Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #1

Default I'm becoming obsessed, I can feel it!

Today cleaned out the pop up we are trying to sell. Everything in the pop up fit in 1/5 of the cabinets in the little fun finder. lots of storage still empty, but I know the laws of physics, they will fill up.
today we weighed and then drove the fun finder on the hi way. no white knuckle moments. none.
out of habit, checked craigslist. there is a 2015 Rpod for $13,000, weighs around 2800#.
I am feeling lucky to have found an elegant, well built, well designed travel trailer that weighs only 2100# for a decent price.
It's been such a long effort to find a light, quality, affordable trailer. (because we can afford only used, so should be well built enough to "last")

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #2

And now comes the obsession with modifications. Don't ask me how I know this . . . .

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
And now comes the obsession with modifications. Don't ask me how I know this . . . .
I know how you know........
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

I believe I know....
mods are FUN!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #5

we are in the period of time with new ownership that we are addressing the glaring things. the bad calking, the dirty roof, seam that need repair. not huge problems yet, but need attention. once we sell other camper, get $$ we can start pouring i into the new one.
first thing I can see will need attention: making dinette into bed is exhausting. going to need to go to bed after wrestling with cushions and table legs.
we have yet to tackle opening awning. I really hope it is stable and easy. in NM we have winds and an awning needs to be easy to put away fast.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #6

In a way, having a camper is much like having a boat.

I have heard the following to define a boat:

1. A hole in the water into when one pours money.

2. But Only Another Thousand.

LOL LOL

I've yet to hear one for a camper tho.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Congratulations on your new camper. If you are like me, I spent three months modifying the thing before my wife and I took it on its maiden trip, then several months more of modifications to get it just right. Right now my camper is tucked away in Michigan while I'm basking in the Florida sun. It won't be until late May before we get back to Michigan to see how our trailer (and house) did over the winter. Hope both survived unscathed.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #8

right now, it seems pretty perfect. this is, I hope, the last in a long line of campers we have bought and sold. when we had kids at home, we had pop ups. then a couple of toyota motorhomes (or toys), didn't love. then we had a VW westfalia camper, which we did love. then our rialta (also VW) we still have that, and still love it. but it has 170,000 miles on it and we are not sure how far or long we should keep driving it. somewhere in there we had an Aliner also. all of these campers were vastly improved when we sold them.
But this camper has so much nice stuff packed into such a small space, I honestly can't think of anything to do...yet
ok, maybe something with the upper bunk, we'll see what grandkids think of sleeping up there. valances down, and different blinds are already happening, I guess that's a mod too.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #9

We've had our FF (214WSD) for about two months now. So far we've done four trips. Lots of maintenance before our trips and quite a few mods and upgrades between them. Here's what we've done so far:

• cleaned roof and slideout seams and resealed with Dicor and Surebond
• installed new blackwater tank vent (old was damaged and missing cap)
• installed new Equal-i-zer 10k WD/anti sway hitch
• four new Goodyear Endurance tires
• installed new gutter extensions (old were damaged/missing)
• installed new awning fabric, cleaned awning motor, new rivets on motor mount
• installed new latching external range hood vent
• rebedded mounts for foldout entry handle
• new weather station clock with indoor and outdoor temp/humidity sensors
• repaired opening under shower drain (wire mesh, spray foam)
• installed heavy duty magnetic door stop/catch for bathroom door
• installed 12v fan in bedroom
• added battery LED lights in pantry and bathroom
• installed hypervent under mattress
• new power cordset, and 50-30amp and 15-30amp adapters
• new freshwater hose
• new high flow water pressure regulator
• removed, cleaned and sanitized fresh water tank, relocated fittings to allow full use of capacity
• cleaned and repainted tank mounts
• cleaned and renewed fresh water pump and filter, replaced all wiring connections
• renewed/rebedded water tank fill and cable TV inlet
• flushed and cleaned water heater, treated rust spots with converter
• installed new 4500lb power tongue jack with remote (replaced manual jack)
• replaced old battery connections with adhesive lined heat-shrink crimp connectors/terminals
• cleaned and repainted tongue, cold galvanized safety chains
• repaired damaged rear bumper to allow for sewage hose storage and added tethered cap
• built bumper mount for Magma kettle grill
• installed new outdoor shower (and new supply lines for better fit)
• installed new outside speakers
• installed flip up stove cover
• installed new stainless kitchen faucet
• removed/renewed kitchen sinks and rebedded/sealed
• installed undersink filter system with dedicated drinking water faucet (incl. shutoff valve)
• installed new Maxxair vent covers and new gaskets on front and rear roof vents
• removed complete dinette and replaced with reclining chairs with ottomans
• installed surface mount wire channel to hide wiring for slideout light
• changed table from fixed mount to portable with folding legs and adjustable height
• created add-on shade panel (slides onto awning roller)
• installed new baseboard in slideout
• covered all screw holes with nylon covers
• rewired propane alarm
• installed new fire extinguisher and smoke and CO detectors
• installed outside level indicators
• installed new Samsung TV
• built 25’ TV antenna (telescoping) with rear bumper mount and under bumper storage/travel tube
• removed side valances on interior window shades (custom spacers and covered all screw holes)
• new camp chairs
• new screen room
• new “porch” mats
• new 19” propane fire pit

