Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
I would say the RV Cruiser line is not the best or worst quality out there. Like I have mentioned before allot of issues could be avoided if the techs who PDI'S the RV'S would slow down. Our dealer promised me 3 steps to be installed instead of the 2 steps from the factory. They were kind enough to bring them out to our shop and install them but needed too much modification in the field and ordered another set. The tech then proceeded to pull the audio unit out, I questioned him on what was going on and he said they were upgrading the stereo as the one installed was a substandard unit. (Great right?). He was working in fast forward mode but seemed to know what he was doing. After he was finished I asked him to look at the antenna as it would lift but not turn. Seems they sealed it too well at the factory and he had to remove a small amount of sealant to allow it to turn. After he left I went and turned on the stereo and it would not save the preset radio station. He was in such a rush he terminated the wiring incorrectly. I then took it apart and tested the power wires and corrected the problem. Luckily it was nothing major that would of caused damage issues. Word of caution trailer owners, inspect your service work that "was" performed.
As I read this...,
So when you bought the rig the dealer let you upgrade to three steps but they were not installed yet when you took delivery so they came to your "shop" to install them but they were the wrong kind. At the same time the man who would have installed the steps automatically started tearing your stereo out without letting you know why. He fixed the antenna problem but created more problems with improper wiring and left. You took it upon yourself to figure out what was wrong and do their work for them. Did you ever get the correct steps and did they charge you extra for them? And why would s slower PDI have changed it?

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #22

I will say it again, the best approach is to buy use, but know what your buying. Chance are the big problems have already been dealt with. Warranties on new are hit and miss, and also take time out of the camping season to get repairs done at the dealer.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #23

My problem with buying used is all we have is the "hope" the previous owner fixed all the issues. There is also the possibility they decided fixing things just was not worth the time, instead they may have kept it for a while, then sell it. In that case, as a second buyer, I might be buying something that for instance might have water damage that is not easily seen.

But maybe this is just me. I buy all my trailers and vehicles new. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, travel trailer, horse trailers, equipment trailers. New is good ( in my mind ) because I keep things for a long time and meticulously maintain them.

My earlier comment about having spent less to repair the funfinder than I have on the Nissan truck and Ford truck was simply to make a comment/observation about the general notion that I see mentioned a lot on forums "that cars are better built" than RV's. Could be, because for sure, cars are far, far more complex.
But still, I stand by my statement that I have only spent a few dollars on this funfinder since new ( and yes, I know how many miles I have towed each of my four trailers ), other than the fact I tossed the original, low quality tires and replaced them with commercial LT truck tires. Which is something I do on my trailers that have to roll many miles. I prefer better tires than the trailer factories install.
Tires is a hotly debated subject though, so I ain't going off on that tangent again. I've researched, written and opined on the subject in the past. It's no-win argument to discuss it......it falls right in with religion and politics !

To take this back on topic, I still contend that of all the folks I camp with and talk to, both in person, and on forums, the folks I know that enjoy their RV the most, are the ones who know how to, and willing to work on them. RV's remind me a lot of horses, you have to be hands on, and really love the activity to get best enjoyment. I suppose some would see it as a fault of mine, but I enjoy getting my hands dirty and working up a sweat.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I will say it again, the best approach is to buy use, but know what your buying. Chance are the big problems have already been dealt with. Warranties on new are hit and miss, and also take time out of the camping season to get repairs done at the dealer.
Yup!
$13,000 would buy a lot of tow vehicle fuel also..
Example:
https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Eas...00BH-120827638
$22545.00
------------
https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Mik...00BH-121910826
$35120.00
Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #25

You make some good points gmw, however with 2 exceptions, every motor vehicle I've purchased was pre-owned and no major expenses incurred. However, I did check them out first and being a certified master mechanic, do know what to look for.

I take issue with the thought the previous owner fixed everything. The Ram pickup I now have was purchased used from a dealer. Once I received it (had is shipped from the east coast) and checked it out, an appointment was made with the local dealer. There were a number of issues to be corrected and ALL under warranty. Odd the previous owner and selling dealer (Xler Dealership) did not make those repairs ??

This toy hauler is my first camper and chose new because loved the floor plan and there were zero used unit available at the time. I received a huge discount from the dealer and got a detailed walk thru upon pickup.......and had read many articles/forums first. I have since seen the same toy hauler, 2 years old, sell used for about what I paid for new.

I'm pleased with the purchase.

