Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Default Champion 4000

Hey everybody I'm looking for you opinion on a champion 4000w generator. Went on a camping trip and my uncle has this gen. It was running 3 different campers at the same time for most of the weekend. Now I know Hondas are the quietest and I would love to get a 3000i honda but funds for the next couple of years will not allow a purchase like that. My uncle spent $250 (this is more in my price range) for his champion and it's actually sounds quieter then my dads fairly new 4000w honda open frame gen. If anybody has this gen I would love to hear how it holds up long term and if you tried anything to make it quieter then it already is (different muffler of rigged up a sound damping box). It already has good reviews on the websites I looked at. I'm sure there will be a lot of people saying just buy a honda Yamaha or some other type of inverter gen but like I said funds will not allow a purchase like that any time soon. Thanks guys!

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Just be aware that changing the muffler or modifying one, may make them illegal to run in National Forests because of the strict enforcement of having "spark arrestors" installed. The stock units have to be certified and approved by the Park Service in order to operate in certain parks and areas. That's one thing I would check to see if the Champion is a certified unit.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #3

I have had one for about 2 years that gets used pretty frequently and I am super happy with it. Can't beat it for the price. It's very quiet for an open frame generator and it always starts on the first or second pull. I have not had a single problem out of mine and my only complaint would be that it pretty much takes 2 people to move it around, seems kind of heavy for its size. I always leave it off during the day when we are outside and then I fill it up and run it all night while sleeping. Has always made it through the night. I would def recommend one.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Besides a lower noise level, inverter generators provide cleaner more stable power which is important if you plan to use electronics like a computer. Champion also now makes a 3000 Watt inverter generator for around $800 or so which is less than half the price of the equivalent Honda, although a lot more $$ than the open frame.

You might want to give a quick look to your local Craigs list also. I bought my Honda from CL at way less than full price and it had only been run once. Still had all the tags on it even. Interesting enough there were several of them listed all fairly new. The guy I bought mine from worked for an RV dealer and told me that people often buy them new with the RV and find out they don't need them and then sell them cheap. That's how he came to be selling the one I bought.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
Just be aware that changing the muffler or modifying one, may make them illegal to run in National Forests because of the strict enforcement of having "spark arrestors" installed. The stock units have to be certified and approved by the Park Service in order to operate in certain parks and areas. That's one thing I would check to see if the Champion is a certified unit.
I believe the 4000s have a flange on the muffler if you wanted to install a spark arrester. As of now I don't have any national parks I will be visiting in the near future but if is something to keep in mind. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrdeputy
I have had one for about 2 years that gets used pretty frequently and I am super happy with it. Can't beat it for the price. It's very quiet for an open frame generator and it always starts on the first or second pull. I have not had a single problem out of mine and my only complaint would be that it pretty much takes 2 people to move it around, seems kind of heavy for its size. I always leave it off during the day when we are outside and then I fill it up and run it all night while sleeping. Has always made it through the night. I would def recommend one.
Yea we had no issues with my uncles gen. I'm not to worried about the weight, I was moving my uncles around with out any issues. And if I don't feel like carrying it they do make a wheel kit!
Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Besides a lower noise level, inverter generators provide cleaner more stable power which is important if you plan to use electronics like a computer. Champion also now makes a 3000 Watt inverter generator for around $800 or so which is less than half the price of the equivalent Honda, although a lot more $$ than the open frame.

You might want to give a quick look to your local Craigs list also. I bought my Honda from CL at way less than full price and it had only been run once. Still had all the tags on it even. Interesting enough there were several of them listed all fairly new. The guy I bought mine from worked for an RV dealer and told me that people often buy them new with the RV and find out they don't need them and then sell them cheap. That's how he came to be selling the one I bought.
Main reason I'm buying the gen is for a/c and to charge batteries. No computers allowed on my camping trips! Lol I've been cruising craigs list every now and then looking for cheap Hondas but to no avail.