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

that is a lot to accomplish! some of that we are doing right now, like the cleaning and resealing the edges of the roof.
I do need a new kitchen faucet too. we are thinking of better window treatments, ones that cover less of the top of the window.
we have a magma marine grill too! will be installing that somewhere. have already added little touches to kitchen, spice rack, magnetic knife holder. I suppose I'd like to get a fantastic fan sometime, ours doesn't have one.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #11

If you like it dark when sleeping, you may be surprised how much light enters the windows in campground thru the factory shades.

I found some new insulated drapes on sale (color coordinated to interior) and cut them to fit individual windows (slightly larger than the glass), fastened with velcro so easy to install when going to bed for the night & remove in the morning.
They block out all light from the campground street lights & other sources.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

I really like your idea, may I steal it? I can immediately see many advantages to this!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
I really like your idea, may I steal it? I can immediately see many advantages to this!
Be my guest.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
that is a lot to accomplish! some of that we are doing right now, like the cleaning and resealing the edges of the roof.
I do need a new kitchen faucet too. we are thinking of better window treatments, ones that cover less of the top of the window.
we have a magma marine grill too! will be installing that somewhere. have already added little touches to kitchen, spice rack, magnetic knife holder. I suppose I'd like to get a fantastic fan sometime, ours doesn't have one.
Install Maxx MaxxAir vent covers if not already done, they are awesome. The Magma marine grills are great products as I have one and it is great. Great choice on the fantastic fan as well , they work great. Silverado
Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #15

Smile

Like some of the other posts our trailer(2015 FF 210uds ) was new and I still worked on it for months before we used it. Moved spare tire from bumper to underneath trailer
Added 4 storage compartments to rear bumper
2" rear receiver hitch
Magnetic door catch for exterior door
Adjustable table folds up in rear bumper
LED lights in side
Back up LED lights on rear bumper
Modified dinette table and added storage
Installed MaxxAir vent covers
New 20 lb propane bottles with gauges
Removable rock guards on front of trailer
Replaced entry steps from 2 steps to 3 steps
Removed decals front and back
Sealed holes in the floor for wiring and water hoses
Insulated front area behind fiberglass cap
Installed storage racks in front wardrobes for clothes
Built a stove cover to extend counter space
Increased storage under bathroom vanity and fridge
Built an Oak shelf for outside TV mount
Insulated outside speakers from the interior
Built and installed foot pads for electric stabilizers
Installed a storage mount for fire pit grill.
Built a wooden step for under the entry steps if there is a slope in the site

My wife thought I was nuts for the extra work but I enjoy doing it. Now that it is done she enjoys and appreciates the added storage and conveniences. I am sure I am forgetting something else I have done. So welcome to the club.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
When I ordered my toy hauler, I ordered it with the Fantastic Fan at the recommendation of the selling dealer. It's located over the front bed area.

It does a nice job but I also installed a wall fan on the wall at the foot of the bed. Actually we use it more than the vent fan to move air in the camper. It has 3 speeds, oscillates and has a remote controlbut the big, big plus is it's super quiet!

Available here and other places too ~ have one that is very similar to this, different brand tho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18225428327...270&rmvSB=true

An added advantage is the wall fan can be used when it's raining or hot/cold outside whereas the ceiling vent fan may not sometimes.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #17

Eagles post reminded me of my Ridgid Hybrid fan I use camping. 18 volt battery and 110 volt, your choice. Like wise on Super quiet. Runs 40 plus hrs on a 4 mha battery on low. I use it outside as well and it mounts anywhere.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #18

Silverado, how did you insulate under the fiberglass cap? It does not come off, does it??
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #19

In a few words, with great difficulty. I pulled the inner panelling inside the 2 side wardrobes and overhead cabinets. Fished , pushed and pulled the aluminum foil insulation in from the top. If I ever have to have the front cap off I will spray foam it. This is not a perfect fix but is better than the flimsy fiberglass batting from the factory. I have noticed a difference in both heat and cold. Silverado