Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

Default Cleaning fresh water tank???

Do i need to sanatize my fresh water tank if i dont use it for drinking, just for showers? I fill it from my well water at my house if that makes a difference.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Default sanitizing the water tank.

There are some nasty critters living in most untreated water sources. Things that cause short and long term discomfort and disease. First, your well has no residual disinfection, so anything in the trailer tank is just going to continue. Second, it's hard to believe you only come into contact with tank water in the shower. How about washing hands, cooking, brushing teeth, etc? All of there are exposure routes. Besides it's relatively easy to sanitize the RV tank. Just fill it with clean water, put in 1-2 cups of bleach and go for a drive with the trailer. Leave the bleach water in the tank for an hour. Drain the tank, and flush at least once with fresh water. Run all the faucets with the bleach water and the flush water. You may have seen threads on this forum about the tank and not being able to remove all the water. that's a good argument for flushing the tank a few times.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

sounds easy enough to do, we do use bottled water for teeth brushing. for as easy as it seems to do , i might as well just do it