Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #1

Default Fun Finder X240

My husband and I have decided to upgrade from a Pop-Up to a Travel Trailer. Found a used Fun Finder X240. Does anyone know why they discontinued this model in 2009? Would love to hear some feedback from folks who have the X240. We are raising our granddaughter and love the bunk beds in this model. The layout is nice with the walk around bed also. It's such a nice layout we can't understand why they don't make it anymore. The person selling it says it was used 3 times since Aug '07 when he bought it, due to an unfortunate divorce. Should we have concerns about the lack of use? Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Van

From what i was told by a dealer, both the 24' model and the 25' model were discontinued so they could focus on their smaller and lighter models.

We are very happy with our X250BHS and are very glad we found a new one on a lot last summer.

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear.

I read some of your other posts, so it seems you are a veteran camper. What are your thoughts on the lack of use for this trailer? My husband is meeting with the owner again today and he is to have it hooked up and everything running so we can check it out. In what area could there be potential problems so that he can pay particular attention to them?

I love this forum and the camper community seems to have such nice people!

Thanks again for your time!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #4

riverhawk, welcome! I would not worry at all on the lack of use, I believe it to be a benefit, you are now in a position to pick up a trailer that is practically new and you won't endure the depreciation from a "New" purchase. When first time buyers get their new RV, it seems they either love it and use it as much as possible, or don't and end up selling it after a couple outings. With your situation it seems like personal problems conspired against the owner and he is no longer in a position to use it. Either way, you are now in a position to help him out of a bad situation and upgrade to a great trailer!!

The one issue I would be looking at is the tires. We purchased a 2008 trailer and the tires on it were made in 2005. If the RV is 2 years old, there is a good chance the tires are 4 to 5 years old and should be replaced. Here is an excerpt from "NewRVer.com" that talks about tire age...

"The useful life of a tire is only five to seven years. For cars and trucks driven every day, the tread usually wears out in less than five years. For RVs that sit for a good part of the year, five years can pass with a lot of tread still left on the tire.

Although you may not want to replace what looks like a perfectly good tire, riding on tires more than five years old greatly increases the risk of a blowout.

Date Codes: Every tire has a date code stamped on the sidewall, which gives the date that the tire was manufactured. They look something like this: DOT PDHH MLOR 3403. The date code can be on either side of the tire, so you may have to crawl underneath the rig and look on the inward facing side. The date code always starts with the letters DOT and ends with a 3 or 4 digit number. That last number is the date code, which tells you when the tire was manufactured. The first two numbers indicate the week (out of 52) and the last one or two digits indicate the year. For instance, 3403 means the 34th week of 2003, or the last week in August 2003. Starting with the year 2000, the date codes have two digits for the year, prior to that, only one. A date code of 079 would indicate the seventh week of 1999, or the third week of February 1999.

Tires deteriorate with age, even when sitting on a shelf, so always ask to see the date code when you purchase new tires and insist on tires manufactured within the last few months. The tire dealer may give you a funny look because most consumers don't know about date codes. "

Look at the date codes on the tires and if they are 4 or 5 years old, ask the seller to reduce the asking price by $500 to cover the cost of new tires.

I hope this helps and good luck with the purchase!!
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear.

I read some of your other posts, so it seems you are a veteran camper. What are your thoughts on the lack of use for this trailer? My husband is meeting with the owner again today and he is to have it hooked up and everything running so we can check it out. In what area could there be potential problems so that he can pay particular attention to them?

I love this forum and the camper community seems to have such nice people!

Thanks again for your time!

I am on my third travel trailer now. The first two were "vintage" Airstreams that needed a lot of work, but were very fulfilling to own in their own right.

As Keyser said, lack of use is nothing but a good thing in my opinion. The allure of camping/rving isnt so great when in actual practice to some folks. So their nice new rvs sit beside the house unused. Or, perhaps medical issues came up in their family. Whatever the reason, you benefit from it. Go for it and enjoy your time in it!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #6

Default Thanks!

Van and Keyser.......Thanks so much for your responses! My husband met again with the owner yesterday and everything checked out great! Only thing left to do now is hook it up and see how it pulls with our Dodge 1500. Doing that today. My husband checked the tires as you recommended and they were mfgd in the 48th week of 2006. Thanks so much for that info! After reading your post, it reminded me of a program on "48 hours" that I saw a couple years ago about the problem with dealers keeping tires on their shelves for years and selling them as new.

We're hoping all goes well today.....don't want to get to excited just yet.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Van

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk
Only thing left to do now is hook it up and see how it pulls with our Dodge 1500. Doing that today.!

Anything other than great towing capabilites out of your truck and the X240 would shock me.