Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Labor Day and new tow vehicle

Labor Day camping in the dry mountains of Southern California. Our first trip with the new tow vehicle. Needless to say, the Ram Ecodiesel pulled our little trailer much easier that the former Toyota 4Runner (V.

Note to Neil and Yoly if you still read FF forum: Yes, we bought the Ram even with the pros and cons you so thoroughly laid out.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Valley Lake 8-2016.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	303

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Nice! I bet you could barely tell you were towing.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Nicely matched! We could use something bigger too, but not in the cards for us. Luckily only hills here, not mountains.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunfinder View Post
Labor Day camping in the dry mountains of Southern California. Our first trip with the new tow vehicle. Needless to say, the Ram Ecodiesel pulled our little trailer much easier that the former Toyota 4Runner (V.

Note to Neil and Yoly if you still read FF forum: Yes, we bought the Ram even with the pros and cons you so thoroughly laid out.)

Attachment 303
Congrats on the new Eco. It certainly had no issues pulling the fully loaded 214 WSD that we had. I was always amazed at how it seemed to be tailor-made for that task. The pros and con breakdown always favored the Eco in my opinion when it came to pulling the trailer. After selling the 214 WSD, I just didn't feel the need for it. I had never owned a diesel before and discovered that I'm just not a diesel guy at heart. The technology with the complicated emission systems was more than I wanted to deal with in the long term.

For what its worth, we've gone in a new direction now

Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

I can say, I'm certainly pleased with my Ram 2500 6.4 hemi for pulling my XT276 over the previous Ram 1500 w/5.4 hemi
Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I can say, I'm certainly pleased with my Ram 2500 6.4 hemi for pulling my XT276 over the previous Ram 1500 w/5.4 hemi
I haven't towed anything with our new 3/4 ton but I can imagine what a difference it would be over the 1/2 ton. We got a great deal on the 2500 but had to downgrade from a Bighorn to a Tradesman in order to move up as we did. That being the case, I was initially worried that I wouldn't be satisfied with the spartan trim level but both of us really like everything about the new truck and we were surprised at how compliant the ride is after reading for years how rough the 3/4 ton trucks ride. I guess the newish 5 link rear suspension with coil springs helps the 3/4 ton as it does the 1/2 ton equivalent.

We had originally purchased the TravelLite 770R truck camper for our 1500 and found it much too heavy for the 1/2 ton, even with the added air-springs (400 lbs over the GVWR). It was a strange feeling driving the truck and it wasn't a good strange ! Driving the 3/4 ton with the new camper is a breeze .... so much more secure.

The biggest difference between the Fun Finder and the truck camper is the distinct lack of storage compared to the trailer. Our new 2500 is a Crew Cab (always had Quad Cabs before) and I'm going to remove the back seat and use all the space for storage when we travel .... it's ginormous back there

Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly View Post
Congrats on the new Eco. It certainly had no issues pulling the fully loaded 214 WSD that we had. I was always amazed at how it seemed to be tailor-made for that task. The pros and con breakdown always favored the Eco in my opinion when it came to pulling the trailer. After selling the 214 WSD, I just didn't feel the need for it. I had never owned a diesel before and discovered that I'm just not a diesel guy at heart. The technology with the complicated emission systems was more than I wanted to deal with in the long term.

For what its worth, we've gone in a new direction now

Hi Neil
Glad to hear from you. We are currently hiking in Germany, so all our travels are not just with our beloved little Fun Finder. Great that you have some of the comforts back again (toilet, sink, stove, etc.) With yhe truck camper. But I am sure there are times you feel a little cramped compared with ol' Heart of Gold.
Jamie
Old 09-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi Neil
Glad to hear from you. We are currently hiking in Germany, so all our travels are not just with our beloved little Fun Finder. Great that you have some of the comforts back again (toilet, sink, stove, etc.) With the truck camper. But I am sure there are times you feel a little cramped compared with ol' Heart of Gold.
Jamie
Hey Jamie,

Hiking in Germany are you ? What an adventurer. I was stationed in Butzbach (about 28 km south of Frankfurt) in the 60s when I was in the Army and have fond memories of the place. Not much hiking but a lot of field maneuvers I bought a rail pass when I was there and went to the surrounding areas (Switzerland and Belgium).

We still haven't had a chance to camp in our new camper. The summer was too hot (and humid) to camp locally anywhere and we're saving up for the Canadian Tour next summer. We have friends visiting us from Equador at the moment but as soon as they go back we're going to start hitting some of the surrounding waterfalls. There is one county in western NC (Transylvania) not too far from us, that has 250 waterfalls !

