Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Default Looking at different tow vehicle.

It's a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6 l. With an Allison 6 speed transmission. diesel work truck. It's really clean, one owner, starts right up and sounds good, no smoke.
There is no visible rust on it. The interior is clean with good leather seats.
It has about 185,000 miles on it. It is a 2 wheel drive with towing hook ups on it and a simple cap. Clean Carfax.
We have looked around and it seems to be a fair price here in Michigan.

What is your feeling about this truck? We are taking it to our mechanic on Monday to have it checked out.

Realtime Video

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

How does it ride on the Highway? Give it a good test drive before you purchase it. You must be planning on buying a much bigger trailer since this is a 2500 diesel. What are you thinking about getting?

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
How does it ride on the Highway? Give it a good test drive before you purchase it. You must be planning on buying a much bigger trailer since this is a 2500 diesel. What are you thinking about getting?
It rode great, but Monday we will be driving it about 50 miles from Cadillac to Manistee for the inspection and back to Cadillac. So that will be a good road test.
They are even buying the gas for us to do that even though we told them we would buy it.
We are planning for the future. We intend to sell the house, motorcycles, snowmobile and boat and most of our household items and become full time RVers. We are checking out different brands of trailers and will stay at 30' or under so we can camp more places. I like the Grand Design Imagines and the Winnebago Minnie Plus layouts and interiors. May consider a bunk model since we have three dogs and two cats. Last time we were full timers we had a washer dryer. I liked that.
I think someone here has s 2500.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

About 11 years old and no rust in Michigan? Wow, must have been stored inside every winter for all the salt they dump on the roads. LOL That is alot of miles but if well cared for, many seem to rack up alot of them.

I have a Ram 2500 w the big 410 HP hemi and it does a grand job pulling my 30' XT 276.....like it's not even back there.

Hope it all checks out good with your mechanic.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
About 11 years old and no rust in Michigan? Wow, must have been stored inside every winter for all the salt they dump on the roads. LOL That is alot of miles but if well cared for, many seem to rack up alot of them.

I have a Ram 2500 w the big 410 HP hemi and it does a grand job pulling my 30' XT 276.....like it's not even back there.

Hope it all checks out good with your mechanic.
There is a video showing the truck in my original post.

I know your truck has a different engine but what kind of mileage do you get pulling your trailer?
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

That truck does look to be in fine condition. Is there a service record for it?

Sadly, we didn't do much camping last summer due to wife's health issues. An early run to Pipestone MN and a run to the Black Hills of SD. IIRC the pickup got around 11 - 12 MPG but the pulling power was awesome and very noticeable improvement in stability over the previous Ram 1500 w/5.7 Hemi. With the 1500 you knew you were pulling but with the 2500, like nothing behind you.

PS: They use salt here now like they did in Mich. when there in the mid 80's
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
That truck does look to be in fine condition. Is there a service record for it?

Sadly, we didn't do much camping last summer due to wife's health issues. An early run to Pipestone MN and a run to the Black Hills of SD. IIRC the pickup got around 11 - 12 MPG but the pulling power was awesome and very noticeable improvement in stability over the previous Ram 1500 w/5.7 Hemi. With the 1500 you knew you were pulling but with the 2500, like nothing behind you.

PS: They use salt here now like they did in Mich. when there in the mid 80's
Sorry to hear about your wife's illness Eagle. We had planned a 10 day UP trip last Fall too but a couple of days before my husband had a problem with his hernia incision and we cancelled 5 campground reservations. It was good though because I got shingles a few days before the trip would have ended!! It was bad. Lasted 9 weeks! Fine now though.
Re: mileage. We will expect the usual 10-11 and hope for better. The diesel is well broke in lol!! The problem will be that when we camp we do tend to use the tow vehicle for exploring. The Chevy will be 2/3 worse for that at least. We get 17-19 with the Jeep.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

It seems age and health issues go hand in hand. Oooohh, shingles my dad had those once and not nice. I got the shingles shot at the VA in hopes I never get them as they are horrible!
Glad you healed and your hubby too. Wife had ruptured disc, 2nd time, finally had surgery again, neurosurgeon installed a cage separating 2 discs, screwed into place. He can eat top quality steaks for years now. ;-I

I know little about oil burners (diesel pickups) and got my 2500 from dealer Pennsylvania as all used 3/4 tons around here are oil burners with more miles than i was comfortable with for the $$. A newer, low mileage, used gas 3/4 ton is hard to find. Since the pickup would be my daily driver, mostly around town, didn't want an oil burner. The wife drives our Jeep Trail Hawk to work.

Best with the results of the inspection on the pickup.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Thanks Eagle. I was surprised at how quiet this truck is compared to the '89 Ford 350 diesel we had before. That Ford was really loud!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #10

Of note: My kid had a 2010 ? Ford oil burner and got rid of it because of the 'clean burn' system that uses DEF fluid. A light would come on saying to run it on the highway to clean out the exhaust system and he would have to run about 30 miles on the highway to do the clean out. That would even happen the day after returning from a 500 mile road trip. I don't know of Chevy has the same system.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Of note: My kid had a 2010 ? Ford oil burner and got rid of it because of the 'clean burn' system that uses DEF fluid. A light would come on saying to run it on the highway to clean out the exhaust system and he would have to run about 30 miles on the highway to do the clean out. That would even happen the day after returning from a 500 mile road trip. I don't know of Chevy has the same system.
We're looking at a Chevy (not Ford) diesel (not oil burner). I know you don't like diesels.
Maybe your son had one of these FORD problems.

6.4L Problems - Diesel Power Magazine

Interesting that a light could say that.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #12

Hi Mich,
I may be wrong, but I believe that Eagle was referring to a high mileage vehicle rather than manufacturer or diesel/gas... Of course, I may be wrong as I know little about a diesel TV...

BTW, I prefer a full synthetic oil if I can get it started between 20,000 and 40,000 miles... and then there is a frequency process to follow in the beginning... Changing to a full synthetic on a high mileage vehicle can actually lead to oil consumption (Oil Burning) and other problems... But, I love the stuff... Just my opinion, mind you...

Sooo, are you telling us that when you get your new TV, Trailer, Sell the House, and Downsize, you guys are going to visit everyone's area...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Mich,
I may be wrong, but I believe that Eagle was referring to a high mileage vehicle rather than manufacturer or diesel/gas... Of course, I may be wrong as I know little about a diesel TV...

BTW, I prefer a full synthetic oil if I can get it started between 20,000 and 40,000 miles... and then there is a frequency process to follow in the beginning... Changing to a full synthetic on a high mileage vehicle can actually lead to oil consumption (Oil Burning) and other problems... But, I love the stuff... Just my opinion, mind you...

Sooo, are you telling us that when you get your new TV, Trailer, Sell the House, and Downsize, you guys are going to visit everyone's area...
Eagle didn't mention mileage.
As far as synthetic oil goes, I know some swear by it for their motorcycles. But we won't be spending more than I paid for my first house ($15.000) on a tow vehicle. That definitely rules out anything with under 30,000 miles.
The truck we are looking at was a one owner vehicle. It has a clean Carfax and was obviously well cared for. We aren't afraid of the mileage. And, in fact, I am pleased with it's age because the way the EPA and manufacturers have screwed around with engines in the last 10 years you can have issues with newer vehicles just as easily. Check out the Long Long Honeymoon videos on YouTube re:his beloved Ford Seemore.
We aren't as afraid of miles as most people are. It depends on what you are looking for and how it was used.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Mich,

This is about DEF fluid used on oil burners of late.

Top 10 Facts About Diesel Exhaust Fluid - PickupTrucks.com News

Not sure what engine kids Ford pickup had but he bought it new a few years ago and traded it off (under 40,000 miles) because of the DEF system and went back to a gas motor.

Only mentioned to raise awareness if one wasn't.

UPDATE: From what I've just read, it's used on 2011 and NEWER trucks.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
This is about DEF fluid used on oil burners of late.

Top 10 Facts About Diesel Exhaust Fluid - PickupTrucks.com News

Not sure what engine kids Ford pickup had but he bought it new a few years ago and traded it off (under 40,000 miles) because of the DEF system and went back to a gas motor.

Only mentioned to raise awareness if one wasn't.

UPDATE: From what I've just read, it's used on 2011 and NEWER trucks.
Your article talks about 2008 and later diesel vehicles. We are looking at a 2006 Diesel )not an oil burner). As I mentioned to John, the EPA and Manufacturers have fiddled with new vehicles and screwed them up in many cases. Sorry your son had a bad experience. Maybe he should have saved his money and bought an older truck.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #16

So the one you are looking, being a 06, was produced before the EPA regs or whatever created use of DEF fluid. I view that as a positive for you!

I am not in any way 'degrading' diesels in pickups by calling them oil burners ~ that is a term used in the "pickup world" to denote diesel vs gas engines.

Actually, my son is very pleased with the new Chevy pickup he acquired when trading in his Ford diesel powered pickup.....but not an all together inexpensive lesson for him.

It's been said: "Experience is an excellent teacher"
Old 02-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #17

"Diesel fuel is safer than gas. If you crash and leak a puddle under the car; no crispy critter."
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #18

I'll not argue that aspect but thankfully, a fire created by a wreck is not the norm.

I drove a wrecker for some 5-8 years (late 60's - 70's) and never arrived upon a single accident scene with a fire involved...thank God!

I did, however, have to lift a burned pickup in a storage yard that several died in for some GM factory people. They took photos of every inch of the vehicle regarding a lawsuit brought against the mfg. It was all rusted metal ... but the still aroma lingered.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #19

For all those who have a diesel powered tow vehicle, here is a forum devoted specifically for you:

Why even bother | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net
Old 02-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
I'll not argue that aspect but thankfully, a fire created by a wreck is not the norm.

I drove a wrecker for some 5-8 years (late 60's - 70's) and never arrived upon a single accident scene with a fire involved...thank God!

I did, however, have to lift a burned pickup in a storage yard that several died in for some GM factory people. They took photos of every inch of the vehicle regarding a lawsuit brought against the mfg. It was all rusted metal ... but the still aroma lingered.
I didn't make that up, someone else said it and I just put it here.
But those of us who have been around a while surely remember the Pinto and the instances of gas tank ruptures when they were hit in the rear.
But I had a Corvair too. I was sad when Nader killed it off.
Yes, the common person has no idea of the horrors that tow truck drivers have to deal with at times. I remember that you said something about camping near lakes makes water smell fishy.