Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Default Cpap machine

I have to use a cpap machine at night. Our hookup is 30amp. Can I plug in the machine and be ok?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Team

How many amps does your cpap machine draw? Do you run it from a regular outlet in your house? Or do you have to have a special outlet? If you run it from a normal house outlet that is usually 15 amps so you should be able to run it on the trailer as long as you're plugged into shore power.

I fixed your typo too. After a few replies the threads will get separated and your update won't make much sense by itself.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

I've have used a CPAP machine in a pop up and now in a trailer for the past 9 years. If you can plug into shore power the machine will work just as it does at home. My current machine will run on either 120v (AC) or 12v (DC). I have 2 12v batteries in my trailer so I can use the CPAP without shore power. There is nothing worse than having your CPAP run out of power in the middle of the night. It causes dreams about drowning that wake you up because you run out of air. I have to turn off the CPAP humidifier though. The batteries will last a couple of nights if I don't use the battery power for a lot of other things. I carry a generator to recharge the batteries to make sure I can use the CPAP.

Don't let your CPAP keep you from enjoying your camping. There lots of solutions to the power issue. My next move is solar to charge the batteries.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

Default cpap machine

Thanks for the replies! I plug it into regular house outlet at home. I just wanted to make sure I can plug it in the TT 'cuz I read on another forum that someone had to use a generator even though they were plugged into shore power! Love this forum....so many ideas and answers! Hope to go on our "maiden" camping trip soon. Right now yard is too muddy to get the TT out. I've been ready to camp since hubby brought it home!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Default cpap machine

Thanks for the replies! I plug it into regular house outlet at home. I just wanted to make sure I can plug it in the TT 'cuz I read on another forum that someone had to use a generator even though they were plugged into shore power! Love this forum....so many ideas and answers! Hope to go on our "maiden" camping trip soon. Right now yard is too muddy to get the TT out. I've been ready to camp since hubby brought it home!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

Unless that is some ancient CPAP (which should be replaced) or it does something other than that (like adding oxygen or something) it should work just fine.

My wife and I both have respironics BiPap machines with humidifiers. One time we dry camped and had them both plugged into a small inverter. That ran both of them the whole night off of the 12V battery system.

It really is a non-issue if you do not do dry camping.

An example of the machines we have http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/DS950HS...umidifier.aspx
WSKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #7

Default cpap machine

Thanks for the info! Don't plan on boondocking...much!