Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

Default Buying a Shadow Cruiser 285RLS - Yes or no?

Should I buy this thing? I have heard good and bad about Cruiser RV's It is a 2012 model. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Team

You will hear good and bad about every make/model of trailer. These things are basically built by hand which tends to introduce a lot of variability unlike cars. And just by towing them around it puts a huge amount of stress on them. They are also assembled with a good percentage of the components from other manufacturers like Atwood, Suburban, Thetford, Dexter, Coleman, Jensen, etc. My personal opinion is that the people with the biggest gripes also have unhelpful dealers who don't really care once the rig is off their lot.

So can you get a lemon from CruiserRV? Sure, but the chances of getting a lemon from any other manufacturer are just as good. The best bet is to do your homework up front, bring a checklist with you and go through everything in detail to make sure you know how to operate it and that it works properly when you pick it up.

My experience has been nothing good with my trailer. Probably the majoriity of owners are satisified as well. After all, it's only those that have problems that need to vent.

Good luck.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Thanks LJAZ. From my looking this unit over (it is a used 2012) it looks pretty good. Some things that don't quite stack up are:

1. Popup sized stabilizer jacks

2. Gas only water heater (I don't know of any that come this way anymore)

3. Solid entrance doors (no window, only peep holes)

4. Cabinet that opens to reveal a bank of 3 drawers
( would rather have drawer facings)

Everything else seems to be very nice!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like you've looked it over pretty good. Maybe you can use the things on your minuses list to negotiate a better price.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

I have the same exact model. Wife and I love it so far. My only complaint about it is that it's not insulated very well for the winter, but i see you're in the south so you shouldn't have problems with that.

First thing you should do when you get it is install a black tank flusher. Every RV should come with this feature IMO.

And i haven't had any issues with the stabilizer jacks.
metaltff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

Well we bought it! I really think we got a good deal on it. Mine is second handed, has the installed black tank flush thing-a-majig do-hicky. It needed to be used something awful though. Previous owner had let it run dry with a couple hundred t*^%s left in it. shewwwwwww-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Man!

I found out about the what cha ma call it way of cleaning it with the Calgon, bleach, and washing powder. I did the haz-mat thing. Went in with nose in one hand and solution in other. People please! Learn about black water tanks if ya haven't already! OK!?! hahahahahaha. I vent well, no?

(What is Geo, Alex)

sorry, I'm getting old....
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Wow, hope the PO knocked a few $$$$ off the price for leaving you with that mess.

Congrats on the new trailer!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Yes, he did give me a really nice price on it. That's all the ranting I think I'll do (for now anyway)

Thankz LJAZ!