Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

Default FunFinder 189FBR to Grand Design Imagine Xls 18RBE

Hi all!

I have a wonderful 2008 189FBR, which I have totally remodeled to suit us. We love it and are now full time in it... But hubs is very tall and can't stand up under the a/c, bath is small and I'm getting to old to climb in and out of the bed. Haven't found another floorplan that we like... Until now! 2019 Grand Design Imagine Xls 18RBE Has anyone seen these or have experience with the Grand Design brand? Right now it's just daydreaming, but maybe in a year or so we will get one if the reviews are good. Would love to hear of others experiences. I think this is the first small trailer model. they've made. 22.5' big bath, no slides, a bumper, walk around bed, sounds good! Going to see one tomorrow. Share your thoughts?

Liz

Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Team

I have no experience with Grand Design, but it's probably no better or worse than most other brands out there. Seems nice enough, although my preference would be to have a slide.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I have no experience with Grand Design, but it's probably no better or worse than most other brands out there. Seems nice enough, although my preference would be to have a slide.

Well, it has R40 insulation in the ceiling and R30 in the floor, although the walls are only are 7 LOL seems like that would be good for full timing. It is very well built and very little wasted space at all. we don't want to slide so we were surprised to find one that was exactly the right floor plan

Liz
Old 10-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Actually, we have decided on the Imagine XLS 19rle because it has a U-shaped dinette with Windows all around it at the back of the trailer. That was the one thing I really wished I had in my Fun Finder.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

R40’ in the ceiling and R30 in the floor is an exageration. The ceiling would need to be 20 inches thick. That alone raises a red flag of concern, if they are lying about the product- puts everything they do in question.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Well, it has R40 insulation in the ceiling and R30 in the floor, although the walls are only are 7 LOL seems like that would be good for full timing. It is very well built and very little wasted space at all. we don't want to slide so we were surprised to find one that was exactly the right floor plan

Liz

R4 and R3 would be more like it IMO.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

I like it! We were about to pull the trigger on a new 2018 Imagine last fall, right as the hurricane hit Houston. We were torn between an Imagine and a small Open Range. While we were trying to decide, the salesman pointed out that there were a lot of suddenly homeless people who were in need of temporary housing so we thought we'd wait and see what was left after those needs were met. Then, we found this 5th wheel and bought it instead. lol I'm glad we bought used though, because the longer we have this, the more I want to go back to a small TT. Like you, I don't want slides. We had an issue last week with water getting in under the slides while driving in rain. Plus, it's hard to pull over and eat lunch or take a nap when you have to move a slide.

We were impressed by the quality of the Grand Design and aren't they the ones that say theirs are made to be used by full timers? The salesman also said their roof system didn't leak and we saw a couple of used ones that had definitely had a leak. So typical salesman talk.

When we were looking, the only thing I didn't like about the Imagine 2150, was the bathroom location and the size of the door. It was a big sliding door, a 3-0 or close to it, and slider which kept sliding open while we were in it walking around. The dinette, the only seating, was next to the bathroom, and it was just too close. I like your back booth option better.

Have you looked at any in person yet?
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
I like it! We were about to pull the trigger on a new 2018 Imagine last fall...
Have you looked at any in person yet?
Hi, sorry about the delay I don't know why I didn't get a notice that someone had asked a question. Yes, I have seen them in person and we have changed our mind. We are going to get an Grand Design imagine XLS 19RLE.

The one thing I really wanted in my small trailer was rear windows, and was not been able to find one until now. This model has a U-shaped dinette in the back with windows all around it. I cannot wait! We will not be getting it until we come back from our California trip, because our little Fun Finder fits in our sons driveway LOL.

I have been extremely impressed not only with the quality of The Grand Design trailers, check out for instance the space between the drawers and the lack of unused and blocked in empty spaces, but I have had long conversations by email with a number of the manufacturer reps. They are very accessible even if you're only buying a little trailer.

I believe they are the company that makes the ones that are for full-time living, although I'm not sure these are. We will be living in it full time however. They also have a 3 year warranty which I have not seen anyone else have. And if you look at the diagrams for their construction, I believe they could have R40 and R30 as they say they do. They have a lot of fiberglass insulation, and then a layer of reflective insulation with the requisite air gap that actually makes it effective. Of course the thin little walls are only R7 LOL. But, in Texas a lot of the heat comes from the direct sun on the roof, so the overhead insulation should really help with this. In any case, it will be better insulated then my Fun Finder which has only a 5/8 inch plywood floor and nothing else. and that it hasn't even been a real problem, although we never really went a whole winter in it yet.

Liz
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Is it a single or double axle? Just curious because most trailes of that size are single axle, even Funfinders. I think Fundfinder stopped putting double axles in on that size (19 foot) in 2014.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Is it a single or double axle? Just curious because most trailes of that size are single axle, even Funfinders. I think Fundfinder stopped putting double axles in on that size (19 foot) in 2014.
These are the reasons that I am getting The Grand Design trailer. I have been looking for exactly these specifications for years.

