Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Denver to St. Louis ... Our first long trip (850 miles)

6/10/2016 - Denver to Salina, KS, was about a six-hour trip. It was our first boondocking experience. The Flying J truck stop in Salina is pretty nice, and there is plenty of room to park an RV for the night.

We ran our generator on gasoline for a couple hours to get the AC going (the temps were in the 90s). Then we switched to propane, using one of the grill-sized propane bottles, and it ran the generator (and our AC and my CPAP machine) all night long and a few hours into the morning.

It took the AC a good 20 minutes to cool down the RV, but then it kept it quite chilly for the rest of the night.

Since we were boondocking, we used our fresh water supply. Our 35-gallon fresh water tank provided plenty of water. It's difficult to tell how much we used, but since we don't really plan to boondock for more than a night or two at a time, I doubt that will ever be a problem.

6/11/2016 - When we woke up in the morning, we headed to St. Louis (a seven hour trip) and set up camp at the Granite City KOA just across the border in Illinois. It is a full hook-up spot, so for tonight and the following two nights, we have the benefit of AC, cable, all the water we can use, and sewer.

Our Positive Gun Dog Training workshop in St. Louis is tomorrow. After that, Linda and I will spend a day in St. Louis seeing the sites before heading to Lexington.

The 90+ degree temps had an effect on the dogs, who were kenneled in the back of the truck. They did well, and we stopped several times on each leg of the journey to water and walk them. But, they are sure happy to snooze on the floor of the cool RV.

One thing about this trip that I'm happy about: I was a bit worried that this RV would turn out to be a toy that would slowly disintegrate as we went down the road; but it is actually doing very well on this first 850 mile journey. This makes it easier to see it as a home on wheels. We have a long way to go before this 17-day trip is over, but I'm growing in confidence in my equipment.

Thomas Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote