Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Default Advice requested. Un-winterizing rig, when?

We live in a northern state zone 5/6. When do you think it is safe to un-winterize your rig? Do you wait until all danger of frost is past, like in gardening? Or what criteria do you use? We have a new-to-us RV and want to test out the water system but don't want to re-winterize it. I know it's only mid-March. Thanks for all advice.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Team

I may not be the best source of advice since I have never winterized my trailer, but IMHO it's not like gardening. Dropping below freezing for couple of hours won't hurt anything. Where I live we often have temps below freezing overnight during the winter but the actual length of time below freezing is rarely more than 6-8 hours or so. If you think you'll have temps below freezing for 24 hrs straight or longer, then I would rewinterize.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

I also, live about as far north in the USA as you.

My unit will be available from winter storage end of the first week in April and I will bring it home. However, I will not de-winterize for maybe a month because I have no trips planned in that time frame.

I normally check everything over, re-install whatever 'stock' items were removed for the winter, clean the unit, etc. and the last thing is to de-winterize when the 'accuweather.com' extended forecast indicates night temps not lower than the mid 20's so feel comfortable.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I may not be the best source of advice since I have never winterized my trailer, but IMHO it's not like gardening. Dropping below freezing for couple of hours won't hurt anything. Where I live we often have temps below freezing overnight during the winter but the actual length of time below freezing is rarely more than 6-8 hours or so. If you think you'll have temps below freezing for 24 hrs straight or longer, then I would rewinterize.
Good thoughts!!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Thanks Eagle. Our maiden voyage is planned for a couple of nights at the beginning of May. We will be camping about 5 miles from home with full hookups. Lol! Paul wants to make sure all systems are good while we are close to home in case he needs any tools or anything fails. We are fortunate to live in a vacation destination spot so there are a lot of campgrounds here to choose from. So I will spend April sewing new cushions, vaances and the privacy curtain. And working on the garden. And not de-winterizing till late April.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

I'm in Minnesota, the 3rd coldest state in the country. Most campgrounds here open in late April, and I usually de-winterize the first weekend of April.

We've had it out in below freezing temps and other than having the coldest water ever coming out of the tap, it was fine. I think the heater inside provides enough warmth to the floor to keep it from freezing if the temp is in the mid to upper 20's. I was concerned about the hose outside freezing, so I left the bathroom dripping all night. No problems.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
I'm in Minnesota, the 3rd coldest state in the country. Most campgrounds here open in late April, and I usually de-winterize the first weekend of April.

We've had it out in below freezing temps and other than having the coldest water ever coming out of the tap, it was fine. I think the heater inside provides enough warmth to the floor to keep it from freezing if the temp is in the mid to upper 20's. I was concerned about the hose outside freezing, so I left the bathroom dripping all night. No problems.
Thanks! I appreciate hearing that.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Dagnabit ~ woke up this AM to all white outside. It snowed last night, not alot but turned everything white.

It snowed because I just took the winter snow tires off the Harley and put on the summer tires ....... but I ain't changing them back. The snow can just melt away !!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Dagnabit ~ woke up this AM to all white outside. It snowed last night, not alot but turned everything white.

It snowed because I just took the winter snow tires off the Harley and put on the summer tires ....... but I ain't changing them back. The snow can just melt away !!

Awwww......best laid plans...you have snow tires for your Harley???? Lol!!!