The truck camper is very minimalistic (in every way). Not much storage or room to move around, but this is offset by other attributes and virtues Both Yoly and I absolutely loved The Heart of Gold. The 214 WSD was the perfect floor plan for us and was so great in many ways .... if only it hadn't been assembled by drunk chimpanzees and if only we had a good dealer to deal with all the warranty work it needed. Win some and loose some I guess.

When we first bought the Travel Lite 770R truck camper we left the dealership and stopped for dinner in a nearby small town. I passed the restaurant so I made a U-turn in the street and parked in front of the restaurant in a normal parking space ..... try that with a Fun Finder

It's 1 AM here and I just came in from laying in the camper imagining what it will be like when we finally get on the road next summer It's been a very boring year. Our winter travel was cancelled due to Yoly's eye surgery and then our June trip to Colorado was cancelled 5 days before departure when Yoly hurt her back. We've actually only camped twice this whole year !!!

Have a great time in Germany .... looks like you'll be there for Oktoberfest .... good planning (I'm thinking of the Chevy Chase European Vacation movie)

Old 09-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Hey Jamie,

Hiking in Germany are you ? What an adventurer. I was stationed in Butzbach (about 28 km south of Frankfurt) in the 60s when I was in the Army and have fond memories of the place. Not much hiking but a lot of field maneuvers I bought a rail pass when I was there and went to the surrounding areas (Switzerland and Belgium).

We still haven't had a chance to camp in our new camper. The summer was too hot (and humid) to camp locally anywhere and we're saving up for the Canadian Tour next summer. We have friends visiting us from Equador at the moment but as soon as they go back we're going to start hitting some of the surrounding waterfalls. There is one county in western NC (Transylvania) not too far from us, that has 250 waterfalls !

The truck camper is very minimalistic (in every way). Not much storage or room to move around, but this is offset by other attributes and virtues Both Yoly and I absolutely loved The Heart of Gold. The 214 WSD was the perfect floor plan for us and was so great in many ways .... if only it hadn't been assembled by drunk chimpanzees and if only we had a good dealer to deal with all the warranty work it needed. Win some and loose some I guess.

When we first bought the Travel Lite 770R truck camper we left the dealership and stopped for dinner in a nearby small town. I passed the restaurant so I made a U-turn in the street and parked in front of the restaurant in a normal parking space ..... try that with a Fun Finder

It's 1 AM here and I just came in from laying in the camper imagining what it will be like when we finally get on the road next summer It's been a very boring year. Our winter travel was cancelled due to Yoly's eye surgery and then our June trip to Colorado was cancelled 5 days before departure when Yoly hurt her back. We've actually only camped twice this whole year !!!

Have a great time in Germany .... looks like you'll be there for Oktoberfest .... good planning (I'm thinking of the Chevy Chase European Vacation movie)
We know where Butzbach is and coincidentally drove right past there on the A-5 Autobahn at around 8 pm last night. This was on our way back "home" from hiking for a week in a forested hilly area in central Germany called the Teutoburg Forest. "Home" is where my wife grew up before we married and moved to CA (42 yrs ago).

Friends of ours who had a motor home when we last camped with them, recently shifted to a Ford F350 dually and a 12' Lance truck camper. This thing is giant with one drivers side slide and a rear slide which must be extended to enter the camper through its curbside entry door...I don't get it....
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Friends of ours who had a motor home when we last camped with them, recently shifted to a Ford F350 dually and a 12' Lance truck camper. This thing is giant with one drivers side slide and a rear slide which must be extended to enter the camper through its curbside entry door...I don't get it....
I'm convinced that the people who design these things have never used one themselves. The first Fun Finder we looked at didn't give you access to the refrigerator with the slide in ... that's why we gravitated to the 214

Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Hey Eagle,

Maybe you can shed some light on this for me ... I'm assuming that your 6.4L Hemi has MDS ? If so, I'm wondering if you can tell when it's active or not. I cannot detect any difference in ours what so ever. No difference in sound or feel.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Hey Eagle,

Maybe you can shed some light on this for me ... I'm assuming that your 6.4L Hemi has MDS ? If so, I'm wondering if you can tell when it's active or not. I cannot detect any difference in ours what so ever. No difference in sound or feel.
Hi there and congrats on your new unit(s).

Yes, my 6.4 Hemi has MDS and yes, I can tell when it's active as I can notice a very slight engine 'flutter' type sensation. Perhaps this is due to my heightened sensibility from my early years as a certified master mechanic.

BTW, I acquired my 2014 Ram with about 22,000 miles off the internet from a Pennsylvania dealer, some 1200 miles away and had it shipped to my door.
As such, it cost me about $8,000 less than buying locally where there were no late model 4x4 2500's with gas motor and nearly all were well over 50,000 miles and all were diesel. So, I believe I got a good deal and, like you, didn't want a diesel.