A trailer under 25 feet, this one is only 23 1/2' I love my Fun Finder, but now that we are full-time it would be nice if my husband could stand up LOL

first, it's by Grand Design which is a very high-quality manufacturer. I am spoiled by the quality of the Fun Finder.

Windows at the back - this is important because we go to a lot of state parks and national parks where you back into a space and my poor little Fun Finder has no windows in the back. The GD Imagine 19RLE has three windows that wrap around and I will have a great view, especially on a local lake where you back in and have a great view over a cliff.

Tandem axles!

No slide!

High ceilings, my husband six-foot-three can stand up everywhere even under the air conditioner.

A 30 inch by 36 inch shower!

a roomy toilet we don't have to leave the door open to sit on LOL

A really nice walk-around Murphy bed that folds away and gives us a couch and lots of extra room during the day

Aluminum framing even under the dinette, not sure I really like that because it'll make it really hard for me to mod LOL

A skylight, in the living area, which I was actually thinking of adding a skylight to the Fun Finder.

Things that I wasn't looking for, but that are very nice are standard height counters, tons of storage, great insulation for a small trailer, Easy hookups for water & power and a switch to go from filling your water tank to running water through the taps, solar prep.

Oh! A bumper!!!!!! And a ladder to the roof, and it's a completely walkable roof but so is the Fun Finder.

I couldn't believe when I saw this model, and I still don't know how they fit it all into 23.5 feet

Of course, this is the first year they have come out with it so I'll have to buy it new just like I had to with the Fun Finder LOL.

Liz
Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #11

Default Did you get it?

Hi Liz,
Did you get the new trailer yet? I am thinking of the XLS as well. Would be nice to get some feedback from an owner... THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
These are the reasons that I am getting The Grand Design trailer. I have been looking for exactly these specifications for years.

A trailer under 25 feet, this one is only 23 1/2' I love my Fun Finder, but now that we are full-time it would be nice if my husband could stand up LOL

first, it's by Grand Design which is a very high-quality manufacturer. I am spoiled by the quality of the Fun Finder.

Windows at the back - this is important because we go to a lot of state parks and national parks where you back into a space and my poor little Fun Finder has no windows in the back. The GD Imagine 19RLE has three windows that wrap around and I will have a great view, especially on a local lake where you back in and have a great view over a cliff.

Tandem axles!

No slide!

High ceilings, my husband six-foot-three can stand up everywhere even under the air conditioner.

A 30 inch by 36 inch shower!

a roomy toilet we don't have to leave the door open to sit on LOL

A really nice walk-around Murphy bed that folds away and gives us a couch and lots of extra room during the day

Aluminum framing even under the dinette, not sure I really like that because it'll make it really hard for me to mod LOL

A skylight, in the living area, which I was actually thinking of adding a skylight to the Fun Finder.

Things that I wasn't looking for, but that are very nice are standard height counters, tons of storage, great insulation for a small trailer, Easy hookups for water & power and a switch to go from filling your water tank to running water through the taps, solar prep.

Oh! A bumper!!!!!! And a ladder to the roof, and it's a completely walkable roof but so is the Fun Finder.

I couldn't believe when I saw this model, and I still don't know how they fit it all into 23.5 feet

Of course, this is the first year they have come out with it so I'll have to buy it new just like I had to with the Fun Finder LOL.

Liz
essbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #12

Liz -- good news -- aluminum cabinet framing will not prevent you from making modifications. Aluminum is easy to drill into -- use a small drill bit and a very slow trigger speed. Once you drill into the aluminum, you can add pieces of wood for your mods!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Liz -- good news -- aluminum cabinet framing will not prevent you from making modifications. Aluminum is easy to drill into -- use a small drill bit and a very slow trigger speed. Once you drill into the aluminum, you can add pieces of wood for your mods!
Thanks profdant! That's good to know. all I did at this point was take the front off of the rear bench and replace it with Styrofoam insulation covered with contact paper. Now I can crawl under the table access the storage that is under the bench seat. It's a lot easier than trying to move everything off the seat and lift it LOL I'm not sure how many more years I can crawl into the table though hahaha

Liz
Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbase View Post
Hi Liz,
Did you get the new trailer yet? I am thinking of the XLS as well. Would be nice to get some feedback from an owner... THANKS
yes I did, and I love it. We have been full-time for about two months, I can't understand how they fit everything extra into only four more feet. It's amazing. I wish fun finder had continued making small no slide trailers. But since they didn't I am really happy with my Grand Design. I have sent you a PM with a lot more information. Since this isn't exactly a grand design forum LOL. The only real issue I've had is the emergency window leaks. It is obvious from the outside that wasn't installed correctly, but we didn't look very hard when we picked it up. I can't say anyting, every window in my fun finder leaked LOL since we kept it under cover I didn't know for years, so the warranty was up by the time I realized it and I had to take them all out and reseal them myself. So not a big deal, just annoying.

Liz