And that is my experience.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #26

Eagle, good point on both the truck and the trailer you have. Your Ram truck is a good example of the first owner simply not taking care of issues that should have been dealt with. And that was all I was trying to say earlier, is that often on forums, folks will "assume" the first owner fixed any issues a trailer might have had from new. Maybe they did, maybe not. Same with tow vehicles.

Part of my personal logic in buying new tow vehicles is I am extremely picky about every option, right down to the color, of vehicles I buy. Since I keep them a long time, I want them to be exactly the vehicle I want. I've found this to be easier by purchasing new, even ordering them at times the way I want. The longer we keep something, the less important the spread of original cost ( new vs used ).
Also, I simply like new stuff.

As for trailer, I too found that a lot of late model funfinders were bringing close to "new" prices when I shopped this one in 2011. After a lot of searching, I found the exact trailer I wanted....600 miles away. And the price was discounted heavily ( high volume dealer ). I will gladly drive a very long way indeed to get "the item I want". Truth is, I would have paid more than I did, because it was exactly what I wanted.

When it comes to trailers, I don't want restoration projects. I have enough other things on my plate that I prefer doing. Fixing stuff the factory rushed thru is one thing....total rebuilds and restos are another world. I've restored several motorcycles in years past. Was fun then, but these days I've a grand-daughter that I show horses with, so I need trailers I hook up and go. Our needs and wants change over our lifetime.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

Yes, good points gmw.

Assuming the previous owner took care of issues in a motor vehicle or a trailer is a very false assumption....as far to often those 'issues' are covered over and hidden to make a quick sale.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
As I read this...,
So when you bought the rig the dealer let you upgrade to three steps but they were not installed yet when you took delivery so they came to your "shop" to install them but they were the wrong kind. At the same time the man who would have installed the steps automatically started tearing your stereo out without letting you know why. He fixed the antenna problem but created more problems with improper wiring and left. You took it upon yourself to figure out what was wrong and do their work for them. Did you ever get the correct steps and did they charge you extra for them? And why would s slower PDI have changed it?
Yes they upgraded the three steps, and it was a pleasant surprise to get the upgraded audio unit. The antenna was a separate issue that should have been caught during PDI as well as some other small issues. Service was excellent on some things and average on other. That's why I usually shut up and fix it right myself and 99% of the time I never have to look at it again. My previous post made sense to me but maybe not in text. Lol
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #29

Angry

So Cruiser contacted me to and let me know it was their fault on the roofing material color so they are next day airing the correct stuff tomorrow. It still sucks that I'm going to have to spend an hour picking up a trailer that should be done, take another hour to take it back and yet another to hopefully have a fixed unit. And I doubt they care up my gas bill or lost time from work.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Yes, good points gmw.

Assuming the previous owner took care of issues in a motor vehicle or a trailer is a very false assumption....as far to often those 'issues' are covered over and hidden to make a quick sale.
I don't think it's false. I doubt most people would put up with serious problems for three years or even two. Shiny new doesn't always make sense. Especially with quality going downhill every year.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenicjets View Post
So Cruiser contacted me to and let me know it was their fault on the roofing material color so they are next day airing the correct stuff tomorrow. It still sucks that I'm going to have to spend an hour picking up a trailer that should be done, take another hour to take it back and yet another to hopefully have a fixed unit. And I doubt they care up my gas bill or lost time from work.
Glad they communicated.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #32
APD

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenicjets View Post
Yes! Please keep us updated.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #33

for what it's worth, I feel for ya. Cruiser only seems to get on the ball if you really get in there face. I've had monumental issues with my FF, and thus far, all has been fixed, but it's stupid stuff. The FF ( Newer ones ) are a premium price over some of the others out there, for what you get. I love my upgrades, but so much of it is just poorly put together. The hidden hinges keep popping out, holes in the side of the trailer, the dealer had to fix a gutter, and the metal screw randomly broke off, so now more holes, they painted it the wrong color when fixing the holes, etc etc lol. I feel your pain. Unfortunately, what you see is what you get, crusier has no compasion for you, at all. If you get lucky enough to find a district rep then use him. I'd suggest calling your dealer, and demanding the number to the Cruiser RV rep for that district, they may not budge, but go above that person, and keep pounding. Once I got the direct rep, I was able to send him warranty pics personally and cut out the dealer, once it was approved by them, i THEN took it to the dealer. Saves you time on traveling back and fourth.

Billy is offline   Reply With Quote