Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
jc

Default Considering buying a used Shadow FunFinder X...advice needed

Hey Guys...We currently have an adventure trailer system with a tent and we are looking at upgrading to an enclosed trailer. There is one for sale in our area. Here is the ad... http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/4063137305.html
I was wondering what you thought of the price and if it seems like a good deal. Also any thoughts on pulling it with an FJ cruiser or Nissan X terra...I'd also love to hear your thoughts on your trailers and how you like them.

jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to shadow

seems a bit high in price to me. I would run everything for 24 hours to make sure it all works correctly. check tank indicators, battery levels and so fourth. Check very closely for leaks around windows, roof..any place you see a seam. Get on roof and make sure it is solid, should not have any significant flexing. When figuring your load add water weight, waste water weight, fridge contents, and account for all your "stuff" (prob another 300-500lbs to be safe. Your FJ should haul it fine, suggest you get hitch with sway bars, will improve tracking immensely. If you plan on doing a lot of camping w/o power supply, consider going to 2 6v golf batteries, you'll get more amp hours than most single 12 v, wire in series to get 12 v. Also, consider adding a decent solar panel, these are great add-ons and will keep you powered up rain or shine. One big drain is the fridge, do not run on 12v when dry camping, always propane, battery can't handle prolonged fridge drain. Also, some fridges have a condensation heater built into seal, disable that, again drains a fair amount of power. Lastly, get a decent gen set, stay away from champion, while cheap they are not very good, I went through 3 before figuring out they really suck, had extended warranty was the only redemming factor, went with Honda 2000, quiet and can run either microwave or A/C for several hours and can be used in any national forest campground. Also, change lights out with LED, color might be a bit different but it won't have any effect on your battery system

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

Default Champion gens are fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
seems a bit high in price to me. I would run everything for 24 hours to make sure it all works correctly. check tank indicators, battery levels and so fourth. Check very closely for leaks around windows, roof..any place you see a seam. Get on roof and make sure it is solid, should not have any significant flexing. When figuring your load add water weight, waste water weight, fridge contents, and account for all your "stuff" (prob another 300-500lbs to be safe. Your FJ should haul it fine, suggest you get hitch with sway bars, will improve tracking immensely. If you plan on doing a lot of camping w/o power supply, consider going to 2 6v golf batteries, you'll get more amp hours than most single 12 v, wire in series to get 12 v. Also, consider adding a decent solar panel, these are great add-ons and will keep you powered up rain or shine. One big drain is the fridge, do not run on 12v when dry camping, always propane, battery can't handle prolonged fridge drain. Also, some fridges have a condensation heater built into seal, disable that, again drains a fair amount of power. Lastly, get a decent gen set, stay away from champion, while cheap they are not very good, I went through 3 before figuring out they really suck, had extended warranty was the only redemming factor, went with Honda 2000, quiet and can run either microwave or A/C for several hours and can be used in any national forest campground. Also, change lights out with LED, color might be a bit different but it won't have any effect on your battery system
rj4hunting is offline   Reply With Quote