Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Default Is it a bad idea to keep your trailer plugged up

I keep this xt-276 plugged in next to my garage , is that a bad idea , will it over charge the battery on it ?

securityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Securityman: I keep mine plugged in all the time too.
You will not overcharge the battery and it saves having to unload and re-load the fridge all the time. Not to mention the mold and mildew that can gather in the fridge etc if you do not keep it cold all the time.

It also allows me to use the unit as a guesthouse when we have company over for the weekend!

russ

1959 Mooney M20A
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Site Team

It depends. What converter do you have? The newer WFCO models have a 'float' mode that's essentially a battery maintainer so you can leave it plugged in indefinitely. That's what I do.

Older models didn't have this feature and could overcharge the batteries.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

I have a TT since 1992 and have always kept them plugged in all year round. I live in eastern PA and I leave plugged in all winter and I do not remove the battery in the winter either and never have had a problem.
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi
Palmerton Pa
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

OK , sounds good , so I should be fine right I got a 2013 xt 276 toy hauler , so I should have the new converter ?? I don't keep my refig. on its off with the doors cracked open to let air in , is it better just to leave it on all the time , I was scared if I did that , it might last that long , since these trailers are not really meant to be lived in all year leaving stuff like that on?? This is my 1st trailer so I am learning new things about them , and the right way to keep them working well.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Site Team

If you have a 2013 model you should have the converter with the trickle charge mode, so just leave it plugged in. That will keep your battery fully charged for the next time your ready to go camping. Turn everything else off including the fridge. And leave it just as you have with the door cracked a bit.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

I have mine plugged in when home and let the converter 'float mode' keep the battery fully charged with the battery disconnect switch pulled out so the battery will take a charge.

I turn the frig off and used the little blue plastic clips that came with the unit to hold the frig & freezer doors open a bit so the air can ciruculate and no mold/smell develops.

It will go into a cold storage building this winter so I will remove the battery. The battery will go on a 'float charger' at home on so it's all charged and ready to re-install in the spring.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #8

Hey eagle , yea I use the blue clips also , your lucky you got a indoor shelter for your rv!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityman
Hey eagle , yea I use the blue clips also , your lucky you got a indoor shelter for your rv!!!!
I did not want to let the unit outside all winter in the cold and snow. Yup, it snows here in the winter as acouple year ago, near 100 inches and the temps can often reach -20 or more.

My options were to purchase a cover and fill the driveway with the unit (great snow blocker causing insurmountable snow drifts) or rent space in a storage yard ($30 a month @ 1 year minimum) or lucky me ~ found an indoor cold storage building for $30 a month from Oct. to end of March. Not free inside storage but the cost was acceptable for the protection afforded in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #10

Eagle: Indoor storage for $30 bucks a month? Wow you are lucky.
If you can get indoor storage here it is over $150 a month for most units.

Thats an amazing deal.
1959 Mooney M20A
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

Russ,

Yes, I was super pleased to learn of it. The County has buildings at the County Fairgrounds that sit unused all winter. They rent RV storage space in them during the winter months to generate some revenue.

The price is very acceptable and it's a space available, reservation only basis.

The only down side is once the RV is put into storage, you do NOT have access to it until the spring.

Storage runs from Mid September to mid March.... 6 months for $180 payable when leasing the storage space.

So one must be sure they have the unit winterized and any/all items removed BEFORE it goes to storage. Not a bid deal for most tho.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
It depends. What converter do you have? The newer WFCO models have a 'float' mode that's essentially a battery maintainer so you can leave it plugged in indefinitely. That's what I do.

Older models didn't have this feature and could overcharge the batteries.
I have what some might consider an "older model". It's a 2007 FF Shadow Cruiser X-210. I haven't had it for more than 2 weeks yet, so I'm still learning about the "features". I was reading thru the installation/user guide for the WFCO model WF 8945 AN that is installed in my TT. The manual describes both the battery charging function and the "float mode" function that is automatically activated after 48 hours of no detectable load. Does this amount to a "trickle" charger for the battery if the unit is kept plugged in to shore power while in the driveway awaiting the next adventure?
RE: winter storage: I have access to Winter storage in a neighbor's barn (about 3 miles out of town). It's not heated and I'm not sure if he'll let me keep it plugged in while stored. He charges $25/month (usually mid Oct thru mid Apr). Apparently a great price! An added bonus is that the TT would be accessible (with reasonable notice) if the opportunity for a trip arose in the dead of Winter. In the event that power is not available (most likely) I'll just do the standard winterizing drill and keep the battery at home on a trickle charger. I have another battery issue but I'll save that for a different post (either new or reply). Later, Ripvan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #13

I believe there is a difference between "trickle" and "float" mode.

A trickle charger puts a change into the batter all the time and can, possibly, overcharge the battery.

A float mode is like a maintenance mode where the battery is only charged IF there is a need to bring it up to full charge....and will never overcharge the battery.

I have a battery maintainer that is used on by camper battery and motorcycle batteries during the winter months when they are not in use. The 'maintainer' simply maintains a full charge in the battery but will not overcharge the battery.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

It seems then, that the best way to keep the TT battery "ready for action" during the camping season would be to keep the TT plugged in to shore power. If the seasonal parking spot isn't near a power source then bringing the battery home and using a "maintainer". Sounds like a trickle charger is only appropriate if you want to slowly charge a battery and manually take it off when charging is complete. RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #15

This is from a company that makes/sells battery maintainers. It has a very good (somewhat technical) explaination on battery chargers/maintainers.

http://batterytender.com/resources/float-charging.htm/
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #16

Default condor cycle cocks

how can I fasten the condors to the tie down hooks as I don't want to drill holes in the floor
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #17

Default condor cycle cocks

how can I fasten the condors to the tie down hooks as I don't want to drill holes in the floor
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 AM   #18

Default Condors??

dberg, you might need to start a new topic, rather than replying to an old one -- and what is a condor??
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #19

Default Re: condor cycle cocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberg
I bolted my Condor Wheel Chock trailer quick release mount to the floor. Then mounted to actual wheel chock to the mount. Easy quick removal when not needed ~ which hasn't happened.

See here:

http://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Motorcy...=condor+chocks
Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #20

eagle
did the quick connects that you install to the floor bolt into the frame or just through the plywood? I currently use the in my MC trailer but have just upgraded to a XT-330