As for ride, it does ride harsher than my previous Ram 1500 4x4 (rode like a car) but about the same as an old '94 2500 4x4 w/V10. Although my V-10 got better mileage....consistently 18 MPH on the highway at 80 MPH.

Pulling my loaded XT 276 w/2 Harley's in the garage, get about 10 mpg with the 6.4 Hemi. I had thought it would do better but it is what it is.

Overall, pleased with the Ram.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi there and congrats on your new unit(s).

Yes, my 6.4 Hemi has MDS and yes, I can tell when it's active as I can notice a very slight engine 'flutter' type sensation. Perhaps this is due to my heightened sensibility from my early years as a certified master mechanic.

BTW, I acquired my 2014 Ram with about 22,000 miles off the internet from a Pennsylvania dealer, some 1200 miles away and had it shipped to my door.
As such, it cost me about $8,000 less than buying locally where there were no late model 4x4 2500's with gas motor and nearly all were well over 50,000 miles and all were diesel. So, I believe I got a good deal and, like you, didn't want a diesel.

As for ride, it does ride harsher than my previous Ram 1500 4x4 (rode like a car) but about the same as an old '94 2500 4x4 w/V10. Although my V-10 got better mileage....consistently 18 MPH on the highway at 80 MPH.

Pulling my loaded XT 276 w/2 Harley's in the garage, get about 10 mpg with the 6.4 Hemi. I had thought it would do better but it is what it is.

Overall, pleased with the Ram.
The best I've seen at 70 mph (cruise control, running empty) on level freeway was 18.0 mpg. Just did a 30 mile round trip to Costco and back at 35 to 65 mph, running as gently as I could and saw 15.2 mpg arriving home. I too was hoping for better but as long as gas prices don't do anything too radical in the near future, we can live with this. I love the truck even though it's just in Tradesman trim level.

I've been around engines all my life. I'm a retired Honda engineer and have been on 3 National Championship race teams (car & motorcycle). Still can't detect MDS at all. I see the mpg on the EVIC drop 2/10s sitting at a traffic light. I would think that idling, it would be in 4 cylinder mode.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #14

"The best I've seen at 70 mph (cruise control, running empty) on level freeway was 18.0 mpg"

Yup ~ best I've got on a 200 mile round trip run, empty, at 70 MPH on cruise, mostly 2 lane highway has been 18.0 too.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

Our Eco Diesel in those conditions used to be 26.3 mpg Then again, the 3.0 L displacement is less than half the size of our Hemis. That being the case, it's amazing that the little Eco makes the same amount of torque as the Hemi. There's a lot to be said for the Eco Diesel ... it was smooth, quiet and efficient. It's too bad the EPA has saddled it with emission standards requiring such complex and suspect emission systems. The high pressure injection system required also presents it's own set of issues (long term).

When ever I feel bad about spending more on gas for the gas engine, I remind myself that the premium up front for the diesel ($4,800 in the 1500 and about $6,800 in the 2500) offsets the diesel savings advantage for about 8 years (depending how much you use the truck).

Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

Diesels are known for having greater torque than a gas engine. However, like you say, the systems and maintenance is different. In this area where winter temps drop to well below zero, without engine heaters (cost to run) they are noted not to start, the fuel filters plug up with wax from diesel, etc.

I recall several years ago when we had alot of snow, visited with a dealership salesman who commented they just moved all the vehicles again for snow removal from the sales lot. I asked "Did they all start?" He responded: "All but the diesels!" LOL

Of course the big thing is the initial cost increase of the diesel engine above the gas engine so one can drive alot of miles and years for the difference. That plus I don't like the smell of diesel, never did even tho I had a job for a about 4 years delivering it.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #17

On the Eco Diesel Forum, the Canadians have many more issues than the owners in the US ... largely due to cold temps.

Almost every time I pumped diesel, the nozzle would leak and I'd get diesel on my hand. I'd go in to the restroom and wash my hands with soap, come out and my hand would still smell like diesel. Didn't care for it either. I also didn't like having to hunt for the lone diesel pump on one of a half dozen pump islands (sometimes).

Needless to say, I hope Jaime has nothing but high praise for his new Eco. I'd be interested in hearing his impressions after he travels a couple thousand miles with the Fun Finder. It sure pulls nice and rides comfortably ... that's for sure .... and 30 mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at either !

Old 09-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #18

Yes, the diesel nozzel is usually stained dark from leaking diesel fuel. As for getting it on your hands, simple washing seldom removed the 'aroma' and same for clothes.

We had some product in a spray can that did eliminate the aroma at the oil bulk plant ... but don't recall the name of it. After all, that was in the early 45 ? years ago.

Happy travels.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #19

Ahh. I love the aroma of fresh diesel fuel.... so much nicer than gas.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #20

What planet are you from?! Diesel ranks right up there with skunk in my book!