japanese import car sitting facing my camper about 10-15 feet away from the trailer. I wasn’t too alarmed and put the shade down and continued with what we were doing. Not too long after that the car was still there and I was alarmed. Half dressed I tucked my hunting knife (the size of a small Roman sword) behind my belt and quickly exited the trailer around the back corner toward the car. They raced off never to bother us again. In hind sight I think they my have been thinking of robbing us and were trying to get up the nerve. Be careful where you park. If you choose to park alone realize you are more vulnerable then when parked with everyone else.
lou_bdoll@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #12

We should start a thread on "Scary Camping Stories." I've to a pretty good one too.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_bdoll@yahoo.com View Post
Not a theft but a strange story. I often spend a night here and there in Walmart when traveling. We RV pretty low key so we often don’t make a lot of hard plans. The family (2 adults 2 young kids) were on the way to Baxter in Maine. We stayed in the Walmart just over the bridge from Kittery in New Hampshire. We were parked alone in a dimly lit part of the lot. I heard a car idling outside. I popped the window blind up a bit to take a look. There was a Japanese import car sitting facing my camper about 10-15 feet away from the trailer. I wasn’t too alarmed and put the shade down and continued with what we were doing. Not too long after that the car was still there and I was alarmed. Half dressed I tucked my hunting knife (the size of a small Roman sword) behind my belt and quickly exited the trailer around the back corner toward the car. They raced off never to bother us again. In hind sight I think they my have been thinking of robbing us and were trying to get up the nerve. Be careful where you park. If you choose to park alone realize you are more vulnerable then when parked with everyone else.
So far, never had an incident, however, with so many fruit cakes. loonies and druggies running loose, I have this: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

As a former FFL & with a concealed carry permit for decades, preparation and common sense in all things assures safety and well being.

I also keep a can of pepper stray just inside the door of the toy hauler. Wasp spray also works well as it will shoot a stream about 15' or 20' and is equally effective.

At my age, I ain't into physical contact - the pain ain't worth the gain and it takes to long to heal!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hello Eagle... Long time no talk!!
We went through a series of medical issues over here that took care of all my time! Good to see some of the old gang is still here!!
I have not had any issues yet, but like already stated, I leave little out for easy pick up. My concern has always been my power cord, but as of yet (Knock on wood), it is always there and works when I get back from a day trek somewhere!!

Good to hear from you again. Medical issues can be difficult and time consuming ~ trust all is on the mend and getting better.

BTW - I made a lock for my power cord. Took a heavy piece of aluminum strap about 1.5" wide and 3/8" thick (found at Menards/Lowes/Home Depot) and curved it around the cord with a tab to drill a hole in .. loose enough so will slide the length of the cord between the plugs. A short cable fastened to the camper frame and then padlock the cord to the cable. I've only secured the cable once when overnighting in a Wally world parking lot.