Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #41

The video desrcription tells the story We have an awesome back yard Also, FYI ... there are lots of nice waterside campgrounds around the lake (COE).

Old 01-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly View Post
I try and use a good tripod but I don't carry it with me when I have to hike any distance. ...
Hi Yoly, Have you tried using your walking stick for a mono-pod ... It can help and stabilize you on an uneven, slippery, or lose trail...

Just t thought...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Yoly, Have you tried using your walking stick for a mono-pod ... It can help and stabilize you on an uneven, slippery, or lose trail...

Just t thought...
Not sure exactly what you mean John ? That a walking stick can be used as a mono-pod ? Yoly uses a walking stick for balance as she has ankle problems but I don't. I do have a mono-pod which I find harder to hold still than just holding the camera I do get pretty smooth footage with my GoPro mounted to the top of my bicycle helmet when hiking

Old 01-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #44

I used to take a lot of outdoor and animal shots with fairly a long lens and had to have a steady rest... offhand was really out of the question.

I made a fairly tall walking stick (close to shoulder height) and could stabilize the camera on top of or on the side of the stick. It wasn't tripod and it sure helped if there was a tree nearby that I could brace the camera and stick, but it helped. I never made the transition to a large digital camera with interchangeable lens and carry a pocket digital anymore... I miss the the old Canon A-1's, but not carrying all that stuff!!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I used to take a lot of outdoor and animal shots with fairly a long lens and had to have a steady rest... offhand was really out of the question.

I made a fairly tall walking stick (close to shoulder height) and could stabilize the camera on top of or on the side of the stick. It wasn't tripod and it sure helped if there was a tree nearby that I could brace the camera and stick, but it helped. I never made the transition to a large digital camera with interchangeable lens and carry a pocket digital anymore... I miss the the old Canon A-1's, but not carrying all that stuff!!
Speaking of carrying stuff .... this is how I have to transport my new flying video camera

Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #46

Did you have to get a license to fly your drone w/camera?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Did you have to get a license to fly your drone w/camera?
You don't need a license to fly a quadcopter but it does have to be registered with the FAA by Feb 19th. Mine was registered the day their web-site went live last month

Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Speaking of carrying stuff .... this is how I have to transport my new flying video camera
Lucky you... (Just Joking, of course); my backpack was smaller (no flying machine inside) or in a bag the size of a large gym bag...

I enjoy your pics though... Great job...

Old 01-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #49

I found this on drones ~ apparently the feds can't make you register them anymore per this article from a law enforcement person:

FAA has no jurisdiction over drones. They cannot order registration.
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, section 336:

quote:
Section 336 prohibits the FAA from promulgating “any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft” if the following statutory requirements are met:

the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use.
the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization.
the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower ... with prior notice of the operation....

They cannot make the rules, they have already lost in court when they tried to fine one operator for $10.000.00
Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #50

Quote:
I found this on drones ~ apparently the feds can't make you register them anymore per this article from a law enforcement person:

FAA has no jurisdiction over drones. They cannot order registration.
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, section 336:

quote:
Section 336 prohibits the FAA from promulgating “any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft” if the following statutory requirements are met:

the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use.
the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization.
the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower ... with prior notice of the operation....

They cannot make the rules, they have already lost in court when they tried to fine one operator for $10.000.00
When you say that you "found this on drones" does that preclude the fact that registration is in fact mandatory under federal law. The rest of your quote fails to include the rest of the dialog that basically states that in spite of what you say above, the FAA still has jurisdiction over the airspace and you ARE subject to the law regardless. (I was going to post the entire pdf but it's just too large).

The reference you include about a court case finding in favor of the operator has NOTHING to do with this new regulation. This new regulation doesn't go into effect technically until February 19th. That is the date by which you are requited to register your drone. Anything occuring before that date is not relevent to the act of registration so your reference must be about something else such as an incident where a drone violated some other airspace regulation.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #51

OK ~ I guess passing on info received from a peace officer does not constitute ' a good legal opinion' ~ my bad & RED FACE!!

I'll leave it up to those who have drones to follow whatever regulations there are.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #52

Quote:
OK ~ I guess passing on info received from a peace officer does not constitute ' a good legal opinion' ~ my bad & RED FACE!!

I'll leave it up to those who have drones to follow whatever regulations there are.

Regardless of your source, didn't what I say make sense to you at all ? Instead of getting defensive, couldn't you have at least considered what I said relative to the dates involved ? The regulation doesn't go into effect until Feb 19th, so how can there be a court case involving a regulation that hasn't gone into effect yet ?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #53

Oh goodnes, I didn't intend to come across as defensive ~ only yielding to someone who clearly is more attuned to the aspects of drone use....reason for RED FACE !

Yup ~ clear on the dates, thanks for pointing that out too.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #54

Quote:
OK ~ I guess passing on info received from a peace officer does not constitute ' a good legal opinion'
I'm sorry Eagle for interpreting this as sarcasm .... my bad I didn't realize you meant this literally.
Sometimes it's hard to determine the tone of a conversation when it's text only.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #55
APD

Talking

I wonder if there's a restriction around "clothing optional" campgrounds?

Just wondering.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #56

Quote:
I'm sorry Eagle for interpreting this as sarcasm .... my bad I didn't realize you meant this literally.
Sometimes it's hard to determine the tone of a conversation when it's text only.
No problem as correct, it's difficult to determine conversation tone when in text only.