Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Default I suspect this may affect my MPG, handling, and water use...

I was inside the trailer doing a dump/fill stop at a Flying J in Winslow, AZ (on my way to Wortham, TX) yesterday, when I hear a creak and a clunk, and go outside to find my fresh water tank like this...

After draining the tank out, I was able to move it back into position, and made use of some tie-downs that I had with me to make it a bit more secure.

I'll work on a more permanent fix when I've got the time. I'm just glad that it came unglued while I was stationary, rather than on the road. That would have been ugly.

As you can see, I've got one of those saggy belly fresh water tanks, which makes draining it (or accessing about half the water in it) pretty much impossible. I also noticed that it appears that I've got some creeping crud growing in there.

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with that?

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Glad you are ok. Would have been ugly it the trailer was moving. Wise of you to bring tie downs.

tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

Default Tank

The photo didn't show. Add baking soda to tank, drive around the lot to swish around let stand overnight , drain and refill. If you have visible crud you may need more treatments.
Can you put plywood under to reduce the sag?
Eric Giberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #4

Fortunate it happened when you were stopped.

As long as the tank is loose anyway, I'd remove it entirely and get it steam cleaned on the interior then use a bleach solution to be sure it's sanitized properly before installed it more securely than it had been.

Having tie down straps, rope, mechanics wire, duct tape, etc. along for those unplanned emergencies can be beneficial at times.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #5

Have you determined why it happened ?

Glad you caught it when you did !
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #6

Good thing it happend while you were stopped, It really doesn't surprise me that the tank fell off, i looked underneath our trailer and they are just hanging there with thin pieces of strapping, to me this is a flaw that Cruiser rv needs to look at, as well the sagging of the tanks, for such a decent build trailer they cheaped out on the cheap plastic holding tanks.
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics
Have you determined why it happened ?

Glad you caught it when you did !
I'm sure a bit was self-inflicted.

I had the water going in at a rather rapid pace. I was inside, adding black tank chemicals, etc. I incorrectly assumed that if the pressure got too great for the vent or intake to handle, it would just kick the hose out. Wrong. It stayed stuck in there, and I think it just kept expanding until it forced the tank out past the straps.

That said, I think the mounting set up is woefully inadequate, and will be working on something better when I slow down a bit. This week I'm south of Dallas (Wortham), and next weekend will be in Denver before heading to High Point, PA, the following weekend.

Here's a shot from last week's drive...

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote