Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Default My XT276 came out of winter storage today!

Really nice to see my toy hauler again after it's long winters' nap.

I picked it up this afternoon from storage and brought her home. The switch from my 1/2 ton pickup to the 2014 Ram 2500 was very noticeable ~ so much that I didn't even feel it behind me.

I did notice that the camper tongue is a bit high so will have to adjust the head of the Equalizer hitch a tad lower so everything sits level again. A bit to cool (in the 40's) and windy w/sprinkles today so gonna wait until a bit warmer weather.

Then, it will be air the tires, torque the wheels, check all the systems and clean the unit so ready for the first outing of the season.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

Hi Eagle,
It always feels good when the trailer comes out of storage!!

Have you decided on where you are headed for your 2016 maiden voyage?

We are getting a little snow flurry here this morning, but it looks to be slowly warming.... Hmmm, I wounder if it was that box of donuts I sent to the weather department...???

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

Actually haven't decided where this years maiden voyage will be to but know it won't be for a few weeks minimum with the cool, cloudy and very windy weather we have been having.

Busy adjusting the Equalizer hitch today but it pretty chilly outside. Also need to give the exterior it's spring scrubbing too when it warms more.

LOL ~ not sure if donuts help with the weather department... .
Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Actually haven't decided where this years maiden voyage will be to but know it won't be for a few weeks minimum with the cool, cloudy and very windy weather we have been having.

Busy adjusting the Equalizer hitch today but it pretty chilly outside. Also need to give the exterior it's spring scrubbing too when it warms more.

LOL ~ not sure if donuts help with the weather department... .
Hi Eagle,
I heard the wind last night and woke up to a beautiful (sick) 30 deg. , snowing, upper Midwest SPRING morning... The extended weather report says around the 23rd it will be staying warmer...
Attached Thumbnails
Snow Driveway April 8 2016__800 pix.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Eagle,
I heard the wind last night and woke up to a beautiful (sick) 30 deg. , snowing, upper Midwest SPRING morning... The extended weather report says around the 23rd it will be staying warmer...
....the 23rd of what ? ....July ??? !!!

just kidding ....here's hoping things warm up soon for you.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

We didn't get any snow here the other day but lots of wind and late today it made it into the LOW 40's once the cloud cover moved out.

I adjusted my Equalizer hitch the other day and today (in the cold) hooked the TV to the camper and checked everything out. The measurements came out super so went for a short 10 miles drive to see how everything handled ~ it was great even in the wind.

And while I was gone, FedEx delivered the new tonneau cover for the pickup .. a Bak Industries hard rolling cover, the Revolver X2. My selections were limited since the pickup has the Rambox option which I love! Provides convenient and super storage for all those 'necessities' w/easy access....and secure too.

I installed the cover this afternoon ~ took a bit longer than anticipated as the rails were a real 'beech' to install into the Rambox rails. The final result is great and the cover looks super so worth the effort.

Also reserved my indoor storage location again for this coming winter.

It was a busy day with good results...so I'm pleased.

Now, need some warmer weather to prep the camper and make an excursion.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

You'll like that cover. I had one the truck before my current F-250. The only thing you have to watch for is freezing and thawing in the winter will freeze the track down. You can usually work it loose, but I had to put my bullet heater on the tailgate once to thaw it. It's a good looking cover.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Good to hear eagle , did you get the Cummins in your 2500 ? Loving my 3500 dually pulling this new 5th wheel cyclone . It's night and day diffence in towing ! I went down to destin flordia 2 weeks ago and saw a bunch of fun finders and shadows on the way down there and in some of th camp sites we stayed at . Never saw any when I had my 276 xt !! Lol Don't really miss it at all now with the replacement !!
Just saw you have the hemi , what kind of mileage you getting ?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
You'll like that cover. I had one the truck before my current F-250. The only thing you have to watch for is freezing and thawing in the winter will freeze the track down. You can usually work it loose, but I had to put my bullet heater on the tailgate once to thaw it. It's a good looking cover.
Yes, I like the cover and have received several compliments on it from others already. It is a nice clean look sitting flush with the box.

I did notice the 4 corners don't seal as tight as they could/should so will be addressing that issue so moisture cannot enter the track.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityman View Post
Good to hear eagle , did you get the Cummins in your 2500 ? Loving my 3500 dually pulling this new 5th wheel cyclone . It's night and day diffence in towing ! I went down to destin flordia 2 weeks ago and saw a bunch of fun finders and shadows on the way down there and in some of th camp sites we stayed at . Never saw any when I had my 276 xt !! Lol Don't really miss it at all now with the replacement !!
No, no diesel wanted. IF I were a full timer it may have been a consideration but only maybe 30% of the miles is for 'camper use'.....and the only thing I will probably pull.

I wanted gas and got the 6.4 Liter Hemi. It's a screamer now and if I add the Diablo Trinity tuner it will be even better with acouple of tunes, one for pulling and one for economy when not towing.

I hunted for months to find a 2500 4x4 with a 6.4 Liter Hemi and low miles (about 20,000) as most on the market are diesels with 100,000 plus miles on them. I found it on the net 1,600 miles away, had it shipped in and am most pleased as the buying price was about $7,000 below average market in this area.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

As for mileage, only been puttin around town mostly and avg is 14 with temps in the teens night and mostly highs of 40's daytime.

Tomorrow will be making a 450 mile round trip run (not pulling) so will have an idea what highway mileage is running mostly interstate at 80 MPH, the speed limit...unless I push it some.

How about your mileage with the diesel?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #12

Just got home from my run with the pickup.

I filled gas when I left and didn't fill again until I got back.

Overall trip MPG with the pickup was 17.4 running the speed limit.

Pretty pleased with that!