Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Check your fire extinguishers! On November 2nd the US Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a recall for certain models of Kidde fire extinguishers dating back to 1973.
If your's is affected by the recall Kidde will replace it.
Information is available here:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...-discharge-and

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Thanks LJAZ. I'm not sure if mine is on the recall list so I tried to call this morning. Evidently a high call volume and the call goes to India. I was told to call back later.

It's kind of strange too. When their automated greeting first started, it said I was selected to receive a $100 Walmart gift card. I figured it was some kind of sales pitch, so I waited for the spiel about press 1 for this, 2 for that and after a few seconds, it said press any button to talk to someone about the gift card. So I guess this phone number was set up just to deal with the recall.

I tried to call back an hour later and again got a message. This time they called it a $100 rebate IF you sign up for something. Still didn't get to talk to anyone about the extinquisher. But on another website, the exact model number for my extinquisher was listed.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Marti,

I didn't bother trying to call. There was a link directly to Kidde's recall page on the CPSC site but now it just takes you to Kidde's home page, so now there's an extra click to get to the recall page. Which is here:
https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

That page has directions on how to determine if you're fire extinguishers are affected and a link to submit your claim. You'll need to enter the model and serial number.
When I entered the numbers for mine the site said both the one in my trailer and the one we keep in the sticks & bricks kitchen were subject to the recall. Then I entered my name & address and got a response that new fire extinguishers would be sent to me in 2-3 weeks along with instruction on how to return the recalled ones.

You might want to give that a try.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

We received an email from Amazon today saying the extinguisher we bought to replace the one in our RV May be part of the recall. We will check it out later today since it is still parked here.
Thanks for the info.
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #5

https://www.google.com/amp/fox13now....-failures/amp/
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Check your model number on both the US list and the Canada list. A lot of US RV manufacturers buy materials from Canada. My extinguisher is on the Canadian list.

LJAZ, I tried to do it online, but since my model number doesn't show up on the US list, I couldn't complete it. And since I don't have a Canada address, I couldn't do it online that way. So I had to call.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Check your model number on both the US list and the Canada list. A lot of US RV manufacturers buy materials from Canada. My extinguisher is on the Canadian list.

LJAZ, I tried to do it online, but since my model number doesn't show up on the US list, I couldn't complete it. And since I don't have a Canada address, I couldn't do it online that way. So I had to call.

Living as far from the Canadian border as I do I didn't even think about the cross border issue. Hopefully you'll be able to get through.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #8

LJAZ ~ this is a GREAT STICKY!

I checked the one kept in the house lower level and it's on the recall list. Also the one kept in the pickup. Entered info on both on the recall site and new extinguishers will be shipped direct in about 10 days.

The Kiddie Halon 'Force-9' extinguisher kept in the kitchen is not on the recall listing. The Halon is nice because it suffocates the fire and it's not that white powder that is near impossible to cleanup....& great for a vehicle engine compartment fire too.

The XT 276 is in winter storage & unable to access/check those until spring and will do so then. One is factory installed by the front door that came with the toy hauler and the other I purchase/installed in the garage area.

Thanks for the info
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

I finally got through today and thought I'd post in case others have the same problem.

The first time I got through to a person, she said she couldn't find my number in the system. Not to be unkind, but from the way she talked, she didn't seem very intelligent. I told her it was on the Canadian list and she said she couldn't back out of her system to get to those model numbers and I would have to call back and start over.

So I called back and the next woman I talked to said I had to call a Canadian number and she gave me that number.

So I called that number and there was a message that everyone was busy and I had to leave my name and number and I would be called back in the order it was received. So I did, and never heard back.

So I called them back and was told that I had to go through the US number.

Last call and I was just going to toss the extinguisher and forget it. But today I got through, told the girl that I was in the US with an extinguisher with a Canadian number, and she said no problem, found the model number, filled out and submitted my claim, and done. All in about 3 minutes.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Marti

Glad you finally got it sorted out. I guess I'm not surprised they are having some pains with this. They are recalling almost 4 million extinguishers, some dating back as far as 1973! (Really, who would keep a fire extinguisher for 43 years and expect it to still work?!) So they probably had to hire a bunch of new people just to handle this.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #11

As a side note: I still have the fire extinguisher my Dad bought in the late '40's; nearly 70 years ago.

It is a Randolph '15' that stands about 3 feet high and has never been used. They are a CO2 extinguisher and have no 'pressure' gauge. I've no idea if it would still work but keep it in the garage ~ along with two much newer extinguishers.

Here is a picture of one for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ran...4AAOSwX8RZ47li

In a few more years, it will be an official antique!
Old 11-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
As a side note: I still have the fire extinguisher my Dad bought in the late '40's; nearly 70 years ago.

It is a Randolph '15' that stands about 3 feet high and has never been used. They are a CO2 extinguisher and have no 'pressure' gauge. I've no idea if it would still work but keep it in the garage ~ along with two much newer extinguishers.

Here is a picture of one for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ran...4AAOSwX8RZ47li

In a few more years, it will be an official antique!
Interesting. That one is advertised as 'used' maybe you could sell yours as 'like new'
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Interesting. That one is advertised as 'used' maybe you could sell yours as 'like new'
*chortle!*
Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Site Team

The replacement for the trailer extinguisher arrived yesterday, so 2 weeks from the time I put in the claim. It's a bit shorter & wider than the old one so I'll probably have to replace the mount. But the handle and nozzle are metal! Now just waiting on the one for the house.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #15

I filed my claim on 11/08/17. The replacements were to be shipped directly to my home and arrive in about 10 days.

Today is 11/29/17.

21 days have passed and no replacements received.

What has been your experience on time to receive replacements?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
Site Team

I put my claim in for 2 fire extinguishers at the same time. I got the one for the trailer within 2 weeks. I'm still waiting on the one for the house and it's now been a month. It's bigger than the one that was in the trailer although I'm not sure if that makes any difference. They are probably just slammed with requests and given that it's now holiday shipping season....
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #17

Thanks LJAZ.

I'll give them another week, then call their phone number with an inquiry unless they arrive.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #18

UPDATE:

The smaller of the two submitted for recall arrived yesterday and assume the other will be on the way soon.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #19

The 2nd replacement for the recalled fire extinguisher arrived yesterday and the recalled one has been shipped back to Kiddie.

When I get my XT276 our of winter storage in the spring, I will check the two in the camper to see if they are in the recall for replacement.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #20

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/