Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Mice, come on in for the winter

Wow !!!Stored my new 2012 Funfinder 214 WSD for 3 weeks now...Thought I would check things out in there ...Guess what..Mice everywhere....Started checking how they could have gotten in...Found a hole under hot water tank, a hole under shower, a hole under sink. These 3 holes were inch and a half big...Found another hole under the shower..Actually where the P trap of the shower goes, 8inc by 1 foot..Unbeleivable...Mice help yourself for the winter....When passing wires or pipes through a camper or rv, you'd think the builders would plug these holes...Called customers service...The anwser..Well plug the holes.. NO KIDDING " plug the holes " Also upon purchase, as I walked in this unit, I saw a hole about 3/4 inc on each side of the pull out. I pointed it out to the dealer and said I would plug them as soon as I get home..Never would of thought the buiders of campers would neglect such important things...Wow!! NOT IMPRESSED...

ecrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

First thing that I did when I got my unit was to get a can of expanding foam and fill all the holes that I could see and some that I thought were there. Well two cans later I am still finding holes where the critters can get in. Got the same reply from where I purchased my RV. Had the same problem with another brand that I had before this one. They are all the same, saw a TV program some time ago where they are supposed to put air pressure into a trailer and measure the leakage. Well my unit would have failed the test big time so I wonder if the tester was off the day my unit was made.

Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #3

Holes aside, I have found that dryer sheets and boxed Irish Spring soaps left all over the place help a lot (keep the soap in the box). Tape up exhaust holes too for the winter.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

I did the expanding foam thing as well afetr I bought a few years ago - Also check the inside of the wheel wells- gaps and cracks that they easily get into. Mice have no problem climbing the side of the tires making this the entry point.
eplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #5

Ya, well, so far so good...Pluged what I could see...No mice since...I am still very pi$$ed with cruiser for neglecting plugging the holes...
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

I bought an electronic device that keeps the little buggers out.
My unit is plugged all the time and i have never had a mouse in any of my trailers.
1959 Mooney M20A
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #7

What is the device called?..I done some research on them and found that they are a scam...Maby some actually work...Willing to give it a try...It works for you...
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

It doesn't matter what trailer you buy , a forest river, jayco, Heartland what ever brand it may be , mice will climb in each RV and get them self comfy for the winter., it is not just Cruiser rv that has issues with gaps between piping.
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

I know what you mean ..But.....In 1989 I bought a 24 foot Terry Taurus...Every hole that a pipe or a wire passed through had been pluged by the factory ....Well built unit...Never had a mouse in there...We are now 2012, you'd think companies would get better and smarter and learn ...But no...They just don't build things like they use to...cars, furniture, appliances...ect...Everything is built fast and as cheap as possible..Not built to last...You take it home and you have to work on it...
Oh well...That's how it goes...
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #10

Ecrof: Victor is the brand name and the product is called " Pest chaser".
I got them at Canadian Tire here in Edmonton.
I have used them for the last few years and did not have a mouse in my old trailer. I just bought 2 more today for the new unit.

The reason some people may have had limited success is that you have to use more than 1, especially on large trailers as they have a limited range and do not go through walls or furniture.

I have 2 in my trailer.

Good luck

Russ
1959 Mooney M20A
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

When I brought my new toy hauler home, first thing I did was mouse proof it.
Went underneath and foam filled every open space beside any wire, pipe or whatever that went thru the floor. Also used steel wool in some areas before the foam.

It is stored for the winter - inside storage w/no access until spring. As as added precaution, I took cotton balls and sprinkled them with balsam fir needle oil. It's natural and the scent repels mice.

Also tossed in acouple "Fresh Cab" packet with the active ingredent balsam fir needle oil.

Fresh Cab is available at many farm stores and on Amazon.com.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Just went out to check the trailer today for the first time all winter and the electronic mouse repellants are working fine.
We actually had a mouse issue in the workshop this winter so i was concerned.
There is no sign of the little pests anywhere.
1959 Mooney M20A
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #13

Mine will come out of storage for pickup April 4th or 5th.

I am not expecting any insect or mice infestation.