Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
I've done a lot of research on this topic on half dozen forums and then also got confirmation from a friend who's been pulling TTs for over 25 years. He's had a big 5er for over 15 years and all the info I dug up indicates that the best built ST tire is made in Thailand by Maxxis. Most of the off-brands including the Goodyears are all made in China and suffer the same quality issues. The Maxxis tires have more plys and more robust construction (they weigh more than the Chinese tires do). They're also better balanced right out of the mold than the Chinese tire and require less added weights in dynamic balancing.

If you have 14 inch wheels, Khumo makes an LT 857 radial just for trailer application. I think Tire Rack.com's description for them is .....
C205R-14 Khumo Radial 857 Trailer use only D

This is a D rated tire (over most of the other C rated Chinese tires). It has 8 plys instead of the stock tire 4 ply. It raises the load rating from a standard 1760 lbs to nearly 2200 lbs per tire. It also carries a pressure rating of 65 psi over the Chinese tire rating of 50 psi. I switched out a set on a new TT this summer, traveled well over 8,000 miles through Utah on 110 degree days and the tires and wheels were comfortably warm to the touch. No signs of wear either what so ever. They were a bit expensive, but peace of mind comes with a premium I guess.

The only thing of note is that they are sized based on a metric scale and are not exactly the same as the standard 205/75/14. They are about 0.400 inches taller over all (diameter) or 0.200 bigger radius.
Hello,

Can you please tell me what size Kumho's you are running?

On their website, I see the 185R14 (25.6" diameter and 7.4" width), 195R14 (26.2" diameter and 7.8" width) and 205R14 (27.0" diameter and 8.0" width).

I'm trying to understand what will fit best on my 189FDS to replace the stock 205/75R14 tires.

Thank you!

fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote