Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Buying from outer state

Thinking about driving across country in the near future with the wife and son to experience this wonderful land. At the same time, stop by one of the dealership and buy a travel trailer.

Interested in something like the 189 model. I currently have the x139.

How difficult would it be for such a transaction for outer state purchase? People buy cars from outer states all the time and the dealership calculates tax at the buyer's resident state bracket, etc. I assume the travel trailer is the same in terms of paperwork.

I am currently in Southern California and everything here is expensive. The idea of experiencing America and buying a new trailer for less is intriguing.

Also, for something like the 189, would I need a sway control to pull it from the east coast to California? I currently have a new 2012 Tacoma Double Cab V6 (tow rated at 6400lbs).

Thanks,
Tntrac

tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #2

I live in TN and bought our trailer from a dealer in MI. Drove up there to pick it up. They handled the paperwork and affixed a temporary registration on the window. It was my responsibility to drive to my home state and register there.
You'll get lot's of opinions on a weight distribution hitch. Need one? Maybe/Maybe not. But you can't go wrong with one. Really makes a difference in towing/handling. I have a Nissan Titan and pull a 210UDS. More truck than a Tacoma, but still have a wdh. Just my opinion.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Bought my XT276 in another state.

Every state had different regs. The selling dealer provided me with the proper paperwork to title/register/pay sales tax and license in my state of residence.....which had to be completed in 30 days.

Same for motor vehicles purchased out of state.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

I talked to a wholesaler today. They said to put 1k deposit, then pay the quoted price when I pick it up. Also there is a $300 fees for docs and 6% of the sales tax has to be paid upfront and the remainder has to pay when I get to back to my state (8.75 - 6=2.75%).
tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

The doc fee charge is just another way for them to get an extra $300 or whatever the amount they want. Many places charge it tho.

If you pay sales tax in a state other than where you reside, be sure to get a receipt so your state will not charge you full amount sales tax again.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Site Team

The hitch weight on a 189 is between 300 and 400 lbs depending on which version. I would think you'd definitely need a WD hitch. As for sway control, maybe, maybe not. I don't use sway control on my 210 and have never felt the need even in windy conditions. There are WD hitches available where sway control is optional but could be added.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to smokjump

Drove from Maryland to Ohio to buy from Holman RV outside of Cincinatti. My daughter had done the same thing the year before. Tough to beat their prices and they do a lot of out of state business. I was in and out of the paperwork process in less than 30 minutes, very efficent and straight forward. They installed my new hitch and brakes while doing the paperwork and had a very good walkthrough shortly thereafter. All in all pretty good experience.
smokjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Default Fun Finder 210 from Holman - Delivered to AZ

I purchased my FF210 from Holman in Ohio. I wasn't in a hurry so I was able to order it in Apr with the options I wanted and get a 2013 model year (got it on July 4). I had it delivered to me and it was still cheaper than buying in state. One reason is you don't pay a city sales tax, only state tax. (6% for Maricopa county AZ) The delivery cost was 1,840 miles X 1.65 = $3,036. In this case abou $1K for every 600 Miles. Do the math.... if you want to knock $1000 of the delivery price, you drive 600 miles there and back, so 1,200 miles total. Figure 15mpg out and 10 mpg back and figure the cost of gas, and do you have the 2 days to spare....... so maybe for the $1000 off the delivery you save yourself $500 - $600 for every 600miles you drive depending on gas/hotel/food...

In my case, the driver ran over a tire tread and it crinkled the aluminum skirt on the driver side, damaged the 2 driver side stabilizer jacks, and the grey water valve leaks...... If that were me driving I would be paying for that.... Now I still have to get it repaired, but Holman is working with me and the driver to get it taken care of.

Only downside of out of state purchase with a delivery is you don't get to inspect it. I found out I can't get cable TV... Hooked it up at my house... set the TV to cable... hit booster and no signal. The appliances are all stainless except for the microwave which for some reason is black... working with Holman to replace that too. You think they would have caught that.

All in all I still think it was better than dealing with my local dealer. When I called to get their price on a FF210, he informed me cruiser RV only makes models with slide outs and didn't know where I got my info from. When I told him the company's website and another dealer, he said it didn't matter, they wouldn't even bother selling one without a slide..... what a jack@$$.

Would I buy from out of state again? probably. you're going to have little issues no mater what. If you want the best deal, use a dealer with a good reputation like Holman and go for it. Only thing I may do different is insist on it being put on a flatbed and carried out instead of having them tow it.

I did get the WD hitch, but haven't used it yet (only 1 trip to the grand canyon so far). My 08 Tundra does fine without. But it did wag pretty good in strong wind, so may hook it up for highway use still. I would recommend on for a Tacoma since it's a lighter weight truck. Better to have not need rather than tow it through rough weather or high winds.
LagoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Did you try your cable without your booster turned on? The booster is for your over the air antenna. You are susposed to turn it off when connecting to cable.

I have a WD hitch I used with my previous 27 ft prowler so I kept it with the
X210 WBS but I really can't tell much difference with the bars attached or not. I'm pulling with a 1/2 ton dodge ram and the trailer doesn't move that truck at all. I will probably use the WD on the interstate as it will help when the semi's pass.

Fredericksburg, Va.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote