Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Default MANUAL OPERATION OF SLIDERS IN NEW FUN FINDERS

They tell me I need to unplug two electrical connections for manual operation of the slider. Hopefully I will never have to do that, especially if the slider is closed, because I'd have to remove the outdoor shower to access those connections if it was.

My question is, during manual operation, do you know if the slider can be manually pushed in and out? Additionally, lets say the slider is pushed in, what keeps it from sliding back out while driving?

Thank you for your input.

ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Team

I think the slideout mechanism is a bit different on the newer models than it is on mine, but to move mine manually its done mechanically by cranking it with a wrench. Not moved physically by pushing. I would think the newer models have a similar setup.

You should have a short bar that you wedge between wall and the frame of the slideout. It should look kinda like a short shower curtain rod with a rubber 'bumper' on each end. It should have a bright colored tag on it to help you remember to remove it before you try to extend the slide.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #3

Default Manual Slider Operation

You don't say what model you have, however one mechanism used by Cruiser RV is a Schwintek in-wall slide out. There is a control module for the slide out located under the wardrobe cabinet next to the slide out in mine. I had to remove the screws on the blank panel below the cabinet to access the module.
Follow this link: http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...out-system.pdf
to see the owners manual for this slide out. The manual has a trouble shooting flow chart, shows trouble codes for the module and 2 ways to manually operate the slide.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Sorry, I have a 2012 Fun Finder 210UDS
Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

Hey Thrasher, I believe that's the information I need. Thanks.......Have you ever had to do it? I hear the sliders are difficult to push.

Hopefully I'll never have to do this. If the slider fails on the 210UDS, then you have to access the electrical plugs through the outdoor shower. In other words, you have to remove outdoor shower.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #6

I have not had to do it, just wanted to be sure I knew how if necessary. I have only had this trailer since June.
Regarding manual operation, if you do have the Schwintek slide, you do not have to remove wires to operate it. Locate the control module (mine is behind a panel below the wardrobe.) I found mine by following the wires below the slide. The module has a manual retraction mode. If that doesn't work, then you need to disengage the two motors and man handle the slide in.
Let's hope neither of us has to do that.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Incidentally, I heard if you ever do have to manually operate a slide you want to be sure all power is off. You can get injured, especially if using a rachet. The motor might re-engage...........Ouch..
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #8

Default Many thanks

thrasher and ZZ,
thx so much for locating this info. I tried to find out how to perform manual operation from my dealer before we took off on our maiden trip in Sept... 'just in case'. They had NO clue and were not really too helpful in locating the info. I talked to one of the techs @ Cruiser who was very nice and told me "you just need to disconnect the two motor control wires at the synchronizer control module and it disconnects the electric brake on the motors so you can push in .." Well, time was tight when we left, so I really didn't try it until returning home. Good thing we didn't need to use it, because as you both obviously know, that does not work!

It appears from the video on UTube that Cruiser - rather LCI, who makes the slider - intends that you pack a pair of 2x4s along, cut to proper length to 'lock in' the slider so if you DO have to push it in, so it stays in while traveling. I guess that is better than suggesting the higher tech method of wrapping the trailer with a couple of large webbing straps to hold in the slide! Altho, the strap might not be a bad idea if you don't have some means to keep the 2x4 in place during travel. I have this picture of hitting a bump in the road, while going around a curve, 2x4 pops out and slide rolls out. (Sounds like something out of Lucile Ball's "The Long, Long Trailer", if you're old enough to know that old and funny movie.) Something tells me someone at LCI and Cruiser didn't think this through. From what we are finding with ours, that seems to be par for these.

Why doesn't Cruiser bother to 1) include ALL equipment manuals in their trailers and 2) have tech support that has information available on each model of trailer? We really like most aspects of our 214 so far, but have not been impressed with quality control or information provided by Cruiser to new owners or dealers.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Default Slide Out - Tough to move.

I have actually had to go through the process of moving the slide in on a cruiser product manually.

The wires from the controller were severed (owner created problem) and only one motor would work.

I started by accessing the controller and disconnecting the motor wiring harnesses for both motors from the controller. My helper and I both tried to push the slide in at the same time and it didn't budge.

We ended up accessing both motors from the outside of the unit that are mounted in the wall of the unit and disengaged them. At that point it is much easier to push the slide in.

We cut up several lengths of lumber to brace the slide from the inside and took the unit to the dealer for repairs.

I would say that the procedure should only be attempted by those that are technically inclined, AND have at the least read through the procedure or have watched the video.
CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

Default Slide Out - Tough to move

THX CubFan for the further knowledge.

It is good to hear from one who has actually done this! You say you cut several lengths of lumber to brace the slide. What points did you actually brace? Top and bottom? And in what approximate configuration? Nice to know what actually worked. THX again!

I think I'll share this with my dealer for their education! I left the trailer with them to work on my long list of warranty complaints on Nov. 7 and have not heard from them yet. Told them to take their time to get everything done right, but I may need to check up on them next week!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #11

Default Manual Slide

We cut two lengths slightly longer than the distance from the inside wall and the edge of the slide and wedged them in the sides towards the top of the slide. Just as a precaution we also laid two more lengths on top.
CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #12

THX CubFan ..... After posting my question, I came across my two ratchet cargo bars I sometimes use in the bed of the truck ... they would likely work nicely without having to worry about surface damage from 'wedging' action. Maybe I need to pack them routinely as 'insurance'!

Example of what I'm talking about, http://www.amazon.com/Highland-19702.../dp/B0002MAB8M

THX again

2012 FF X-214WSD
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #13

I also received incomplete owners manuals and had the same questions about the manual override for the slideout. I called Lippert who manufactured the Schwintek InWall Slideout that was installed in my 2012 214WSD and spoke with a man named Gary Stillwell. He is extremely nice and informative and has gone out of his way to provide me with any information I've requested on Lippert components. The manual is on their website and by all means look at the YouTube video at I have had another issue with instructions for the manual override on the electric tongue jack and stabilizer jacks. No instructions, no jack handle if the motor fails or power fails. According to the instructions that Gary provided there is a manual jack handle available but my unit did not have it with it. Again Gary is tracking that down for me. I agree with some of the other posts. My unit is wonderful and I absolutely love it but the support information from Cruiser is definitely lacking.

masonlinc is offline   Reply With Quote