Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

Question Horseshoe sofa/dinette

I have a 2013 214WSD Funfinder with the horseshoe sofa/dinette, I want to remove the uncomfortable sofa/dinette & replace with jack knife sofa. Does anyone know what's behind the back of the sofa/dinette? I don't want to have to do a bunch of remolding when I take the sofa out
Thanks

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I have a 2013 214WSD Funfinder with the horseshoe sofa/dinette, I want to remove the uncomfortable sofa/dinette & replace with jack knife sofa. Does anyone know what's behind the back of the sofa/dinette? I don't want to have to do a bunch of remolding when I take the sofa out
Thanks
No issues removing it on our 2012. I took the entire dinette out and replaced it with two chairs with ottomans. Kept the original table top but changed out the posts for adjustable legs - The table can now be used inside or out. There were a few screw holes, but I found some small plastic caps at Home Depot that work great for covering/hiding them. If you keep the overhead light you'll need to do something with the wire that runs along the forward slide wall - I used some surface wire channel to cover it in ours. As you can see in the last picture, I also removed the side "boxes" on the window blinds. This made things look and feel much more open.

I don't have any of the finished project, but if you'd like I can take some tomorrow and upload them.

In the mean time, here a few pics from the removal:

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

I removed one of the jack knife sofas in my XT245 (to replace it with chairs as SWFL FlyFisher did). I found that the original folding sofa mounting brackets in the FunFinder are bolted in to captive nuts in the wall.

The walls on the XT245 have studs in place to stiffen the mounting points. I don't know if the 214WSD has similar construction. If your sofa mounts to the wall instead of the floor, I'd recommend using a stud finder to lay out the structure before tackling this. And, since the loads are fairly high, it would be wise to reinforce the wall around the mounts with a stiffener plate that spreads the wall load down to the floor.

(As an aside, two of the captive nuts in my wall had come loose from their bracket and removing the sofa was a chore but that's a story for another campfire.)
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Looks good. How about more pictures?

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Hi I like what you did on removal on your table setting what does your finish product look like thinking on doing the same on our fun finder trailer.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

I'll shoot some pics and upload them tomorrow after I get home from fishing...

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

As promised:

View from the entry doorway

View from in front of the refrigerator

Table Legs (they fold up allowing the table to be easily moved or stored and they're adjustable so it can be used with different chairs inside or out)

Cover for overhead light wires and the baseboard molding I installed

We're very pleased with the way the project turned out.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

That's nicely done I like your finish set up!
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #9

FlyFisher, by chance do you remember the brand of chairs you bought? I'm planning on doing the same conversion.
tbloesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #10

I replaced my dinette with a Lippert jackknife sofa. Storage underneath. Really comfortable & has fold down center section to use as a table with drink holders
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbloesch View Post
FlyFisher, by chance do you remember the brand of chairs you bought? I'm planning on doing the same conversion.

They were by Benchmaster. We paid $200 each for them at a local furniture store.

I can't find them at the same store any more, but here's a link that I found in a search so you can see which model: https://www.keamestudio.com/2017/12/...r-and-ottoman/

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 02-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL FlyFisher View Post
They were by Benchmaster. We paid $200 each for them at a local furniture store.

I can't find them at the same store any more, but here's a link that I found in a search so you can see which model: https://www.keamestudio.com/2017/12/...r-and-ottoman/
Thanks for the link. My wife and I were thinking about two recliners, but then saw this type of chair and thought they would work better. These will allow easier viewing of the TV, while giving a much less cluttered look. I'll do a little more searching for your chairs.
tbloesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
As promised:

View from the entry doorway

View from in front of the refrigerator

Table Legs (they fold up allowing the table to be easily moved or stored and they're adjustable so it can be used with different chairs inside or out)

Cover for overhead light wires and the baseboard molding I installed

We're very pleased with the way the project turned out.
I really like what you did. We find the factory benches around the table very uncomfortable after about 20 minutes. Since there are just the two of us, the alteration you made looks most inviting and with time available now due to the shutdown 0f everything, may just do the alteration.

Very nice
Old 06-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #14

I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing as SWFL FlyFisher.

I ordered and received two recliners yesterday for a cost of $280 each w/free shipping via Fed Ex to my door in about 4 days. Here is a link to the swivel recliners w/ottomans:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flash-Fur...0-41e10134bc11

They were easy to assemble, about 20 minutes each.

Found the same ones from other vendors but more $$$. At first was going to order from Wayfair but noticed once assembled, they would be non-returnable so that was out. I wanted to sit in them to be sure they were a fit and comfortable!

Today, I removed the horseshoe dinette. Tomorrow or so will get some trim to hide the red/white wire pair for the overhead light and some baseboard trim. Also have about 4 holes in the paneling I need to hide.

Since my unit had two 120 volt duplex outlets in the dinette base, will design a way to keep them live, but reasonably concealed as the junction box is floor mounted in the corner where the wires for the overhead light is located. Also need to build or locate a small table to put between the recliners.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #15

Finished the project.
Horseshoe dinette removed.
Purchased replacement trim (closely matches wall paneling) from Menards since factory replacement trim impossible to find.
Removed factory 120 V outlets and installed a single 4 outlet power strip.
Hid the red/white wired that feed juice to the overhead light same way as SWFL...found wire cover kit at Menards.
Installed the two comfy recliners.
Project complete and wife is happy. .... well thinks we should get satellite TV system now so have TV coverage anywhere....Dish system (roof mount) with Wally receiver.
One thing just leads to another.
LOL
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
No issues removing it on our 2012. I took the entire dinette out and replaced it with two chairs with ottomans. Kept the original table top but changed out the posts for adjustable legs - The table can now be used inside or out. There were a few screw holes, but I found some small plastic caps at Home Depot that work great for covering/hiding them. If you keep the overhead light you'll need to do something with the wire that runs along the forward slide wall - I used some surface wire channel to cover it in ours. As you can see in the last picture, I also removed the side "boxes" on the window blinds. This made things look and feel much more open.
Completed doing the same thing and new chairs are similar but no way have room for a table like you do.

The width of your slideout must be greater than on my unit. What is the width of your slideout?